MontereyJack

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 01:23 am
It's not the phony CommonCore indoctrination flap we've got to watch out for--it's the rightwing indoctrinators who are ALREADY trying to place their biased materials in public schools:
http://news.msn.com/us/oklahoma-district-bible-class-sinners-will-suffer
coldjoint

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:27 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
‘Doing’ Common Core Social Studies: Promoting radical activism under the Obama Department of Education

Quote:
Most of the sessions involved sharing strategies for formally adhering to standards, while covertly turning students into activists for radical causes. Among these were repeal of immigration laws, statehood for Washington, D.C., and acceptance of Islam as superior to Christianity. Instead of being given a knowledge base in history, civics, and geography, students were emotionally manipulated into being advocates, attending protests, and lobbying legislators.

http://eagnews.org/doing-common-core-social-studies-promoting-radical-activism-under-the-obama-department-of-education/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:32 am
Quote:
Common Core and Communism

Quote:
Wyoming has become the first State to block a new set of national science standards that address climate change. In Michigan last year a group of protesters stopped the State from adopting the science standards.

The more that is known about Common Core the more it is opposed. Healthcare was rammed down Americas throat, now Communism?
http://www.tpnn.com/2014/04/24/common-core-and-communism/
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:06 am
Despite that headline, nothing in that cite ties CommonCore to Communism, and anyone is free to produce materials they think should be included in CommonCore, like that Framework. Any school board or state board is free to adopt them or not. What counts is whether or not the kids develop competency. Further, the idiot who wrote that piece is dead wrong about what climate science has proved. Saying we've been in a cooling cycle for the last 17 years is false--it's based on the erroneous conclusion that 1997-8 was the highest average annual temp year, and it wasn't--just for one counterexample, three years since have hand a higher average temp. CO2 while necessary for growth also raises temps, and that changes, among other things, rainfall patterns, and most of our crops are sensitive to rainfall, onset of spring, and temperature. So his attempted counter to the science is bogus. Geez, joint, pretty much all the cites you come up with are seriously deficient in reasoning skills, and should have had CommonCore when they were in school. And by the way, CommonCore was largely Republican in its inception.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:56 am
4-5 years ago it seemed that activists on the right were the strongest supporters of common core, I think because they liked the idea of making students think and argue. What happened later however is that the left leaning education establishment used common core to promote their relativism agenda, they created standards that rubbed out the concept that there is a right answer, to succeed in common core as it is written all that one has to grasp is ones own opinion.....so long as you argue it vigorously you pass.

My main problem with common core is that it makes our already abysmal math and science education even worse. Almost all of the reform movements during my lifetime have harmed these vast areas of education, this latest one the proceeds under the assumption that there is no truth looks to be the worst of the lot.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 12:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
I note reports that current common core classwork is stressing kids out and making them hate school more than they already did. This has to be a major area of concern, although I dont know enough at this point to know if there really is a problem, and if so what the cause is.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 02:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I dont know enough at this point to know if there really is a problem, and if so what the cause is.

I know the it cuts parents out of their kids life if they do not understand the ridiculous math. Homework is vital function between parents and children. Besides that, the revisionist history and view of the world are progressive indoctrination. Look around you will find plenty.

And the creator of this mess worked closely with Bill Aryes before taking on this task.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 02:41 pm
@coldjoint,
I had no desire to help my kids with homework, I would assist if asked but they knew they were expected to do their own work. I told them I already graduated.

My concern is more insisting kids do things the hard way, this builds resentment and undermines confidence that the adults know what the **** they are doing. I remember when I was in school the explaination from the adults " trust us, this is good for you" did not work with me, nor with just about everyone else I knew.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 03:12 pm
coldjoint says:
Quote:
I know the it cuts parents out of their kids life if they do not understand the ridiculous math. Homework is vital function between parents and children. Besides that, the revisionist history and view of the world are progressive indoctrination. Look around you will find plenty.

