Can I dye a wedding dress and use it as a prom dress?

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 01:04 pm
Okay I know that sounds crazy but hear me out!
I'm having a huge problem finding a prom dress I like for my senior prom. I want my dress to be something that I love and feel special in, but none of 100s of prom dresses I've looked at are right. The problem is, I hate traditional prom dresses - I don't know if it's the tulle or the bright colors or the rhinestones but something about prom dresses makes me cringe. They're totally different from the beautiful elegant dress I was imagining.

I tried looking for other options but still nothing. I looked at normal formal dresses but they were either wrong or totally out of my price range. I tried looking at bridesmaids' dresses too, but none of them had the 'wow factor' I'm looking for. Then I read an article about a bride dying her wedding dress to make it into a normal formal dress and I thought maybe I could do that too. There are a ton of beautiful low budget and pre-owned wedding dresses and if I had it dyed I don't think anyone would be able to tell. So good idea? Bad idea? If it's a bad idea could you explain why?

jespah

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 05:15 pm
@CarmenAmelia,
Why not? You'll own it.

Yanno, if it's legal, you can do anything you want to with your own property. Go fer it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 05:26 pm
@CarmenAmelia,
have you dyed clothing before? It might matter what the material is, and how the dyeing works out..
ehBeth

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:02 pm
@CarmenAmelia,
I'd suggest talking to whoever you are thinking using to dye a dress and talk about different fabrics and how they manage dye.

It might (might) be easier to have a dress made.

On the other hand (and I understand this is blasphemy to a lot of people) a prom is one day and I don't see the importance of having "the" dress.
CarmenAmelia

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Unfortunately I can't afford a custom made dress. I wish it were an option!

The place I'm hoping would dye my dress had dyed a couple of wedding dresses and they've gotten good results according to the reviews on YELP. I'm not worried about their ability to do the job.

As for having 'the' dress, it's my senior prom and I want to wear something I like. Formal attire is required, so why waste money on a prom dress I'd feel stupid in when I could buy a dress I love? This is the last time I'll be wearing any kind of formal gown for a while so I want to enjoy it.
CarmenAmelia

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't trust myself to dye the dress so I'd be taking to to a professional who has dyed wedding dresses before.
ehBeth

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 06:31 pm
@CarmenAmelia,
Talk to the people doing the dyeing before you buy anything. Fabrics are extremely variable in their ability to take and hold dye.

Custom-made dresses aren't necessarily expensive. The dance troupe I'm in recently made dresses that we needed for a competition. They cost us about 20% of what they would have cost to buy (and ship). Of course we're lucky in that we can all sew to some degree so there were no labour costs - but if there is a tailor at your local dry-cleaner you can sometimes get very good work done for comparatively little $.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:22 pm
As a dyer the first thing I need to know is: what is the fiber - silk, polyester - what?
0 Replies

CarmenAmelia

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 05:08 am
@ehBeth,
I can't sew at all and I don't have any friends or relatives who would be able to make it for me either. If I wanted to get a dress custom made I'd have to go to a seamstress and it would cost roughly $700+ which I can't afford. There's no way I could do it on the cheap Sad.

You're right about speaking to the dyeing place before I buy, I emailed them about it and now I'm just waiting for a response.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 09:16 am
@CarmenAmelia,
If you're just looking for an elegant formal dress, then you don't need to be looking at prom dresses and bridesmaid dresses, IMO. Those always strike me as being costumes more than real dresses.

Just go find a formal black dress.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:36 pm
@CarmenAmelia,
I dye cottons, silks, rayon, bamboo. I might be able to do this for you,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25297976@N07/
ehBeth

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:51 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
wow!

the socks are amazing!!!

or as the keedz say

amazeballs
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
do the fringed scarves/veils have block-printed edges?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 09:27 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Wowsa! I like it all, but especially the socks and the vests.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 15 May, 2015 06:00 am
Making sure,of course, that it isn't polyester.
0 Replies