Homeschooling and Irony

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 12:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I did my best not to engage them on the subject, and they did their jobs very well and were quite pleasant to work with. They were certainly not stunted religious zealots skulking in the shadows.

Well, imagine if you hire a geologist who was vetted by a "bosses brother" and being assigned same on my projects with instructions to "Drill to the Eocene"
I actually got pushback on that order and had to remove the kid after much useless bullshit arguing. He was rehired as a water monitoring tech by his "family connections"
guys like that can be dangerous to industry and investment in exploration.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 12:15 pm
@farmerman,
I'm sure it affects other basic science views, and don't get me wrong, I don't find it fine and dandy that children are taught nonsense, but since there are at least a few "scientists" who express Creationist views it can't be an absolute bar to that profession.

Creationist homeschoolers however, hardly have a monopoly on teaching children nonsense, and I am personally aware of many incidents where a public education teacher did just that across a far wider range of subjects.

While I agree that the practice is not beneficial or even neutral, I don't see homeschooling as some insidious movement undermining enlightenment, nor do I accept any notion that all of the children thus schooled will enter the world as intellectual and social dwarves.

Unfortunately, most Americans know almost nothing about science (except perhaps that if you say you don't believe in evolution you must be a Republican retard), and so a group who get it wrong but at least have gotten something, doesn't have much of an effect on my view of the state of our nation.

But don't worry, I will no longer chide you on such a basic point.
0 Replies