A2K MEET IN EUROPE, 2005

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:23 pm
Since I'm open for both June or September 2005, I'll agree with the majority's choice, but we should settle on dates within the next six months or so. Most people must plan months in advance, because of work schedules and other committments. Some people can plan only a few days or weeks in advance, but the majority will be planning their vacations for next year by this year-end. So, let's get with the program, people. Mark your calendars, and start saving your $$$$$. We want to make this the most attended A2K Gathering from around the globe.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:12 pm
Walter you do not think we will be stupid foriegn tourists?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:16 pm
Never!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:22 pm
Walter, you were not there when I ran three blocks in downtown Hiroshima screaming hey at some folks I thought were Americans - duh they were from Germany. And it waw not like I could hide any where being 5'8" with long red hair. Embarrassed

When I lived in D.C. during the tourist season the big joke was, "were did all these people come from and what will they do with these horrible clothes when they get home". Actually I miss the tourists now. I do not think real people visit Dallas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:16 pm
Listening.

Will pipe in to say I don't think the decisions of when and where should be rushed.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:44 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Listening.

Will pipe in to say I don't think the decisions of when and where should be rushed.

I concur, but would also say that either May or Sept. in Walter's area works for me.

signed: jjorge (a.k.a. stupid foreign tourist)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:53 pm
osso, We don't mean to "rush" this thing, but most people with jobs and/or families must plan ahead. Some of us are a bit more flexible, so I'm just trying to be considerate of those that must plan ahead. It's also good to know approximate dates for something, because I like to take about three trips every year, and I can work around those two months. I'd hate to make reservations for a trip, then find out it'll be in conflict with the Europe Gathering. That would be a bummer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 11:32 pm
I don't think, too, that plans must be be rushed.

But I do think, c.i.'s comments to be direct:
- holidays have to be announced here in most/many companies at the beginning of the year,
- would be good for booking the accomodation,
- I'd like to know myself, if I stay here that time ... or be better at some other place for my own :wink:
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:57 am
What about October is fall good in Germany? Or we could start in Germany after the Christmas holidays a move south.

There is always London of course easy trip for me direct flights from DFW. I have always thought I would like to travle Europe in the fall. I have never been so you will all have to decide when and where is the best.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:57 am
Sounds good
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:18 am
"Golden October", as we say. Things happen sometimes, even this :wink:

If you'd travel from London-Stansted to my airport this October, prices would be £ 45 = $ 79 = € 67 for both ways, (INCLUSIVE of all taxes, fees and charges[from Stansted INCLUSIVE of £ 16 for airport taxes and security charges]).

"Festivals", especially here, are, however, a bit rare at that time.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:20 am
Walter! Whatever can you mean. I am pinning my hopes on that wink.
(which means something else in English)

Looking forward to doing a bit more travelling this year.

McT
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:33 am
:wink:
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:41 am
Stupid American tourist needs to know what :wink: means in Europe and the US?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 12:49 am
Just want to commemorate this thread. :wink:

And to take the chance to point to some nice places here in the region, like

Münster

which is just 45 mins away from us (Lippstadt-Bad Waldliesborn, seen from a balloon)

http://www.ballonteam-lippstadt.de/luftbilder/lippstadt/103.jpg

(we live at the top, left to the road crossing the pic, where the trees are)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 01:03 am
Looks nice, Walter, have you got a preferred date yet? I should like to come in May - a good time?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 02:06 am
May is as good here as in England: you might get some really nice, sunny days :wink: (but no 'Schützenfest'*)

*"This festival has its roots in the guilds and fraternities of the late Middle Ages. These groups of farmers and craftsmen operated as charitable organizations or militias to protect their villages. Today Schützenfest is celebrated all over Germany, mainly from June to August. People in rural areas get together for the festivities, the center of which is a shooting match. Contestants shoot wooden figures, and the winner is crowned king. He even has a queen at his side. It's a lot of fun, and the whole village takes part in it. People drink and party for several days. Every German must take part in this at least once." (source: © 2003 National Geographic Society. All rights reserved.)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 02:12 am
Oh well of course I'd rather have Schûtzenfest! So is it really rom June to August!! I assume you can't be celebrating all that time! Let me know your local dates and I'll be there (better reserve a b and b early, no?).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 02:13 pm
Waving and watching!

I hope to be somewhere in Europe, some time next year. Nothing definite yet!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 02:45 pm
Me too... am bookmarking and will read all of this later.
0 Replies