GOP and the War on Human Fetuses in Food

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 08:03 am

Yes, you read that correctly. And no, there are no human fetuses in food. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have laws against them being there – if you’re a Republican, that is. The Associated Press reports that Oklahoma State Senator Ralph Shortey, infamous for authoring failed bills, has proposed a bill “that would ban the use of aborted human fetuses in food, despite conceding that he’s unaware of any company using such a practice,” and even Republican Sen. Brian Crain, a self-professed “pro-lifer” and the chairman of the Senate Human Services Committee says, “I’d hate to think we’re going to spend our time coming up with possibilities of things we need to stop.” The FDA, of course, says it is “not aware of this particular concern.” Ridiculous as it sounds, the bill does also outlaw stem cell research.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 644 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 12:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Big Fat Liars: Oklahoma Senator Shortey’s fetus sandwich

Earlier this month Oklahoma State Senator Ralph Shortey introduced Senate Bill 1418 that would outlaw the use of “aborted human fetuses” in food. Before you start thinking about fetus finger soup or tossed umbilical cord salads, Mr. Shortey was just trying to be provocative of course.

According to an NPR post this gets to the bottom of SB 1418:

The senator says that his research shows there are companies in the food industry that have used human stem cells to help them research and develop products, including artificial flavorings.

“I don’t know if it is happening in Oklahoma, it may be, it may not be. What I am saying is that if it does happen then we are not going to allow it to manufacture here,” Shortey tells KRMG’s Nicole Burgin.

To that end, his proposed statute reads, “No person or entity shall manufacture or knowingly sell food or any other product intended for human consumption which contains aborted human fetuses in the ingredients or which used aborted human fetuses in the research or development of any of the ingredients.”

Coupla things I like here:
1.The senator claims to have done “research”
2.“I don’t know if it is happening in Oklahoma…” but introduced a bill anyway. Excellent use of taxpayer money – erroneous legislation.

There is a huge bullshit leap between Shortey’s research turning up companies using stem cells for product development and “aborted human fetuses” in the produce aisle.

Clearly, Shortey wanted you – and the religious right base – to flip out and think that a diner in Oklahoma City was frying up placenta and infant omelets. But, like other anti-choice zealots, Mr. Shortey is a big fat liar.

I contacted Mr. Shortey but haven’t heard back yet. You can try too here if you like
[/quote
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 12:17 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Ridiculous as it sounds, the bill does also outlaw stem cell research.

You almost buried the lead. That's the legitimate reason for said bill.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 05:55 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Sen. Brian Crain

If that gets spoonerized, we have 'cryin' brain'.

Just thought ya might like to know.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 06:41 pm
@JTT,
Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 08:34 pm
You want me to find the weirdest, most outlying Democratic office holder and claim that he represents all Democrats?
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 09:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon: You want me to find the weirdest, most outlying Democratic office holder and claim that he represents all Democrats.

-------------

Would that be Fred phelps?

USA political meanings are from Mars while the rest of the world operates according to earthly meanings. That's the huge disconnect.

0 Replies