Pay for Meals

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:32 am
As I will be traveling with small children in an upcoming flight, I called the airlines to order some kids' meals. The airline rep on the phone said "Of course" and after looking up my flight, said "Oh, you are on Pay for Meals Flights". This is the first I had heard of this and believe me I am a proponent of it if it saves me money on the airfare. As I was obviously befuddled she explained to me that the meals come from Au Bon Pain and Hard Rock and a few other places that I can't remember. Just curious has anyone had experience with this? Are the meals any good or would it be better to buy at the airport before boarding?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,058 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:36 am
Dinner menu with United looked pretty good. The fruit bowl option was actually fresh. That was a $5.00 deal. Sandwiches from Bennigan's were $7.00, with snack type items runnning $3.00.

There breakfast menu looked awful. Ham & Cheese Croissant, or snack stuff. I don't recall a child's menu, but I wasn't really looking either.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:38 am
I've been looking at the Air Canada website, where the meals and prices for specific flights are listed. Not horrid prices, and the quality of the meals has been decent in the past.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:40 am
Depending on the age, and fussiness, of children, I'd probably pack stuff to bring along. I wouldn't want to pay $5 - 10 for something they're going to make a face at when a jam sandwich would make them happy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:54 am
Well, um, yeah. I usually travel with a couple of peanut butter sandwiches on a Vienna roll, and my own bottled water.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:08 am
Definitely bring snacks. We just took two plane trips via United. 4 trips total -- there back there back -- and nothing beyond drinks and small packets of "snack mix" (pretzels et al) were offered. No food for sale, either.

It sounds like yours will have food for sale, but FYI if you haven't flown for a while, that's an area that's changed a lot. It's pretty standard for people to bring their own food, whether homemade (rare) or fast food (very common) so don't worry about that at all. (I think I remember that it used to be frowned upon.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:29 pm
Things sure have changed since I flew last. For years as part of my job I traveled all over the nation and at times to foreign countries. Never in all those years did I have to pay for a meal or even hear of anyone that did.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 03:08 pm
Oh, you paid alright, au. In fact, you even paid if you rejected the crap they put in front of you.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 03:45 pm
roger
I may have paid but it came with the price of the ticket. There was no such thing as a menu to select from. As for it being crap, that's a horse of another color.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 05:09 pm
Didn't anyone ever fly People's Express? that was a great cheap way to travel. You paid with cash or credit card once you were on the plane. About 20 minutes after take-off, someone came down the aisle with a cart of chips, pretzels, crackers and soda pop - you paid cash for what you wanted. I think I paid either $19 or $29 for the New Jersey to Buffalo portion of a trip - and then $2 for chips and a ginger ale.
0 Replies