Bush pauses to comfort teen

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:11 am
'This girl lost her mom in the World Trade Center on 9-11'

By Kristina Goetz
The Cincinnati Enquirer

In a moment largely unnoticed by the throngs of people in Lebanon waiting for autographs from the president of the United States, George W. Bush stopped to hold a teenager's head close to his heart.

Lynn Faulkner, his daughter, Ashley, and their neighbor, Linda Prince, eagerly waited to shake the president's hand Tuesday at the Golden Lamb Inn. He worked the line at a steady campaign pace, smiling, nodding and signing autographs until Prince spoke:

"This girl lost her mom in the World Trade Center on 9-11."

Bush stopped and turned back.

"He changed from being the leader of the free world to being a father, a husband and a man," Faulkner said. "He looked right at her and said, 'How are you doing?' He reached out with his hand and pulled her into his chest."

Faulkner snapped one frame with his camera.

"I could hear her say, 'I'm OK,' " he said. "That's more emotion than she has shown in 21/2 years. Then he said, 'I can see you have a father who loves you very much.' "

"And I said, 'I do, Mr. President, but I miss her mother every day.' It was a special moment."

Special for Lynn Faulkner because the Golden Lamb was the place he and his wife, Wendy Faulkner, celebrated their anniversary every year until she died in the south tower of the World Trade Center, where she had traveled for business.

The day was also special for Ashley, a 15-year-old Mason High School student, because the visit was reminiscent of a trip she took four years ago with her mother and Prince. They spent all afternoon in the rain waiting to see Bush on the campaign trail. Ashley remembers holding her mother's hand, eating Triscuits she packed and bringing along a book in case she got bored.

But this time was different. She understood what the president was saying, and she got close enough to see him face to face.

"The way he was holding me, with my head against his chest, it felt like he was trying to protect me," Ashley said. "I thought, 'Here is the most powerful guy in the world, and he wants to make sure I'm safe.' I definitely had a couple of tears in my eyes, which is pretty unusual for me."

The photo has been circulating across the country, Faulkner said. Relatives have passed it on to friends, bosses and acquaintances. As they tell the story, they also share in Wendy Faulkner's legacy, which her family continues through the Wendy Faulkner Memorial Children's Foundation.

"I'm a pretty cynical and jaded guy at this point in my life," Faulkner said of the moment with the president. "But this was the real deal. I was really impressed. It was genuine and from the heart."

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/05/06/hug.jpg

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,906 • Replies: 38
No top replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 03:38 am
to remind you about some of my claims - this is exactly thing communistic leader would do, and exactly article communistic papers would print.

Of course, you can still believe that he did it without any other purpose except comforting teen.

With all due respect (to you, not to him), I don't.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 03:41 am
Useful to have plenty of cameras and witnesses around. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 05:59 am
Was this staged? Who really knows. Probably no more so than Clinton's many staged photo opps. And of course, y'all were just as critical of him when he did it, right? Oh gee, who am I kidding.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:12 am
If it were clinton his hand would not have been on her head...
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:15 am
What a guy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:19 am
Caption: "Maybe hugging this girl will help my constipation."
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:20 am
Praise God!

Ah'ma votin' fer Bush!

That right there just swung me over!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:49 am
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/05/06/hug.jpg

I think Bush was getting ready to snap her neck when he looked up and saw the camera.

He dodged a bullet.... this time.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:51 am
He did say it was his job to hug the widders an' orphans...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:58 am
Looks like the presidency has taken its toll on poor Bush. You could plant corn in those furrows on his forehead.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:59 am
Those aren't furrows, gustav, he's Klingon.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:01 am
Bush really looks like hell.

I know everyone who has ever occupied the WH ages dramatically, but I guess being on the job 47% of the time is more taxing than we can imagine Laughing
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:13 am
infowarrior wrote:
I know everyone who has ever occupied the WH ages dramatically, but I guess being on the 47% of the time is more taxing than we can imagine

Huh? Question
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:49 am
Don't let pistoff see that picture. He'll add child molestation to his list. Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:53 am
Quote:
Bush really looks like hell.

Sure he does. No makeup for the cameras. Plus, now he finds himself in a major league conundrum.

I have noticed, that, over the years, all of our presidents age dramatically!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:54 am
It's a stressful position and it takes it's toll on every president.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:04 am
Possibly even worse for this President, having spent years sending hundreds for execution in Texas, now followed by all those long nights torturing foreign prisoners.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:10 am
I heard Hillary comes over to the White House to get some of that. I heard she's into that kind of stuff.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:10 am
John Webb wrote:
Possibly even worse for this President, having spent years sending hundreds for execution in Texas, now followed by all those long nights torturing foreign prisoners.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Rolling Eyes

Let's try to be accurate here Pistoff. Bush sent nobody to be executed in Texas. A jury of their peers did. Bush, as governors before him had done, just did not use his office to stop what a judge and jury decided was a just punishment.
0 Replies