The paradigm that was cited on this--the mom who couldn't do the multiplication problem the way the kid was supposed to do it, clearly didn't understand WHY SHE MULTIPLIED THE WAY SHE DID, or it would have made perfect sense, in fact more sense than the rote way we were taught to do multiplication. She was just applying a formula she had learned by rote, but didn't know why. If the kid learnes what his teacher is telling him, HE'LL KNOW WHY THAT METHOD WORKS. It's based on place notation--you know, 1s column, tens column, hundreds column. If you multiply by 326 say, you'r really multiplying in successive steps by 6, 20, and 300. any multiple of 300 will automatically have two zeros at the right., and so on. Put the zeros in and it's clear what you're doing. I was talking to a new first grade teacher a couple days ago, and what she was teaching them was at least two or three grades above what we got in first grade. Really amazing stuff. She was teaching them about place values in numbers and I brought up the example of the woman who had no idea why she wass multiplying thw way she did, as an example of the place values she (the new teacher) was teaching her kid, and a little light bulb went off in her head when she realized they were the same thing. So her kidsw are going to get a little bit of a head start in their math, because they'll know WHY the thing works. Just my own little contribution to help the future generation of kids, thanks to CopmmonCore teaching. Too bad that nameless mom didn't ake the time to figure it out before getting near-hysterical.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 05:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
CopmmonCore

Pretty close. You are a real genius.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 12:21 am
coldjoint says:
Quote:
You are a real genius.

Thank you. I appreciate that. For the first time I can remember, you've said something true. I'm sure you won't make that a habit.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:10 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Thank you. I appreciate that. For the first time I can remember, you've said something true. I'm sure you won't make that a habit.

And the first time you have posted without a misspelling or some other stupid mistake. I am sure you won't make a habit of it.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:22 am
Quote:
Ever wonder why so many ‘teachers of the year’ support the Common Core initiative? Here’s why

This article connects the dots and show yet another propaganda driven progressive bid for control. And like all the others is well funded and a planned.
Quote:
The Teachers of the Year are supposed to be non-partisan because they supposedly advocate for all teachers and the entire teaching profession, both within their states and nationally. Many everyday teachers do not support the Common Core, yet the Teachers of the Year never offer a voice to those who oppose the Common Core machine. In fact on the Arizona Teacher of the Year (AEF) Facebook page there were multiple postings congratulating “Teachers of the Years, both past and present” for their role in defeating a bill which would have ended the Common Core here in Arizona. How non-partisan of them.

http://eagnews.org/ever-wonder-why-so-many-teachers-of-the-year-support-common-core-heres-why/
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:52 am
@coldjoint,
Teachers of the year do not get to be teachers of the year without passing the teaching professions moral litmus test.

Quote:
50 percent of professors describe themselves as being "left or liberal." That puts the professoriate considerably to the left of the country as a whole; Gross estimates that professors are "about three times more liberal on average" than American adults.
However, just 8 to 9 percent of college faculty can be accurately described as "far left" or "radical"—and the percentage is even smaller among younger faculty. "The professorate is obviously not bursting at the seams with revolutionaries," writes Gross.
19 percent of professors could be called "moderates."
On the right, Gross estimates that economic conservatives comprise just 4 percent of academia, and that 23 percent of academics are social and pro-military conservatives. In general, conservatives "tend to cluster in fields like accounting, management information, marketing, and electrical engineering" and economics.
Professors are also less religious than average Americans—but this, too, shouldn't be overblown. Research by Gross has shown that just over half believe in God.
So, academia is indeed more liberal than America, just as other professions, such as the clergy and the military, are dens of conservatism. But where conservatives get it wrong, Gross says, is in their simplistic assertions that academia's leftward lean is a result of bias or discrimination. Rather, he argues, academia is liberal because... it has been attacked for being liberal. Gross's analysis concludes that the ivory tower's well-known political reputation has encouraged a kind of self-selection effect, where conservatives gravitate away from it, and liberals towards it.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/higher-education-liberal-research-indoctrination

Teachers of the year are sifted through the criteria of those who taught them, those experts who are said to know what the best teacher looks like, that is the liberal academics of the University.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 12:06 pm
Quote:
And the first time you have posted without a misspelling or some other stupid mistake. I am sure you won't make a habit of it

I'm a poor typist, and my laptop has perhaps the most unresponsive keyboard I've ever had the misfortune of using. Live with it. You ain't too hot yourself--I remember one of your cites which was talking about 25 million of whatever it was. In your added commentary, somehow that became 250,000,000. Cast out the mote in thine own eye, joint.

Bad typist tho I may be, my facts are correct. Wish I could say the same about yours, joint.

(Nice attempt to redirect, though. Again. Everytime your position gets blown out of the water, you try to redirect. Ever noticed that? You should).
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 12:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
I noted with interest last year when the local teacher of the year's apparent best selling point was that he is an awesome entertainer. I am looking forward to the day when the light bulb goes off and those voting realize that this is a condemnation of the entire profession. Those who celebrate this idea that students need to be entertained to get them to learn do not see that the fact that they have not gotten the kids to see that learning is awesome fun on its own is a failure on to accomplish one of their primary functions.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 12:10 pm
Speaking of which, I loved the grammar in this sentence of yours, joint:
Quote:
I know the it cuts parents out of their kids life if they do not understand the ridiculous math
coldjoint

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 10:59 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
1. The CC standards initiative is a brainchild of and funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, currently to the tune of $250M. The standards concern themselves mainly with literacy and STEM education.

