Are the media missing yet another genocide?

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:03 pm
When one contends that one is the member of a uniquely superior group, one has indulged in bigotry. Don't do it, and you won't be accused of it.

End of story.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:07 pm
Bigotry is not just racism. There's an American bigotry wrapped up in a neat package with a nationalism and patriotism that strongly implies anyone not from this country is inferior and has no right to profess an opinion.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:12 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Bigotry is not just racism. There's an American bigotry wrapped up in a neat package with a nationalism and patriotism that strongly implies anyone not from this country is inferior and has no right to profess an opinion.

So patriotism = bigotry, eh? Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:13 pm
All I know is that Canadians never invaded anyone. Okay, there were those Japanese internment camps during WWII, and the Indian reservations, the bulldozing of Africville in Nova Scotia, the 'none is too many' issue regarding taking in Jews fleeing Nazi Germany...but genocide? No sir. That's just not polite. We are peacekeepers, not Americans. Hmmm....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:14 pm
Yes is can. Just don't volunteer so effectively.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:12 pm
When a fundamentalist Christian does something bad, it is an "incident"...when a fundamentalist Muslim does something bad, there seems to be a deeper cause (the religion as a whole)...welcome to the West, leading in tolerance Rolling Eyes I do not say all Westerners think like that, but I have to admit that at least here in Europe people seem to blame Islam for criminal Turks and Moroccans more than they blame Christianity for criminal (Christian) Europeans...you probably understand that blaming "basic" criminal acts on a religion is absurd (like in my examples), but I still notice that when Moroccan youth or Turkish youth cause trouble people tend to say "there must be a link with Islam"...

This is just my humble opinion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:21 pm
I don't think anyone is blaming Islam when little Johnny Mohammed steals a car, gets caught stealing, gets caught doing/selling drugs, speeding, or any other "common" crime any more than they blame christianity when little Johnny Smith does it.

But, when Johnny Mohammed blows up a bus full of kids, a train station, a highrise building, a mosque, a church, targets civilians with violence or any other zealous crime, Islam then enters the picture. unfortunately you don't hear of Johnny Smith committing these types of crimes and therefore his being Christian isn't as noticeable.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:26 pm
I am talking about the experience around me here in the Netherlands. These stupid and ignorant sounds are getting louder and louder. It may not be so in America (therefore I said "at least here in Europe") but I do sense it here. That's my feeling about it.

McGentrix what I just oppose is that people get the idea that terrorism, killing innocents, is part of Islam. That's not the case. Sadly enough I get the feeling that this conclusion is made by more and more people in the West.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:31 pm
see Rick, on this topic you and me completely agree Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I don't think anyone is blaming Islam when little Johnny Mohammed steals a car, gets caught stealing, gets caught doing/selling drugs, speeding, or any other "common" crime any more than they blame christianity when little Johnny Smith does it.

But, when Johnny Mohammed blows up a bus full of kids, a train station, a highrise building, a mosque, a church, targets civilians with violence or any other zealous crime, Islam then enters the picture. unfortunately you don't hear of Johnny Smith committing these types of crimes and therefore his being Christian isn't as noticeable.

I think you're missing a point here, McG. When the Federal Building was blown up in Oklahoma City, no one mentioned the religious affiliation of the bombers. Additionally, the subject of the political views of the bombers has never risen above the popular media news horizon. Whether a matter of religion or politics, when this sort of thing is done by "one of us," those areas are not brought forward for scrutiny and condemnation. When a Muslim bombs someone or something, the criticism of Islam is at the head of the line for commentary. The Atlanta Olympics bomber also bombed abortion clinics, and has more than once issued statements through third parties that he is motivated by his christian beliefs. This just has no mileage in the media for an examination of what it is about christianity which can lend itself to this sort of perverted interpretation. When Muslims indulge in such violence, there is a significant portion of the population in the United States who take that as a cue to condemn all believers in Islam as a class.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:33 pm
Who ever said we can't agree on certain topics? :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:36 pm
People get the idea "that terrorism, killing innocents, is part of Islam" because that's what they see in the news. I can't remember the last time I heard a news report referring to a charitable act from a leading Muslim cleric or hearing about how some fundamental Muslim protested the actions of other Muslims, or decried the violence brought about by fellow Muslims.

