A2K MEET IN EUROPE, 2005

Clary

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:38 am
Well, I'll start this thread, because I think it's a great idea. Just a thought - cheap it isn't - so how about Eastern Europe? Some wonderful and affordable cities there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,949 • Replies: 122
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:00 am
Thanks for starting this thread, Clary.

Still holding the offer for a stay here in my region (pro's would be only a personal English speaking guide, guided tours to "an unknown country" and staying quite centered in a thermal spa :wink: ), there surely are some more attractive regions/countries in Europe Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:07 am
Eastern Europe is not where I would go on my only possible trip for, say, six years and maybe ever. At least on first thought. I haven't set foot in London or Paris or Spain where I have wanted to go to for as long as I had ever wanted to go to Italy. (We all know I love Italy). But if that is where everyone else wants to go, maybe I could work it out.

What is Eastern Europe, exactly, anyway? is Prague now West? and so on. Turkey? I have a friend who is crazy about Cappadoccia....

And never mind me, I might not make the first euro trip in any case. I think as time passes we will have more than one
big euro meet.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:29 am
I was thinking of Budapest, perhaps. Cappadocia is famously wonderful and VERY cheap, but doesn't count as Europe - Turkey-in-Asia. Now that would be great..

I love Ravenna, of all Italian cities, because that Byzantine art appeals to me. But Austria is a beautiful place too.

(space for Walter's travel plug)

Check out the Ryan Air and EasyJet destination list for really good prices from London.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:36 am
Hmmm, Vienna, Venice, Ravenna...

curling toes in joy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:48 am
Clary wrote:

Check out the Ryan Air and EasyJet destination list for really good prices from London.

But look at where the destination airport is situated ... and if taxes etc are included (that can sum up to the double and more of the offered price!)!

And: Air Berlin is a good alternative, since they offer better service (e.g. free drink/sandwich/newspaper) ... and their price includes all taxes etc!!!!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:09 am
Checking in on this thread.

I travel in Europe for work and it would be great to be able to combine some play with that.

Walter, I may be working in Frankfurt for a few days this summer (still to be confirmed, especially when!). I looked at the map and it seems to be about 200km from you. Is that right?

KP
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:52 am
Prague !! One of my ex flames is a hotel manager for a bery chic hotel - he might give us rooms at a discounted rate.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:49 am
kitchenpete wrote:

Walter, I may be working in Frankfurt for a few days this summer (still to be confirmed, especially when!). I looked at the map and it seems to be about 200km from you. Is that right?
KP

Correct. (We have a nice roof-terrace, bicycles, thermal bath can be reached in 2 mins walking ...... :wink: )
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:16 am
My goodness, these are all excellent choices.

I'm game for any of the afore-mentioned locales. I will underscore what Jossobuco has written back on the SF thread, which is that someone with on-the-ground familiarity is invaluable (we're talkin' 'bout you, Walt).

Part of the reason we had such a great Gathering was her travel-guide-like wisdom of good places to visit.

You know what we are going to need (eventually)? A travel agent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:25 am
A note to osso; Europe is so compact with good public transportation that the location of the A2K meet shouldn't be a constraint on other travel plans - given the time available.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:34 am
PDiddie wrote:

You know what we are going to need (eventually)? A travel agent.

I'm sure that can be done A2K-made: most airlines offer group tarifs, hotels can be booked online (and in Europe, I get with some chains automobile-club%'s :wink: ) with possible group reductions... .
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:44 am
This here'll be a damn long thread 'til we get there! But we'll try to be there really hard!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:34 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
A note to osso; Europe is so compact with good public transportation that the location of the A2K meet shouldn't be a constraint on other travel plans - given the time available.

Yes, that's true, you're right.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:52 am
Clary, I love Budapest. And of course there are lots of places in Europe... Walter is right about AirBerlin.

But of course it would also be nice to visit Walter himself. And we could drive there...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:48 am
I cast my vote for Walter's home town as the Europe A2K Gathering, because of its easy access, economical (cheaper than London), and those who wish can travel to other destinations in Europe easily (relatively cheaply). Besides, I want to visit Walter's home town. Wink
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:13 pm
Me tooooo.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:28 pm
Thanks, c.i.! :wink:

I live about 40 yards behind the trees there in back of this photo

http://www.bad-waldliesborn.com/shared/fotos/parkstimmung_big.jpg

These house are in viewside from our kitchen window

http://www.bad-waldliesborn.com/shared/fotos/villen_big.jpghttp://www.bad-waldliesborn.com/shared/fotos/hausdesgastes.jpg

and 200yards away is this here

http://www.bad-waldliesborn.com/shared/fotos/thermal3_big.jpg

The village itself looks like this
http://www.ballonteam-lippstadt.de/luftbilder/lippstadt/103.jpg

(we live top center of that photo, a little bit left of that main road, which runs from bottom right to top center)

Some really nice picturesque of the region here can be found at this brewery website:

> click on "Brauerei"
than on that now opening line on "Standort/Die Region"

A slide-show should open. (This brewery is three miles away from us - another -worth visiting! 12 miles, and the famous Warstein brewery -not worth visiting- 18 miles.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:38 pm
A brewery too! I cast my second vote. Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 12:52 pm
Well done, Clary.

Walter's area looks good.

I don't know if I'll make it or not - will I get the prize for travelling the furthest?

But, I do hope to be in Europe, especially Italy, at some time next year (unless I decide to chance my luck visiting those crazy Nortamericanos!)

Walter - what's the airport near you - and who flies into there?
0 Replies