The Holocaust Shrug

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 08:47 pm
Why is there so much indifference to the liberation of Iraq?
by David Gelernter

I HEAR AND READ ALL THE TIME about Democratic fury; evidently, enraged Democrats are prepared to do whatever it takes to rid the country of George W. Bush's foul presence. Somehow Republican rage doesn't seem quite as newsworthy (and when it does show up, the storyline is usually "Republicans Angry at Bush"). To be fair, Republicans do control the presidency and both houses of Congress, and ought to be far gone in euphoria. But they are not. There are lots of unhappy and quite a few furious ones out there, and they are not all mad at the president. Some reporters will find this hard to believe, but quite a lot of them are actually mad at the Democrats.

Consider Iraq. By overthrowing Saddam, we stopped a loathsome bloody massacre--a hell-on-earth that would have been all too easily dismissed as fantastic propaganda if we hadn't seen and heard the victims and watched the torturers on videotape. Now: There is all sorts of latitude for legitimate attack on the Bush administration and Iraq. A Bush critic could allege that our preparation was lousy, our strategy wrong, our postwar administration a failure, and so on ad infinitum . . . so long as he stays in ground-contact with the basic truth: This war was an unmitigated triumph for humanity. Everything we have learned since the end of full-scale fighting has only made it seem more of a triumph.

But Democratic talk about Iraq is dominated not by the hell and horror we abolished or the pride and joy of what we achieved. Many Democrats mention Saddam's crimes only grudgingly. What they really want to discuss is how the administration "lied" about WMDs (one of the more infantile accusations in modern political history), how (thanks to Iraq) our allies can't stand us anymore, how (on account of Iraq) we are shortchanging the war on terror. But don't you understand, a listener wants to scream, that Saddam's government was ripping human flesh to shreds? Was consuming whole populations by greedy mouthfuls, masticating them, drooling blood? Committing crimes that are painful even to describe? Don't you understand what we achieved by liberating Iraq, what mankind achieved? When we hear about Saddam and his two sons, how can we help but think of the three-faced Lucifer at the bottom of Dante's hell?--"with six eyes he was weeping and over three chins dripped tears and bloody foam," Con sei occhi piangea, e per tre menti / gocciava 'l pianto e sanguinosa bava, as he crushes human life between his teeth.

I could understand the Democrats' insisting that this was no Republican operation; "we were in favor of it too, we voted for it too, and then voted more money to fund it; we want some credit!" Those would be reasonable political claims. But if you talk as if this war were one big, stupid blunder that we are stuck with and have to make the best of--you are nowhere near shouting distance of reality; people would suspect your sanity if you were not a politician already. Instead of insisting that the war belongs to them, too, Democrats are running top speed in the other direction. Howard Dean led the way on this flight from duty, honor, and truth, but it didn't take long for most of the nation's prominent Democrats (with a few honorable exceptions) to jump aboard the Dean express--which is now, absent Dean, a runaway train.

People ask, why this big deal about Saddam? "Isn't X evil too, and what about Y, and how can you possibly ignore Z?" But we aren't automata; we are able to make distinctions. Some evil is beyond our power to stop. That doesn't absolve us from stopping what we can. All cruelty is bad. Yet some cruel and evil men are worse than others. By any standard we did right by overthrowing Saddam--and do wrong by denying or belittling that fact.

The Democrats' refusal to acknowledge the moral importance of the Coalition's Iraq victory felt, at first, like the Clinton treatment--more relativistic, warped-earth moral geometry in which the truth gradually approaches infinite malleability. Overthrowing vicious dictatorships and stopping crimes against humanity were no longer that big a deal once Republicans were running the show. It seemed like the same old hypocrisy, sadly familiar. (I will even concede, for what it's worth, that Republicans can be inconsistent and hypocritical too.)

But as we learned more about Saddam's crimes, and Democrats grew less convinced that the war was right and was necessary . . . their response took on a far more sinister color. It started to resemble the Holocaust Shrug.

I SUGGEST ONLY DIFFIDENTLY that the world's indifference to the Coalition's achievement resembles its long-running, well-established lack of interest in Hitler's crimes. I don't claim that Saddam resembles Hitler; I do claim that the world's indifference to Saddam resembles its indifference to Hitler.

The Holocaust was unique--"fundamentally different," the German philosopher Karl Jaspers wrote, "from all crimes that have existed in the past." Hitler's mission was to convert Germany and eventually all Europe into an engine of annihilating Jew-hatred. He tore the heart out of the Jewish nation. There is nothing "universal" or "paradigmatic" about the Holocaust, and next to Hitler, Saddam is a mere child with a boyish love of torture and mass murder.

