How do you answer your phone at work?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:31 pm
Yeah, I noticed that I rarely receive any more phone calls, and that's the way I like it. Freedom at last! Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:34 pm
Has anyone heard Jim Florentine? He really does have the best job ever, namely waiting at home for telemarketers to call, and then just pissing them off in a variety of ways. He tapes the stuff and puts it out on CD.

http://www.jimflorentine.com/download.htm

I highly recommend the 'Horny Priests' and 'Brothers' clips.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:36 pm
depending on where I am:

"Courtroom"

or

"Trial Clerks, this is Sharia speaking"

if i forget i'm at work

"hello"
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:36 pm
CI -- why not just throw the phone off the bridge or drop it in someones dumpster. save line rental costs.
Start using smoke signals, back to basics.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 01:24 pm
On my work phoone, I usually just give my name - mostly I can remember it.

If, for some reason, I have to answer the company phone. I usually just give the company name. However, I notice lately that, when I answer the thing, I can't remember the name of the company.

We have new offices, with new phone numbers. We receive some interesting calls. My number is very close to that of Manpower, a recruitment agency. But Manpower is also a band of male strippers - so my wrong numbers are occasionally more interesting than anything I get for me.

Other colleagues' numbers close to that of the local court house - don't ask what time your hearing is, if we're having a bad day!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 02:37 pm
"Metrology"

That's all... if the response is "Hunh?" then I know they've got a wrong number. (Shared phone.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 02:44 pm
I used to say: "<name of institution>, <my department>*, "Walter Hinteler" (well, it was a one-person-department, and since I was known all over the place, I could have missed that :wink: ), "Good day" (which is - in German - the common greeting), "how can I help you".
* if they phoned me directly; otherwise I left that out - when I noticed this on the display.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:30 pm
oak, I can't do that because the mrs uses the phone almost daily. LOL
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 05:03 pm
BBB
BBB's phone rings.

BBB picks up phone and says, "Whada ya want?"

Or, if BBB is in a good mood, says "You rang?"
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 05:29 pm
CI ----- amazing how wives/girl friends manage to spend your money both at home and in the shops
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:08 pm
Mostly I kinda feel sorry for people who have clearly been instructed to rattle off a spiel. As a listener, I like to hear only the endpoint of the spiel, as in the Particular Office.

I suppose this is one more generational thing. I was raised with and worked with real humans galumphing and harummphing and kerflooeeing on the phone and am somewhat put off by recitations. It does seem the norm. I know, people think the recitation mode is more professional...
0 Replies

cadjocky

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 07:42 pm
Dominos Pizza!
0 Replies

Tchocolate

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:26 pm
"Thank you for calling your Milwaukee Wal-Mart digital photo center, this is photo manager Sarah how may I help you?"

"No developing with Walgreens is not cheaper, I hope your prints turn out horrible" I don't actually say that but if one more person says that they are cheaper, I will um...kill!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:35 pm
Tchoc, Welcome to A2K, and this is NOT a telephone call. LOL
0 Replies

Tchocolate

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:27 pm
lol, thanks! Smile
0 Replies