A2K MEET IN EUROPE, 2005

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:05 am
Tulpits, rhododdedras (those to be seen are actually in neighbours garden, situated at the 'Tulpit Street - all "flower streets" here Laughing ), a cherry tree in front of our house, some daffodiles, (small) pine trees and ...., come and see yourself!

Going around the corner (that's 'backwards'), it still looks like THIS HERE :wink:

P.S.: Mrs. Walter was actually waiting, since Walter didn't tell her, he went out 'hours' for photographing.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:50 pm
Just wondering, when the next post on this thread will be.

I did not get my front door painted yet, as the weather was against me: too rainy. It's wet here again, this morning, although it was lovely and sunny yesterday, when I had to work.

Sod's Law.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 08:18 am
I'm with you, Mc Tag.

I was going to join lots of other motorbikers for a slow parade into Westminster but the weather made my buddy and I reconsider...no fun getting wet and frustrated!

I'll have to give the money to charity, anyway! [note to self]

KP
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:09 pm
I'm consoling myself with a trip to a different part of Sydney.

Some friends have moved to the southern highlands, (although not too "high"). This is a hilly area about 90 minutes' drive from Sydney. It's cooler here, and higher ( Wink ) so you actually get some sort of autumn display.

Most Australian trees are evergreens, but, in this area, they've planted some of those deciduous types that change colour. Very pretty! My friends have a sprawling house on a couple of acres - high on a hill looking towards the south. Great vistas of trees in their autumn foliage. Wide open spaces! This is sort of the Sydney equivalent of the "home counties". Veddy civilised. (even with MY friends!)

Still in drought, though. The ducks are just about walking across the pond. We were promised a wet weekend - lots of threatening clouds but no rain Sad so far.

Well - it's a trip of sorts! More "English" looking than Sydney generally. Lots of those frilly homewares shops. The train trip home was interesting.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:14 pm
It sounds a good trip; and train trips are always good. Can't imagine autumn colours down under, I was there in March and April and nothing happened except leaf fall of gumtrees and cold temperatures.

And here we have bluebells in carpets and primroses all over the hedgerows as well as loads of garden flowers.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:26 pm
Clary wrote:
It sounds a good trip; and train trips are always good. Can't imagine autumn colours down under, I was there in March and April and nothing happened except leaf fall of gumtrees and cold temperatures.

And here we have bluebells in carpets and primroses all over the hedgerows as well as loads of garden flowers.

You won't see autumn colours in Sydney - except for the occasional tree - it just doesn't get cold enough. We're only a month off winter - and still shirtsleeves weather.

Victoria and Tasmania give better displays - but that's because it gets colder there Confused - you can't have everything! There's not much in the way of flowers around at present -although my friends had some nice bush roses. But the wattles will start to bloom in another month or so - and on into the spring
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:29 pm
Is wattle the same thing as mimosa, or does it just look like it? Does it have a lovely but subtle scent? And I've heard lots of people are allergic to it..true?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:34 pm
Wattle and mimosa are of the same family (I think).(acacia)

People say they are allergic to it - but research shows otherwise. Wattle flowers are quite showy, so people are aware of them. And, they know they snart sneezing when the wattle comes out. Ergo - they are allergic to wattle.

But, their flowering usually coincides with that of some grasses that people are allergic to, that have a much lesser display. So, poor old wattle gets the blame!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:45 pm
Poor wattle.
It has to be the least romantic name for a flower ever. Even sweet pea and hellebore have the edge.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:48 pm
Wattle I dooo, while yoooo
Are far awayyyy
And I am blooooo
Wattle I doooooo???? Razz
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:05 pm
Teehee!!! You got me singing, Margo...Luckily my new lodger (Konrad from Berlin) has just gone out... don't want him frightened off on his first night here.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:18 pm
Just came on to say, here's a pic of me in the avatar. I was tired of ol' Frank, tho' I'm not sure if this one is much better....

I liked the wattle song, too.

About 30 years ago there was a spate of these jokes, wan't there?

like: Have you heard the sweet tea song? No? (sings) Swing low, sweet char-iot, ...
Have you heard the salmon song? Salmon chanted evening....
The Wurlitzer song? Wurlitzer one for the money, two for the show....

I didn't say they were funny

okbye
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:20 pm
Now you look like Terry Pratchett. Which is a good thing. But not like you, really. A sad thing.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:21 pm
So there's McTag, the baddy, weating a black hat!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:26 pm
Has anybody suggested the month we're meeting at Walter's home town? I think some suggestions are in order; some of us like to plan early. Wink
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:33 pm
Clary wrote:
Now you look like Terry Pratchett. Which is a good thing. But not like you, really. A sad thing.

A poor thing, but Minoan, as the archaeologist said.
Why sad?
I'll try to get a better pic later.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Has anybody suggested the month we're meeting at Walter's home town? I think some suggestions are in order; some of us like to plan early. Wink

This would be good as well for booking an accomodation: perhaps it could be nice, if all stayed in one location (otherwise, if you prefer staying in the backyard in a big [circus] tent, an early known period would be good as well :wink: ).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:52 pm
Walter, Since you know and understand weather patterns and festivals in your area (and other activities we might wish to attend) what would be your first and second choice?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:56 pm
McTag wrote:

I'll try to get a better pic later.

I could look up in my photo collections - but since the latest are from year, I probably wait another fortnight :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:02 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Walter, Since you know and understand weather patterns and festivals in your area (and other activities we might wish to attend) what would be your first and second choice?

May seems to be best, June/September being second choice(s).

This only re festivals (July/August are holiday months - everything is packed up with stupid foreign tourists Laughing ).

re weather I don't know any preferences at all ... especially after the hot and long lasting summer last last year, cool Mays on other years, rainy summers especially when visitors are here ... (I'll promise, however, to tip the weather-gods, St. Petrus et. al. and additionally order good weather online!)
0 Replies