Yet Saddam, like Hitler, murdered people sadistically and systematically for the crime of being born. Saddam, like Hitler, believed that mass murder should be efficient, with minimal fuss and bother; it is no accident that both were big believers in poison gas. Saddam's program, like Hitler's, attracted all sorts of sadists; many of Saddam's and Hitler's crimes were not quite as no-fuss, no-muss as the Big Boss preferred. Evidently Saddam, like Hitler, did not personally torture his prisoners, but Saddam (like Hitler) allowed and condoned torture that will stand as a black mark against mankind forever.

Hitler was in a profoundly, fundamentally different league. And yet the distinction is unlikely to have mattered much to a Kurd mother watching her child choke to death on poison gas, or a Shiite about to be diced to bloody pulp. The colossal scale and the routine, systematic nature of torture and murder under Saddam puts him in a special category too. Saddam was small compared with Hitler, yet he was like Hitler not only in what he wanted but in what he did. When we marched into Iraq, we halted a small-scale holocaust.

I could understand people disagreeing with this claim, arguing that Saddam was evil but not that kind of evil, not evil enough to deserve being discussed in those terms. But the opposition I hear doesn't dwell on the nature of Saddam's crimes. It dwells on the nature of America's--our mistakes, our malfeasance, our "lies." It sounds loonier and farther from reality all the time, more and more like the Holocaust Shrug.

Turning away is not evil; it is merely human. And that's bad enough. For years I myself found it easy to ignore or shrug off Saddam's reported crimes. I had no love for Iraq or Iraqis. Before and during the war I wrote pieces suggesting that Americans not romanticize Iraqis; that we understand postwar Iraq more in terms of occupied Germany than liberated France. But during and after the war it gradually became impossible to ignore the staggering enormity of what Saddam had committed against his own people. And when we saw those mass graveyards and torture chambers, heard more and more victims speak, watched those videotapes, the conclusion became inescapable: This war was screamingly, shriekingly necessary.

But instead of exulting in our victory, too many of us shrug and turn away and change the subject.

Young people might be misled about the world's response to the Holocaust by the current academic taste for "Holocaust studies" and related projects. It wasn't always this way.

In the years right after the war, there was Holocaust horror all over the world. The appearance of such books as Elie Wiesel's Night and Anne Frank's diary kept people thinking. But after that, silence set in. In 1981 Lucy Dawidowicz, most distinguished of all Holocaust historians, wrote of "this historiographical mystery of why the Holocaust was belittled or overlooked in the history books." I remember the 1960s (when I was a child growing up) as years during which the Holocaust was old stuff. On the whole, neither Jews nor gentiles wanted to think about it much. I remember the time and mood acutely on account of travels with my grandfather.

He was a rabbi and a loving but not a happy man. His synagogue was in Brooklyn, at the heart of an area that was full of resettled Holocaust survivors. He would visit them often, especially ones who had lost their families and not remarried. Naturally they were the loneliest. But what they suffered from most was not loneliness but the pressure of not telling. Pressure against their skulls from the inside, hard to bear. They needed to speak, but no one needed to listen.

Old or middle-aged men with gray faces and narrow wrists where the camp number was tattooed forever in dirty turquoise, living alone in small apartments: They would go on for an hour or more, mumbling with downcast eyes as if they were embarrassed--but they were not embarrassed; they were merely trying to keep emotion at bay so they could finish. Not to be cut down by emotion was the thing; they wanted to make it through to the end. So they would mumble quickly as if they were making a run for it, in Yiddish or sometimes Hebrew or, occasionally, heavily accented English. My Hebrew was inadequate and my Yiddish was worse, but I could get the gist, and my grandfather would fill me in afterward. Once an old man wanted to tell us how one man in a barracks of 40 had stolen a piece of bread (or something like that), and in retaliation the whole group was forced at gunpoint to duck-walk in the snow for hours. He didn't know the right word, so he got down on the floor to show us--an old man; but he had to tell us what had happened.

Steven Vincent went to Iraq after the war and reported in Commentary about Maha Fattah Karah, an old woman, sobbing. "I look to America. I ask America to help me. I ask America not to forget me." Saddam murdered her husband and son. That story takes me back.

My grandfather was driven. He spent years at one point translating a rabbi's memoir from Hebrew, then more years trying to find a publisher--any publisher; but no one wanted it. Holocaust memoirs were a dime a dozen, and (truth to tell) had rarely been hot literary properties in any case. Then he shopped the "private publishers" who would bring out a book for a fee. He tried hard to raise the money. He was a good money-raiser for many fine causes. But this time he failed. No one wanted to underwrite a Holocaust memoir. The book never did appear.