How much of the violence in today's world has some attachment directly to Islam? Quite a bit according to what I have read and seen. There must be a reason for it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:41 pm
OK, McG, then what about Russians killing Chechen and Ingusetian Muslims? What about Serbs killing Bosnian and Kosovar Muslims--as well as Slovene and Croatian Catholics? What about Prods killing Paddies and vice-versa in Ireland? My point is that there is a selective focus on Islam, which focus is missing altogether when Christians do the killing.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:45 pm
The reason is (1) that it's easy and (2): why should Muslims immediately demonstrate when Osama bin Laden does something wrong? And - even worse - why should we make up the "conclusion" in that case that the Islamic community actually quietly approves with the message send by these terrorists, the underlying message I sense in your post McGentrix? On the other hand: should Americans widely demonstrate on the streets for the atrocities being done by some American soldiers in the Abu Graib prison? That's just nonsense! Why should people "prove" to the rest of the world that they do not approve with the acts of certain members of their religious or national community? Demonstrating against these acts should come out of own disgust and free will to do so, and not out of fear that else the rest of the world will think you quietly approve of the acts of some terrorists.

And believe me, after September 11th I spoke a lot of Muslims, and they all found the attacks cruel and horrible and the hijackers acting against ALL basic principals of Islam, but their protests are simply not "heard" (read: reported) by a lot of media, while this is the general opinion among Muslims, as told to me by a lot of Muslims.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:46 pm
yeah McG, what about Serbs killing me? Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:47 pm
McGentrix wrote:
People get the idea "that terrorism, killing innocents, is part of Islam" because that's what they see in the news.

When I stayed in Britain during the last 30 years, I quite often got the impression that a certain "kind of people" thought, terrorism was part of Catholicism.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:49 pm
You also missed the Jews in Israel killing Muslim Palestinians and those blood thirsty Americans killing all the innocent Muslims in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Again, how much violence in the world is attributable to Islam. Let's stick on this subject instead of throwing up distractions and strawmen.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:49 pm
As I understand it, the terrorists are not what you could call real Muslims. They have been fed a diet of selected verses of the Koran and starved of the part of that holy book that talks about peace and doing good things. They are told from an early age that Jews eat Muslim babies and that the single most noble and honorable thing you could ever do in your life is to kill a bunch of Jews, because then Allah would smile upon you. Oh yeah, and you get 97 virgins when you get to heaven too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:50 pm
The largest Somali population in the United States is in Columbus, near where i live. After September 11th, although it had been widely reported in the local media that the attacks had been condemned in no uncertain terms in the local mosques, the Somalis tended to keep their heads down. They didn't speak out because of the "get the towel heads" attitude which was all too evident in this area.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 02:56 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
The reason is (1) that it's easy and (2): why should Muslims immediately demonstrate when Osama bin Laden does something wrong? And - even worse - why should we make up the "conclusion" in that case that the Islamic community actually quietly approves with the message send by these terrorists, the underlying message I sense in your post McGentrix? On the other hand: should Americans widely demonstrate on the streets for the atrocities being done by some American soldiers in the Abu Graib prison? That's just nonsense! Why should people "prove" to the rest of the world that they do not approve with the acts of certain members of their religious or national community? Demonstrating against these acts should come out of own disgust and free will to do so, and not out of fear that else the rest of the world will think you quietly approve of the acts of some terrorists.

And believe me, after September 11th I spoke a lot of Muslims, and they all found the attacks cruel and horrible and the hijackers acting against ALL basic principals of Islam, but their protests are simply not "heard" (read: reported) by a lot of media, while this is the general opinion among Muslims, as told to me by a lot of Muslims.

They have no problem making themselves heard agreeing with the terrorists though do they? They march by the thousands and yell and shoot their guns. I still remember the videos of some (I understand that it's not all, or hardly even a majority, but they get away with it anyways) Muslims dancing in the streets after 9/11 praising Allah.

Where else do you see actions like that in the world?
0 Replies