War, Oil, Euro v. US Economy...Does This Make Sense to You?

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:13 pm
But the whole point is that the US can get away with printing dollars without causing a catastrophic collapse in its value because it is the world reserve currency. And a large part of that is because it is linked to a global commodity which has real international value....oil.

Saddam moved from the dollar to the euro in November 2000. I dont think it's a coincidence that the first thing the CPA did was switch Iraqi oil exports back to the dollar.

The US govt is terrified that OPEC might start using the euro in preference to the dollar, that would really challenge the role of the dollar as the primary world currency.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:37 pm
And now the threats against major banks and the world bank here in the US.

So, it's NOT our FREEDOM they hate...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:41 am
No its not the west's freedom that the extremist Islamists hate, its the west's meddling in Islamic countries where they feel we have no business.

I dont believe the Muslims want to establish a world wide caliphate. Or rather those that do are being used by western intelligence as double or triple agents.

I think world wide terrorism, most of it linked to various wacky Islamic sects, is being used by the west to justify what the west needs and wants to do. I'm not saying these people arn't a danger to us, they certainly are, but they also serve a purpose.

America used bin Laden and his gang of cut throats to help throw the Russians out of Afghanistan. At what point did UBL cease to be an american asset, and become the primary enemy and bogey man of the Western world? Was it before or after 9/11?

I dont know the answers, but the questions have a right to be put.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:52 am
It must have been during Clinton's watch because Bill had the chance to grab OBL up and blew it. Counter-Terrorism wasn't an important part of the Clinton Regime. despite the fact that al Qaeda was behind numerous attacks on US interests.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
The current admin had plenty of opportunities to grab OBL as well, if you believe the reports that came out from military intelligence, and has thus far blown it. Does that make them equally responsible?

Counter-terrorism IS an important part of the current regime, and they STILL haven't got him. In many ways, that's worse than not taking any action at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 11:32 am
Oh, yeah! The good ol' "your guy is worse, look at what he's done instead of looking at what my guy did" dodge. I love that tactic.

I think I will name that the "RedHeat Effect" for future reference.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 11:34 am
Oh, I'm not trying to pump Clinton up by doing this. I think both these admins screwed the pooch on this one mightily. Just waiting to hear you say it, too :grin:

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 11:54 am
So both you guys think - the mad muslims want to kill us because they hate us because they are jealous of our freedom and they are mad?

Well certainly thats the govt line
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 11:56 am
Question Are you referring to me? I don't recall saying that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:00 pm
Me neither.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:05 pm
Well thats the impression you both give from the last few posts. Clinton screwed up. Bush screwed up worse (or not). Suppose there is some much more subtle game going on here?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:08 pm
The "mad" muslims are at war now. They are at war against everything that would or could hurt their fanatic beliefs in Islam that is counter to traditional Islam. Osama see's modernization as being contrary to Islam. He see's any influence from the west as an attempt to destroy Islam whether it is or not. He does not care what the people think, he is only concerned about what his definition of Islam is and how it should be carried out.

This war will never cease until either Islam changes or all the "mad" muslims are dead. Until that time, there will continue to be terrorist attacks because that is the only effective method the terrorists have as they stand little chance against the west in a straight forward conventional war. So, it is now up to the west to be able to ferret out these little bands of terrorists and erase them. It is also our responsibility to see to it that they are not funded and they have no access to weapons or WMD's. That is one of the reason's we invaded Iraq. As a part of the war on terror.

We are now GUARANTEED that saddam will not be giving money or weapons to terrorists. Hopefully ot will be an example to other countries that continue to fund and arm terrorists.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:10 pm
Let me clarify my position on the issue.

Quote:
No its not the west's freedom that the extremist Islamists hate, its the west's meddling in Islamic countries where they feel we have no business.

I agree with you 100%. Reread some of my earlier posts and you'll see more expanded thoughts on the subject.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:14 pm
Quote:
Osama see's modernization as being contrary to Islam. He see's any influence from the west as an attempt to destroy Islam whether it is or not. He does not care what the people think, he is only concerned about what his definition of Islam is and how it should be carried out.

you seem remarkably well informed about the inner mind of mr osama bin laden, McG. Was he thinking the same way when he was directing his fanatical followers to cut the throats of Russian conscripts at the behest of the American Government?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:15 pm
ok Cyclo, I admit to not reading all your posts Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:19 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Quote:
Osama see's modernization as being contrary to Islam. He see's any influence from the west as an attempt to destroy Islam whether it is or not. He does not care what the people think, he is only concerned about what his definition of Islam is and how it should be carried out.

you seem remarkably well informed about the inner mind of mr osama bin laden, McG. Was he thinking the same way when he was directing his fanatical followers to cut the throats of Russian conscripts at the behest of the American Government?

I used to have afternoon tea with him in the early 80's. We fought back the Communist aggressors. Since then, he "found Allah" and was born again. This time against anything that would threaten his new "born again" attitude. This new attitude meant no longer having afternoon tea.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:19 pm
Especially Long Island tea
0 Replies