Food poisoining

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 05:22 pm
I took my daughter to a family dinner this weekend at a pizza place, the following night she was vomiting so much she became lethargic and I had to rush her to the hospital. She is only 2, and weights 28lbs she threw up for 16 hours straight, she was very sick. Then came the diarrhea, she is finally well. I called the restraunt they says she must have a virus, because they are not responsible for this. The doctors says this was food poisioning. I think she got it at the restraunt because the other people we ate with also got sick, except 1 person she didnt eat! Should I get a lawyer? What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:15 pm
Unless you paid for the full doctor's fees out of your own pocket and they were substantial, the cost of a lawyer and filing fees is going to greatly exceed any damages you likely be able to claim.

If you think it's worth spending $3,000 to get $50 back then go for it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:56 pm
Hmm, I would call the public health department. A place in my university town got closed from time to time (this was back in the old days, before grading, and so on). I well remember when my boss, the secretary, and another associate had mutual nights of dismay. I think it was the mayonaise.

I am glad she is well now. If this ever happens again - first of all check, there might be some websites that tell you how to keep her hydrated while she goes through this - it is important that people don't become dehydrated, and further, lose electrolyte balance. I might drink some gatorade myself, but not sure if that is right. Again, I'd call or visit someone in the Public Health Department for the city or county.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:14 pm
I agree with ossobuco. By all means contact the health department. The restaurant is using improper refrigeration for the meat products on the pizzas and needs to change their procedures. And then contact the management of the restaurant, and if you get the runaround, which it appears you did, try to contact the corporate offices. If you don't get any satisfaction, you can always threaten to go to the press.
0 Replies

Christinagome

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 05:24 pm
The thing that makes me so mad is the restraunt really doesn't care, They say she had a stomach virus, and "Sorry" I missed 3 days of work & not to mention the preschool I pay for. And now Im gonna have a hospital bill for an overnight stay.
0 Replies

Christinagome

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 05:27 pm
OH, and the health bored says they are going to "talk" to the restraunt! I am really mad! My daughter was seriously ill.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:32 pm
Do you know the others who were sick? They should all complain to the health board.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:56 am
I agree with ossobuco. I would think your concern would also be that the restaurant is not taking responsibility and therefore other people could get sick. The Public Health Department should ensure that the restaurant takes appropriate action to ensure no one else gets sick. I would ask the Health Board to report back to you and see if they can let you know what the results were.

One other thought - check with your local better business bureau. You can report the incident and they are supposed to research each complaint.
0 Replies