Should I go back to homeschooling?

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 05:22 am
Hi.
Before I ask my question, just a quick background: I have always been a straight A student and on top of my class.

I have been in public school for 8 years (kindergarten till 7th grade).
Last year I did homeschooling (8th grade), which was an amazing experience. I had no problem adjusting to the system at all, I also passed all my subjects with A's.

So this year I started public school again, but I somehow feel that it holds me back and reduces my productivity. I feel as if though when I did homeschooling, I was a lot more committed, productive, positive and overall just a lot happier.

In my personal opinion and experience, I feel as if public school suppresses the opportunity for personal growth and self expression.

In public school, it is hard to focus 100% on academics, since a lot of attention is devoted to the other students, as well as unnecessary drama from the teachers.

Public school, for me- causes a lot of unnecessary anxiety and pressure. It doesn't fully allow "breathing space" to find a spiritual and mental balance (which in my opinion, is also necessary to succeed academically)

My dad is the person who schooled me last year, but he says that from the 10th grade onward, the study material is going to be a lot more complex, and he wouldn't be able to teach and explain it as well as the way a teacher in public school would. I agree with this.

But on the other hand, we can get a tutor to help with the more complex subjects.

As I said, I just feel like public school holds me back and doesn't allow my potential to fully and freely develop.
Any advice or opinions would be appreciated regarding this debate of whether or not I should return to homeschooling.

Kind regards,
Megan.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 808 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 09:15 am
@megan9901,
As a retired teacher at all levels from elementary to post-graduate, I would advise you that learning social skills is just as important as learning academic subjects, and that is the area where home-schooling is useless. 'Education' consists in far more than getting A's.
0 Replies