The Upside to Aging

Roberta

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:56 pm
I understand that many people are resistant to the idea of aging. This applies mainly to looking older. I don't care about that. I figure that if you are older, you're supposed to look older. So my hair is graying, and my skin is wrinkling.

There are two things I don't like about aging. Feeling the ravages of age. Creaking. Having trouble getting out of chairs. Viewing steps as the enemy. But the main thing I don't like about aging is getting shorter! I liked being tallish (5 feet, 6 1/2 inches). Now I'm entering petite territory. I resist. I protest. It happens anyway.

Now the upside--from my perspective. I see two real positives. First, my inhibitions are disappearing. Things I might once have thought but not said are now popping out of my mouth. This surprises and pleases me. Sometimes it makes me laugh out loud. Did I just say that? Yes, I did.

The major, top, uber upside is that there are no more reruns on tv. Yes, everything is first run. No, senior citizens don't have a special in with the tv people. It's just that I have absolutely no recollection of having seen anything before. There may be an exception here and there. Or something may click partway through. But mostly everyhing is new. I like this.

Anybody else have an upside to aging? Please share.

dalehileman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:58 pm
@Roberta,
Grandkids
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:58 pm
@Roberta,
yes. i won't be confused with someone who hasn't experience or some sort of wisdom. Oh, yes, since I've aged, I've become delusional and now believe whatever i want about myself.

Aging upside? Oh yes, I no longer have fear about getting cancer or heart problems. Been there done that and I'm still here.
0 Replies

Trollpatrol

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 03:01 pm
In online multi-player games none of the teenagers insulting you has any effect, you are "pwn" resistant in a way that they cannot comprehend.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 03:09 pm
@Roberta,
I meet new people every day. I seem to be living with this nice lady who keeps introducing herself but her name escapes me.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 03:22 pm
@Roberta,
The primary "upside" to aging is the one that makes everyone relish the idea of aging.

Getting older seldom comes in second best to its alternative.

Yeah, the aches and pains are a bummer...and the lies told by the mirrors around the house can be a funk...

...but "aging" seems to be what everyone is chasing...especially the ones who are already there.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:04 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
...who keeps introducing herself but her name escapes me.
Again Man you've made the rest of my 83-year 5-month-old day

This morn went to the X-ray establishment where they had me fill out the usual form, asking me also to list my current meds, which of course instantly went blank
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Two old couples get together for dinner. After dinner, the men sit talking at one end of the table and the women at the other. One of the men says, "Last week I did this great seminar on memory. They taught us lots of useful techniques for remembering phone numbers, names, and other things." The other asks, "Oh. That sounds useful. I'd like to try that. What was the name of the seminar?" "It was, um, ah, er, ...Oh, what about, no, hold on, um, er, shoot, ... Oh, I know. What's the name of that flower with long stems and thorns?" "A rose?" "Yeah, that's it," he replied. Then he called down to his wife at the other end of the table. "Hey, Rose. What was the name of that memory seminar?"
dalehileman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:43 pm
@farmerman,
Man that's me
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:49 pm
The weather report has more meaning than other news items.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 06:43 pm
I'm 65 and never felt better because age brings a sense of confidence..Smile
Comedian John Cleese (75) summed it up when he said - "As i've grown older, i've come to realise nobody knows what they're talking about!"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 06:47 pm
I was taught to respect my elders. Now I don't have to respect anybody. - George Burns
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 08:10 pm
@farmerman,
Very Happy Very Happy
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 08:14 pm
@neologist,
I'll be back tomorrow, but I did want to say these last 6 months have been the happiest I've been in, oh, about 25 years.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 08:21 pm
Its been good until I turned sixty, but its all OK and part of the deal.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 06:30 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
Now I'm entering petite territory.

I've been petite my whole life -- it ain't so bad. The only bad side is when you to go to concert -- but now this is downside to aging -- when I was younger cute boys would always offer to put me on their shoulders.

Not sure where you put the aging thing exactly my guess is I am at that cusp - one thing is you get an invite to AARP and as such a free donut when you buy a coffee at DD. Not that I eat donuts -- but other senior discounts.
Ragman

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 06:47 am
@Linkat,
Can I have your free donut? I'll put you on my shoulders.
George

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 06:55 am
I took today off from work to prep for a colonoscopy.

Not sure if that's an upside, though.
Ragman

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 07:07 am
@George,
At least the prep you have to drink is not as vile as it used to be. It's not great but it doesn't make you gag.
dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 07:19 am
@Ragman,
I was able to convert my Palace Nova cinema card to one that gives me more off!

First benefit I've seen.