Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 02:51 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 615 • Replies: 6
No top replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:39 pm
First off, this is a wake-up for Americans only; the Iraqis knew it was going on all the time. Still, this is only the tip of the iceberg, and we will never know the full story.

Secondly, what took place in the photos was pre-interrogation, a softening up as they were ordered to do. What went on in the actual interrogation is unknown, because nobody, not even the media, is speculating about that. I heard that up to 12 deaths during interrogation were under investigation, which implies that torture is sop.

As far as I know, the military doesn't handle the interrogation, therefore, the civilians—cia or contractors—are outside the jurisdiction of the military, and any prosecution of them falls under civilian authority,i.e., the Attorney General. So, will Ashcroft start prosecuting the CIA and civilian contractors? Don't hold your breath.

The President is embarassed from the notoriety of the photos, but I wonder if he is aware of the extent of the torment suffered by the Iraqi captives, innocent or otherwise, in his name, and I wonder if the few soldiers in the photos will be scapegoated until everything else can be swept under the carpet.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:21 am
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:27 am
On the radio, they were making a big deal about the commander of those troops involved being charged and court-martialed whether he knew it was going on or not. It was his responsibility to know.

So why can't we get Bush booted. As commander-in-chief, isn't it his responsibility to know what goes on under his command?

We can dream, can't we?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 04:58 am
Aftermath
The grunts will get the most harsh punishment. All the others won't get prison time.

If Bushco were serious they would fire Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and and Court Martial three of the other Generals. In the meantime they would release all prisoners that have no charges pending, transfer the others that are offically charged with serious crimes and give them POW status so that they have some rights and then blow up that freakin' prison.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:19 am
Re: Aftermath
pistoff wrote:
The grunts will get the most harsh punishment. All the others won't get prison time.

No, but their careers will be over.

Quote:
If Bushco were serious they would fire Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and and Court Martial three of the other Generals. In the meantime they would release all prisoners that have no charges pending, transfer the others that are offically charged with serious crimes and give them POW status so that they have some rights and then blow up that freakin' prison.

Bush isn't serious. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Bush not only knew about it, but ordered it. Civil rights don't seem to mean much to Bush if they get in the way of his holy war.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:04 pm
So why can't we get Bush booted. As commander-in-chief, isn't it his responsibility to know what goes on under his command?

My guess is Cheney knew very well what was happening. :wink:
0 Replies