One Fact Is Irrefutable

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:30 am
Our ability, and I mean the USA, except for extremists, a few of which you will find in this forum, has lost for God only knows how long the ability to claim the moral high ground in anything it does.

You can put a sock in the statement that as a miserable Saddam loving liberal I am just gloating, because I am none of those things. I am deeply saddened and disgusted by this situation.

And yet, the men in charge are unbending, unyielding and unapologetic, again except to those extremists who swallow this "hat in hand" dog and pony show going on in the media.

An example of how the men in charge really feel...
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/402308|top|05-09-2004::07:28|reuters.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 660 • Replies: 10
No top replies

greenumbrella

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:50 am
The irony is what took place at the Iraqi prison is on par with the atrocities committed by Saddam Hussein. In fact, it appears to the Arab world to be even worse.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:55 am
greenumbrella wrote:
The irony is what took place at the Iraqi prison is on par with the atrocities committed by Saddam Hussein. In fact, it appears to the Arab world to be even worse.

I agree wholeheartedly. Of course it will be said that our atrocities are okay, because they're done in the name of freedom and democracy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:04 am
as I posted when this story/pictures first broke
the war for Iraq is over, we can only dig ourselves deeper or we can bug out.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:06 am
dyslexia wrote:
as I posted when this story/pictures first broke
the war for Iraq is over, we can only dig ourselves deeper or we can bug out.

Man, I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with everyone......
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 10:08 am
!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 10:25 am
look on the bright side; the 'intelligent' right is now leaving the sinking ship, and the only thing that can save the U.S. in the eyes of the rest of the world, is a change of regime; removing the 'source of evil' from the top - hmm, sounds familiar doesn't it! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 10:44 am
THE SKY IS FALLING!

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:01 pm
one extremist heard from.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:29 pm
the sky is not falling, the ground is coming up.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 03:00 pm
!
"The only way Rumsfeld will resign or be fired is if he becomes a huge liability for Bush's election campaign. It is a strictly political consideration, and what must be remembered is that this group in the White House and Pentagon have never admitted they've been wrong.

They stated with absolute certainty that Iraq possessed huge stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction and launched a war on that premise. They blew the cover of CIA operative Valerie Plame to punish her husband (former ambassador Joseph Wilson) when he revealed the truth about the Niger uranium lie in the president's State of the Union Address. They ignored the warnings and advice of Middle East experts regarding the difficulties of postwar Iraq, resulting in the ensuing chaos and loss of life.

Yet when Bush was asked at a recent press conference what his biggest mistake was, he searched his brain and couldn't think of one. This group will do everything they can to maintain this façade of infallibility because it has worked well so far -- Bush has a damn good chance to win in November.

Rumsfeld's dismissal would set a precedent of admitting culpability. It is obvious that Rumsfeld, and ultimately Bush, are responsible for the debacle of Abu Ghraib, because they rejected the Geneva Conventions and removed the safeguards which may have prevented most of the abuse.

A responsible nation (and not just a few Democratic politicians) would not only demand Rumsfeld's resignation, but would overwhelmingly reject another term for the Bush administration. What will happen instead is that a big show will be made of prosecuting the prison guards and some low-level officers, and any further calls for Rumsfeld's resignation will be characterized as political opportunism by the Democrats at the expense of the mission in Iraq, and the public will be distracted from the real damage that has been done. The price will be paid with the lives of American troops and innocent civilians; Abu Ghraib is a major battle that was lost in the "war on terror."

But the Bush administration will resist paying any political price, and will certainly not accept responsibility for what's happened. Saying you accept responsibility is not the same as taking responsibility. Taking responsibility means doing the right thing in the first place, then accepting the consequences when you fail in the first place.

To date, the Bush administration has paid no consequences.

The president should have fired those who told him there was "no doubt" Iraq had WMD; he should have exposed and indicted the "senior White House officials" who destroyed Valerie Plame's CIA career, and he should fire Rumsfeld now.

No one has been held accountable in this administration; punishment is reserved for whistle-blowers, truth-tellers, and career public servants who dare to cross them.

The real shame, besides what happened in Abu Gharib, would be if the American people fail to hold Bush accountable for the many crimes and blunders committed by his administration. If America endorses Bush with another four years, then WE deserve the consequences."

Martin Eden Sat May-08-04 04:26 AM

* I couldn't say it any better than Martin has.
0 Replies