Homeschooling and Irony

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 12:13 pm
The people arguing that public education is indoctrinating and hurting kids and that homeschooling is the best way to teach kids, are the same people arguing that the moon is man made and that humans lived with dinosaurs.

Discuss.

Baldimo

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 12:40 pm
@maxdancona,
You seem to be painting with a pretty broad brush there Max. My dad home schools my little sisters and they do not hold such beliefs. The neighbors down the street home school their kids, and they are lefties. So out of the 2 families that I know that home school, 1 is right wing and 1 is left wing. Your argument is invalid.

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 01:02 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The people arguing that public education is indoctrinating and hurting kids and that homeschooling is the best way to teach kids, are the same people arguing that the moon is man made and that humans lived with dinosaurs.

Discuss.

This one is really the dumbest posting I have seen today.
You aren´t very logical, because you want to make people ´ guilty by association.´
Furthemore you are generalising a lot. `The people...´ The people arguing that public education is indoctrinating and hurting kids and that homeschooling is the best way to teach kids, are the same people arguing that the moon is man made and that humans lived with dinosaurs.

Discuss.

You just proved you can´t think straight and are indeed indoctrinated.
and you write ´The people arguing ..` is a HUGE generalisation-
why don´t you see that,

You see, it is not about it being unbelievable or what have you, but the only real question is, is it true. And it really seems you don´t dare to ask yourself that , and reject things you know nothing about by reflex action.
Just like a robot, or software and that is what it is.

another thing which is ridiculous, I never have written anywhere that
`humans lived with dinosaurs` or maybe you can show me?

there is a name for what you are doing.

Anyway, it is fairy unfair and rather dumb what you are doing, so I don´t will ask you why did that? Smile

0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 01:03 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
You seem to be painting with a pretty broad brush there Max. My dad home schools my little sisters and they do not hold such beliefs. The neighbors down the street home school their kids, and they are lefties. So out of the 2 families that I know that home school, 1 is right wing and 1 is left wing. Your argument is invalid.

My point exactly!
Thank you.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 01:48 pm
Did anyone notice the final word of the post, all by itself?

Quote:
Discuss
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 01:58 pm
I was a teacher, and so was the mother of our children. We had pretty radical ideas but we agreed that we didn't have a lot of time for home schooling, among our reasons were these, I guess:

No matter how well designed home school programs are they will not be a match for a nationally recognized school curriculum with examinations and accreditation.

Unless you have trained and hold qualifications as a teacher you will not be able to teach your children as efficiently as a trained professional teacher would.

The stress that it will place on parents and children is enormous. Not only do you have to prepare lessons on every subject, but you also need to have researched each topic enough to feel comfortable answering questions your child may have. This is a huge amount of work.

There is the question of how to present the lessons. This is something teachers are trained to do. If the child is struggling to understand then they could blame you, resulting in animosity and resentment between you and your child.

One of the biggest drawbacks in my opinion is that children can miss out on the opportunity to interact with other children. This can stunt their development socially as they do not learn how to communicate or behave in group settings. This is obviously a vital skill in living and working as an adult.
Setanta

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:00 pm
Hear, hear . . . especially the "pressure cooker" comments and the lack of ordinary socialization experiences. Additionally, in the United States at least, the point of home schooling is indocrination.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:32 pm
@contrex,
When was the last time you reviewed a Home School program? You are passing just as many bad judements as Max is with this topic.

Socialization issues? Do you realize that there are programs outside of school? Martial arts classes? Dance classes? Sports programs put out by the Recreational programs in the local areas offer more than enough interaction for home schooled children. When it comes to the learning side of this, there are a lot of online classes. My sisters have at least 2 subjects that they take that are done via a virtual class room. Webcams for all the students and the teacher, so they can interact with each other and the teacher.

My sisters take tae kwon do and ballet. They have a very solid group of friends that are a mix of home schooled kids and public school kids. Just because they don't go to public school doesn't mean they are hermits who never leave the house and only associate with their "own kind".

maxdancona

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:41 pm
@Baldimo,
I don't think I have made any bad judgments. I just stated a fact.

Quehoniaomath is claiming that the purpose of public school is to make students dumb. He or she has also stated that the moon is an artificial object. Gungasnake has a similar view on public education as Quehoniaomath. Gungasnake believes that dinosaurs lived with humans.

I have never said that everyone who supports or engages in homeschooling promotes wacky ideas. I am just pointing out the irony that here on Able2know, the people who seem to be railing against public education in favor of homeschooling are people with rather strange ideas about reality.

I find that ironic.
roger

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quehoniaomath is claiming that the purpose of public school is to make students dumb. He or she has also stated that the moon is an artificial object. Gungasnake has a similar view on public education as Quehoniaomath. Gungasnake believes that dinosaurs lived with humans.

Yes, we do tend to consider one post in the context of the poster's body of posts, and rightly so.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 03:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Discuss.

Considering that those that go to regular schools might become adults that might accept nations having no borders, or universal citizenship, or the U.S. military being subordinated under non-U.S. commanders, I am not so sure that regular schooling is really good for U.S. society. Don't discuss; cogitate and ruminate.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 03:48 pm
@Foofie,
Did you attend public schools, Foofie?
Foofie

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 03:51 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Did you attend public schools, Foofie?

Yes, and I skipped a grade. If I doubled up in English (to take the English Regents), I would have graduated at 15 1/2. As it was, I graduated three months past my 16th birthday. I needed working papers to get a full time job. I didn't go to college until after the military. I am a classic underachiever.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 03:58 pm
@Foofie,
So then Foofie, having a public school education on biology, history, reading, literature and math didn't turn you into a raving liberal after all, did it.

It it true that reality has a well-known liberal bias. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't learn about reality in school.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 04:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Discuss... ?
Surely this is one for the "problem posters" thread.
Most of us have progressed beyond the level of junior high school debate.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 04:22 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Most of us have progressed beyond the level of junior high school debate.

... and yet you feel compelled to join in Fresco. That's funny.
fresco

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 04:36 pm
@maxdancona,
"Joining in" ? Anything but !
I am merely registering surprise that we are still giving this protagonist the oxygen of publicity. My demolition job can be found on his original thread. He is now on ignore.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 11:24 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

I have never said that everyone who supports or engages in homeschooling promotes wacky ideas. I am just pointing out the irony that here on Able2know, the people who seem to be railing against public education in favor of homeschooling are people with rather strange ideas about reality.

I find that ironic.

You seem to think that what is taught in schools is right and what not is taught in schools is wrong. That remains to be seen.
If you want to be fair investigate! I am all for that, because I am for truth.
School doesn''t learn you truth but indoctrinates, that's my whole point.
Investigate for yourself, I am not afraid for people who do that, please do
Do children learn to question everything at school? hell, no! They learn to obey and memorize. and in the meantinme their spirit is killed.

One other thing, you are an example for me for what indoctrination by schools do!
You seem to think that someone with completely other ideas as being ridiculous. And this by reflex action.
That's also the problem with public schooling, no individual thinking allowed!

To all parents out there, research 'common core', your child is subjected to this crap!

Common Core State Standards - An Introduction To Marxism 101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-PbcIulMl8

Brilliant anti-Common Core Speech by Dr. Duke Pesta
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Brilliant+anti-Common+Core+Speech+by+Dr.+Duke+Pesta
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 11:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Hmmn, that sound a lot like a statement rather than an opinion max.

Surely you can provide us with statistical evidence to back up your statement.

After all, you're a poster with integrity.

(Really didn't think I would be able to demonstrate your hypocrisy so quickly... thanks)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 11:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Wow! You've doubled down!
0 Replies