THE HOLOCAUST SHRUG: To turn away is a natural human reaction. In 1999 (Steven Vincent reports) the Shiite cleric Sadeq al Sadr offended Saddam--whose operatives raped Sadeq's sister in front of him and then killed him by driving nails into his skull. Who can grasp it? In any case, today's sophisticates cultivate shallowness. They deal in cynicism, irony, casual bitterness; not in anguish or horror or joy.

Lucy Dawidowicz discussed the unique enormity of the Holocaust. It destroyed the creative center of world Jewry and transferred premeditated, systematic genocide from "unthinkable" to "thinkable, therefore doable." Mankind has crouched ever since beneath a black cloud of sin and shame.

Nothing will erase the Holocaust, but it is clear what kind of gesture would counterbalance it and maybe lift the cloud: If some army went selflessly to war (a major war, not a rescue operation) merely to stop mass murder.

That is not quite what the Coalition did in Iraq. We knew we could beat Saddam (although many people forecast a long, bloody battle); more important, we had plenty of good practical reasons to fight. Nonetheless: There were many steps on the way to the Holocaust, and we can speak of a step towards the act of selfless national goodness that might fix the broken moral balance of the cosmos. The Iraq war might be the largest step mankind has ever taken in this direction. It is a small step even so--but cause for rejoicing. Our combat troops did it. It is our privilege and our duty to make the most of it. To belittle it is a sad and sorry disgrace.

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,829 • Replies: 30
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 10:06 pm
It's good that Saddam is gone. It's not good that thousands upon thousands of innocent Iraqis were slaughtered in the process of removing him from power. It's not good that this war has resulted in chaos and the possibility of a civil war. This war was not waged primarily for the benefit of the people of Iraq, this war was waged primarily to benefit the Bush admin.'s political ends: to remove Saddam, and to show the people of the world, and the Middle East in particular, the size of the US' testicles. "Intelligence" was approached from, and manipulated through this ideological stance. Hence, from the very beginning an attempt was made to link Iraq to 9/11 justifying a "war of revenge." The Bush admin. succeeded in selling this casus belli to the majority of the American public through its allusive propaganda campaign. Then, the Bush admin. sought UN backing in a "war of disarmament," forwent that UN backing when weapons inspections indicated no need for such a war, and UN support vaporized accordingly, and invaded Iraq anyway, now under the pretense of a "war of humanitarianism." Many Americans simultaneously hold the dichotomy of "war of revenge" and "war of humanitarianism" as their reasons for support of this war.

If the US had really acted primarily for the benefit of the people of Iraq, it would have taken a sober and lucid look at the "intelligence," ascertained that Saddam was holding on to power by the thinnest thread, and smoke and mirrors. Perhaps Ari Fleischer, in his swaggering machismo, or someone should have taken his one bullet and done the people of Iraq a truly humanitarian deed.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 10:25 pm
LOL! Revisionist history rears its head again.

InfraBlue wrote:
This war was not waged primarily for the benefit of the people of Iraq, this war was waged primarily to benefit the Bush admin.'s political ends: to remove Saddam, and to show the people of the world, and the Middle East in particular, the size of the US' testicles.

Here are the reasons why the war was waged.

InfraBlue wrote:
"Intelligence" was approached from, and manipulated through this ideological stance.

The UN and most nations of the world had the same intelligence and came to the same conclusions at the US - Saddam was engaging in savage repression of native population and he possessed WMD.

InfraBlue wrote:
Hence, from the very beginning an attempt was made to link Iraq to 9/11 justifying a "war of revenge."

Read the previous link. We know Saddam supported suicide bombers and had Al Qaeda operatives in his country. And Al Qaeda was responsible for 9/11. There's your link.

InfraBlue wrote:
Then, the Bush admin. sought UN backing in a "war of disarmament," forwent that UN backing when weapons inspections indicated no need for such a war, and UN support vaporized accordingly, and invaded Iraq anyway, now under the pretense of a "war of humanitarianism."

The "pretense" was contained in the multiple justifications of Public Law 107-243, with wide bipartisan Congressional support.

InfraBlue wrote:
Many Americans simultaneously hold the dichotomy of "war of revenge" and "war of humanitarianism" as their reasons for support of this war.

As they well should, with the addition of "war of WMD."

