Is the opposite form of "a mobile protest" "sit-down protest"?

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 07:34 pm

Context:

If the protest had official approval, or was at least being tolerated, police appeared to have second thoughts as they stopped buses full of protesters from leaving the hotel. After some negotiation, the relatives set off on foot for a mobile protest that remains highly unusual in Beijing, China's hyper-sensitive political center that routinely crushes unapproved public activity.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 09:09 pm
@oristarA,
I think they all hate cell phones, Ori.
oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 02:19 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I think they all hate cell phones, Ori.

Failed to understand you, JTT.
"set off on foot for a mobile protest" seems nothing to do with cell phones.
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 03:03 am
@oristarA,
It's not easy to say from the context which has been provided, but i suspect that it means a protest in which the participants moved around, rather than staying in one place. Someone protesting American actions of policies might gather at the American embassy. Someone protesting a particular policy of their own government might gather near the offices of the ministry concerned. Sometimes people choose a place which is well-known, and convenient for a protest, such as Independence Square in Kyiv. Maybe these people just kept moving around, which might have frustrated police efforts to control them.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 03:09 am
@oristarA,

it's a joke.

a cell phone is sometimes referred to as a mobile phone, due to its portable nature...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 03:14 am
@oristarA,
Perhaps this article from the BBC might help. Basically, protest marches are quite common in the West, but less so in more authoritarian regimes like China.

Quote:
If anger continues to build against the Chinese leadership, the families could be entering very dangerous territory.

In the past, the Communist authorities tolerated mild protests by groups who had been publicly wronged, including parents whose children were sickened by tainted milk formula or families who lost children when their schools collapsed during the 2008 Sichuan earthquake.
However, in both of those instances, Beijing's patience for those groups quickly ended once the families organised and began issuing demands.

Chinese police are now preventing journalists from meeting family members inside the Beijing hotel where the relatives receive their daily briefings - an ominous sign that the government will not accept any more public protests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26735298

As for JTT's comment, in Britain a cell phone is called a mobile phone. JTT was trying to crack a joke, but because he has no sense of humour it wasn't remotely funny.
oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:11 am
@izzythepush,
Cool.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:59 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy: s for JTT's comment, in Britain a cell phone is called a mobile phone. JTT was trying to crack a joke, but because he has no sense of humour it wasn't remotely funny.
-----------

Izzy's just got his panties in a bunch, Ori. It's skrinching his knackers and making him cranky.

Didn't one of the great humorists of a2k, Region Philbus, recognize it was a joke?
0 Replies