2. CC purports to be the nation’s first “college readiness standards”, prescribing the specifications for curricula that will prepare our kids for a college education which will serve them in tomorrow’s technology driven workforce.

3. CC is not a coherent state led initiative, but it is actually promoted and ‘supported’ by the federal government through a program of grants to qualifying states.

4. CC was put together within a short (six month?) time window by a committee of 17? – almost entirely from the ‘testing industry’ - under the aegis of the Gates Foundation without debate and/or consultation with parents, teachers, educators, school boards, industry, … . Since the GF is private, there is no requirement for it to report on the deliberations that led to the issued standards.

5. CC was ‘validated’ in an equally short time frame that omitted the usual multi-year period of testing and evaluation that previously adopted educational standards have enjoyed.

6. The two accredited experts on the CC Validation Committee – Drs Stotsky (lexicographic literacy) and Stanford’s James Milgram (math) – refused to validate the standards and resigned from the 29-member committee. They wrote about their concerns in ‘Lowering the Bar: How Common Core Math Fails to Prepare High School Students for STEM’.

7. Opposition to CC is now non-partisan and growing, even among the 45 states that initially adopted it.

8. There exist no coherent CC testing procedures or test standards for CC curricula. The recommended testing approaches are designed for computer delivery and grading. The tests will be ‘dynamic’ in that successive questions will be delivered on the basis of the student’s answer on the current and previous questions. This makes rating, ranking, and other forms of comparing students’ accomplishments difficult to impossible. However, it does support achieving higher aggregate test scores.

9. Fed funding will initially come through the residual No Child Left Behind appropriation which only requires high test scores in the states’ adopted testing programs (here, of course, CC).

10. Parents have the right to opt their kids out of having to take CC assessment tests, although they must still participate in the CC curricula offered by the various school districts that are teaching to the standards.

http://rebaneruminations.typepad.com/rebanes_ruminations/2014/04/common-core-town-hall.html
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 07:53 pm
Quote:
Public school teacher blasts Common Core: “Today was the first day I was ever ashamed to be a teacher”

Quote:
Ralph Ratto, an elementary school teacher from Long Island, New York, and president of his local teacher’s union, writes in this post that he was ashamed of his role in administering the tests last week.

Today was the first day I was ever ashamed to be a teacher.

Today I finished administering the sixth day of New York State Common Core assessments. I was a facilitator in a process that made my 10-year-old students struggle ,to the point of frustration, to complete yet another 90-minute test. I sat by as I watched my students attempt to answer questions today that were beyond their abilities. I knew the test booklets I put in front of them contained questions that were written in a way that 95 percent of them had no chance of solving. I even tried to give my students a pep talk, in hopes of alleviating their angst, when I knew damn well they didn’t stand a chance. Today I was part of the problem.

As I watched my students, I was angry that my efforts to stop this madness were not successful. I was angry at my students’ parents for not opting out their children. I was angry at my administrators for not stepping up to the plate and attempting to end this madness. I was angry at Gov. Andrew Cuomo, New York Education Commissioner King, the N.Y. Board of Regents, my state senator, my state assemblyman, President Obama, and even my state union. I was angry that my students were victims in the abusive game to drive a political agenda.

I lost it today. I lost a little bit of my self-esteem. I lost my faith in my party. I lost my faith in my ability to protect my students. I lost my faith in our future.

I watched my students valiantly attempt math questions that most adults could not answer. These questions were wordy, and purposely confusing in a warped way to prove some point about our public education system.

Historically, my students excel on standardized tests, often finishing near the top of our district and state. Today I witnessed –, no I was part of!! – a situation in which students were forced to endure what amounted to what I would call an abusive situation.

Today I am ashamed. I am ashamed I didn’t do enough to stop this madness.

But I am not done. I am pledging to double my efforts to stop this form of institutional abuse. If my state senator and assemblyman do not work to end this madness, I will work to have them replaced. I will work to expose the governor’s education agenda. I will work to have King replaced.

Today is a dark day…but not for long.

http://youngcons.com/public-school-teacher-blasts-common-core-today-was-the-first-day-i-was-ever-ashamed-to-be-a-teacher/
0 Replies