InfraBlue wrote:
If the US had really acted primarily for the benefit of the people of Iraq, it would have taken a sober and lucid look at the "intelligence," ascertained that Saddam was holding on to power by the thinnest thread, and smoke and mirrors.

I can assure you that the Republican Guard and the Fedayeen Saddam was much more substantial a force than mere smoke and mirrors.

InfraBlue wrote:
Perhaps Ari Fleischer, in his swaggering machismo, or someone should have taken his one bullet and done the people of Iraq a truly humanitarian deed.

That wasn't happening and wasn't likely to happen. Anyone who came up with such an idea was immediately taken to a prison cell where he could watch his family being raped and tortured, and then he was fed feet-first into the shredders.

It would be nice if we knew then what we know now, wouldn't it? Too bad we didn't. But under the circumstances, I think overall the Coalition has done a great job despite some problems. And if one or two of the justifications in Public Law 107-243 turned out to be untrue, there were plenty of other justifications for taking out Saddam. The world is a much better place without him in power.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:49 am
Response
More Tight Wing Bushite. Damn, I need a Bio Suit when I visit Bushite posts like this.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:02 am
bring forth one concrete piece of evidence of links between saddams government, or his baath party, just one concrete piece, and I will undersign any and all of your statements. The only link between iraq and al-qaida is with ansar al-islam, a group with a very aggressive stance to saddam and his baath party. And also who are the al-qaide operatives in iraq you are referring to?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:53 am
I'm happy to help you out.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:57 am
of course how convenient "new evidence" points to links, just as george needs it you have the results of interogation in guantanamo and iraqi dissedents coming forward. try this link http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/no-saddam-qaeda.htm and hear what george himself had to say before attacking....
What I am refering to a concrete evidence is any evidence showing that al-qaeda and saddam's iragi government had planned or carried out actions in cooperation. I do not refer to contacts, of course there will be contacts and attempts at influencing each other. They had a common enemy after all. But to claim links is something different. Not contacts or communications, but links proving that they acted in unision.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:14 am
yilmaz101 wrote:
bring forth one concrete piece of evidence of links between saddams government, or his baath party, just one concrete piece, and I will undersign any and all of your statements. The only link between iraq and al-qaida is with ansar al-islam, a group with a very aggressive stance to saddam and his baath party. And also who are the al-qaide operatives in iraq you are referring to?

Question
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:20 am
yilmaz101 wrote:
of course how convenient "new evidence" points to links, just as george needs it you have the results of interogation in guantanamo and iraqi dissedents coming forward. try this link http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/no-saddam-qaeda.htm and hear what george himself had to say before attacking....
What I am refering to a concrete evidence is any evidence showing that al-qaeda and saddam's iragi government had planned or carried out actions in cooperation. I do not refer to contacts, of course there will be contacts and attempts at influencing each other. They had a common enemy after all. But to claim links is something different. Not contacts or communications, but links proving that they acted in unision.

So the following quote from the article linked by Tarantulas is not concrete enough evidence, right. Here is the quote.

"In 1998, an aide to Saddam's son Uday defected and repeatedly told reporters that Iraq funded al Qaeda. South of Baghdad, satellite photos pinpointed a Boeing 707 parked at a camp where terrorists learned to take over planes. When U.S. forces captured the camp, its commander confirmed that al Qaeda had trained there as early as 1997."

So helping to fund al Qaeda does not show they acted in unison? Providing a training camp for them is not acting in unison? Or do you just choose to believe this is all "right-wing propaganda" and dismiss the evidence?
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:31 am
the financing part is the 300 k that is allegedly paid to al-qaeda in khartoum, it is an allegation with no material evidence yet, so that remains to be proven....

the bit about training terrorists go to http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/033jgqyi.asp?pg=2

there we learn that neither the defector or the commander in the camp knew if it was al-qaeda that was being trained there. The only information they could provide was that they were arabs from outside iraq.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:34 am
Iraq had a government before the war, and as all governments it had a beurocracy, what beurocracies do is keep record of everyhting thet ever gets done, if there are any connections they will have been documented by the iraqi beurocracy, and the US will deffinetely put material evidence once they reach them, lets wait and see if such material evidence exists.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:01 am
yilmaz101 wrote:
the financing part is the 300 k that is allegedly paid to al-qaeda in khartoum, it is an allegation with no material evidence yet, so that remains to be proven....

the bit about training terrorists go to http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/033jgqyi.asp?pg=2

there we learn that neither the defector or the commander in the camp knew if it was al-qaeda that was being trained there. The only information they could provide was that they were arabs from outside iraq.

