Special license plates for DUI convictions: good idea or not?

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:17 pm
I read that in Ohio they issue special license plates for people who have been convicted of a DUI.

At first I thought "that's a good idea" but after thinking about it for a bit I'm not so sure.

My sister got a DUI once. ONCE. She was young and she went on and lived her life and I imagine that having to have a beacon showing what she did could have been a not good thing.

I could see it as a good thing if there were restrictions on your license but only for the duration of the restriction. (I'm not sure how Ohio's thing works -- maybe you get your old license plate back eventually.)

What do you think? Is this a good idea or not?

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:21 pm
@boomerang,
I think it could be a good idea if limited for say the time a person is on probation for said conviction. After that they should be allowed to go back to normal plates.
roger

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:35 pm
@boomerang,
Why don't we just brand them, or maybe a tattoo on the forehead? Leaving space to note multiple convictions, of course.
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:51 pm
@roger,
It does seem a little "Scarlet Letter" doesn't it?
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's kind of what I was thinking.

I know as it stands now it's almost impossible to keep repeat offenders off the roads. Maybe issue the special plate to habitual offenders instead of to everyone....
roger

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 05:41 pm
@boomerang,
Upon thinking, it's probably a good idea. I know every time I saw someone with a DWI or DUI plate making a screwy turn in traffic, I'm calling the law.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 05:48 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

It does seem a little "Scarlet Letter" doesn't it?
That 's what I was thinking.
Is the conviction written on the plate in scarlet letters????
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 05:56 pm
@boomerang,
do you have to carry the plates with you and put them on every car you drive?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 06:11 pm
@boomerang,
I'm not sure how far this other idea got in real world but when some drivers who were convicted with DUI, got their car back they have agree to have a breathalyzer attachment installed. This means any time they start their car, they have to breathe into the tester and the car won]'t start if the have alcohol on their breath. I like that marginally better than the DUI plates, which I think would be killed as unconstitutional.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 08:15 am
@boomerang,
I looked up some more info on this.

http://www.omgfacts.com/Interesting/Ohio-and-Minnesota-have-special-license/52528

The Ohio plates are differently colored than the regular plates, and they are issued for the period the DUI driver has restricted driving privileges (can only drive to work, to school, etc.). I guess that makes them easier to spot if they drive to areas outside those restrictions, so it can have enforcement value.

Other states issue special plates, or specially marked plates as well.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/special-plates-for-drunk-driving-offenders.aspx

Is it a good idea? I have mixed feelings about it.

Plates are issued to the registered owner of the car, and the DUI driver might not be the owner. Should the registered owner have to use these plates if another family member, or friend, got the DUI when driving their car? That wouldn't make much sense.

Since the DUI offender isn't always the registered owner, the idea of special plates seems to have limited value.

Ragman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 08:27 am
@firefly,
With the current Internet database resources online available to patrolling police while in the car, they can run plates in 3-5 seconds. This query of info would yield those DUI restrictions. Just an FYI.

Likewise they can do this while in a restaurant or pub parking lot and run the plate records against the state and national database for the whole parking lot in about 10 minutes. This was true for about 60% of police forces 10 yrs ago when I was involved in documenting the GUI as a technical writer for (a div. of Motorola) in the public safety industry. I would guess that nowadays, it's more likely to be at 90% of the urban area police forces that have the capacity - without needing to call the query into the dispatcher.

Personally, I see no need to make an alternative plate and see dubious constitutional issues as to changing status to a DUI plate. Something about 5th Amendment issues..smells to me..but admittedly I'm no lawyer.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 09:27 am
Good idea. If we can make people sign registers for certain crime or to be on probation, this is a reasonable request.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 10:10 am
Why not put them in stocks in a public square, with a placard reading "DUI" hung around their neck? If this idea is good, then that one is even better. It's the exact same logic, but more so.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 10:21 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I know as it stands now it's almost impossible to keep repeat offenders off the roads.
Why is that so? In other countries, you loose your driving licence, go to prison ...

I know that you Americans have a different idea about privacy than we do.
But if this really such a good idea - why should it be limited to just one offense? (Public humiliation as punishment was quite common here in Europe ... until the late 18th century.)
0 Replies

darthtig

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 04:01 pm
@boomerang,
I don't think it is a good idea.
It singles people out.

It's like wearing a scarlet letter.

Poor Hester Prynne.
0 Replies

darthtig

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 04:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Heyy! Great minds think a like!

Yes! Scarlet Letter!

Another analogy I thought of just now were the markings of the Jews when they were in concentration camps.
Sad =(
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 05:16 pm
@boomerang,
Here is some info on the Mn version of those plates.

http://m.careydwidefense.com/MN-Whiskey-Plates.html
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 02:31 am
In Ohio the DUI plates do not belong to the operator, they belong to the state. Once the DUI period is successfully completed the operator is required to return the plates to the DMV and the operator is allowed to purchase normal plates. If the operator does not successfully complete the period, the state collects the plates and the operator is not allowed to purchase new plates.

The special DUI plated are tied to the operator and their license.

The system works pretty well and has successfully prevented repeated DUIs.

BTW they have colloquially become known as 'party' tags--and operating an automobile with 'party' tags will almost guarantee that the car will be pulled over by the police for an impromptu sobriety check.

Having lived under this system and having friends who've been issued these 'party' tags it is considered effective.

As for the Scarlet Letter comments, one has to remember that driving is a privilege and providing a means of publicly identifying potential dangerous drivers is justified for maintaining public safety.

Moreover, I would consider a similar system for drivers known to text while driving.

Rap
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 11:27 am
"No expects the Spanish Inquisition !"

This is just a sad remnant of Puritanism. Want to track the DUI driver? GPS tag all the vehicles the offender owns or operates.
(Even that has problems, if a 22 offender gets a car tag, can his mother drive it to a local bar and park there while she and her friends have a glass of wine?)

Joe(Mom, Dad, you may have a little problem driving home from work for the next eight months.)Nation
0 Replies