Ok, so the terrorists training there per the article you linked to were not necessarily al-Qaeda. I will give you that. But your own article has this to say about that training camp.

"Sabah Khodada, a captain in the Iraqi Army, worked at Salman Pak. In October 2001, he told PBS's "Frontline" about what went on there. "Training is majorly on terrorism. They would be trained on assassinations, kidnapping, hijacking of airplanes, hijacking of buses, public buses, hijacking of trains and all other kinds of operations related to terrorism. . . . All this training is directly toward attacking American targets, and American interests." "

He was still (possibly according to you) funding terrorists but was definately allowing them to train. Just maybe not al-qaeda.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:07 am
yes exactly, I am not refuting saddams link to terrorists, just his link to al-qaeda (mind you the saudis would have been very unhappy to let go something that took them ages to build).
the fact that he was a sponsor of terrorism was well known by everyone. I am refuting his linkage to al-qaeda, therefore his link to 9-11. Baghdad had nothing to do with 9-11, do you think they were dumb enough to? for 9-11 links there are other capitals that must be questioned, not baghdad.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:33 am
But you are asserting that instead of a war on terror, the US has started a war on Al Queada. That just is not the case. You could say that al Queda spoiled the party for all terrorists because the US declared war on ALL terrorists and the regimes that support them.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:34 am
"But you are asserting that instead of a war on terror, the US has started a war on Al Queada. That just is not the case. You could say that al Queda spoiled the party for all terrorists because the US declared war on ALL terrorists and the regimes that support them."

Ah come on that's bullshit and you know it. The US war on terror is a war on al-qaeda. I don't see the US military going after ETA or IRA or japanese red army, or tamil tigers..... just to name a few.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:46 am
yilmaz101 wrote:
"But you are asserting that instead of a war on terror, the US has started a war on Al Queada. That just is not the case. You could say that al Queda spoiled the party for all terrorists because the US declared war on ALL terrorists and the regimes that support them."

Ah come on that's bullshit and you know it. The US war on terror is a war on al-qaeda. I don't see the US military going after ETA or IRA or japanese red army, or tamil tigers..... just to name a few.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my guess would be that there is no current proof that those other groups are planning or training for or targeting Americans. When they start doing so, then maybe (notice I said maybe) the US military will go after them if the country's they are based in appear to be supporting them and their efforts to kill American civilians.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:54 am
But the US declared war on all terrorists according to McGe not just the ones that have attacked americans..... also by your logic no country that has not been attacked by al-qaeda (who has attacked america) should support the USs war on terror.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:19 am
It's group effort. The Japanese government is dealing JRA, England is dealing with the IRA, Spain with the ETA, Sri lanka the Tamil Tigers. Each government is handling it's situation adequately and do not need US forces interferring with their dealings.

Afghanistan was offered the chance to handle Al Queda and they failed, they thought it better to support Al Queda and now their government no longer exists.

The only terror organization that the US isn't taking care of that I think they should is Hamas.

*edited for clarification*
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:35 am
McGentrix wrote:
India have Tamil Tigers

That's interesting ... and quite new, I suppose.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:31 am
Tarantulas,
your claims of an Iraq/al Qaeda link directly contradict what the Bush Administration and Tony Blair have declared, that there is no such link. "Intelligence," and more importantly, the nation's emotions were manipulated by the administration's propaganda campaign. Bush, Blair and the international "intelligence" community have made chumps out of you and the other believers, and you are in denial. Deal with it.

Where are the WMD that were such an imminent threat to the safety of the US of A that a war of invasion and occupation was of utmost necessity?

Claiming simultaneous support for a "war of revenge" and a "war of humanitarianism" is doublethink.

WAR IS HUMANITARIANISM is also doublethink.

Saddam's "power" did not emanate from the Republican Guard or the Fedayeen Saddam. It emanated from the deceptions and prevarications his subordinates fed him about weapons programs, using the monies granted for other purposes. "The whole thing shifted from directed programs to a corrupted process," David Kay has said. "The regime was no longer in control; it was like a death spiral. Saddam was self-directing projects that were not vetted by anyone else." That's why the US itself is considering reinstating Republican Guard high commanders like Major-General Jassim Mohammed Saleh. Saddam is not the Republican Guard, the Republican Guard is not Saddam.

It would have been nice had the US acted on genuine regard for the plight of the people of Iraq and approached "intelligence" with a clear and lucid eye perhaps avoiding the necessity for this "war of revenge/wmd/humanitarianism."

But then again, the plight of the people of Iraq had the lowest priority in the Bush Admin.'s agenda.
0 Replies