Do you consider yourself shy or outgoing?

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 07:31 pm
Just doing an informal survey:
Do you consider yourself shy or outgoing?
Are you socially shy (outside of work) but outgoing at work? Vice versa?

Do you avoid social situations because you are incapable of interacting socially with strangers or at least believe you are?

Do you challenge yourself socially (the equivalent of cliff diving by jumping blind) by doing social events that make you really uncomfortable as if doing so is swallowing some kind of bitter medicine and the possible socializing is the possible cure for your introversion?

Or do you only do your socializing via web forums like Facebook or able2know, etc...?

If you are an extrovert and need a cheatsheet to how introverts see the world:
23 Honest Confessions From Introverts
http://www.buzzfeed.com/javim2/23-honest-confessions-from-introverts-bw9q

boomerang

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 09:09 pm
I'm not really either one. Is there a term for being in the middle?

I'm not very social. I really like being left alone. I like to live on my own schedule and I rarely accept invitations. I like internet forums/email because they take place on my schedule. I like to be the fly on the wall, just observing things.

But I can have a good conversation with anyone. I'm not afraid to start conversations. I'm able to connect with people and they enjoy talking to me -- I'm a very good listener. I "read" people very well. I also very good at confrontation and can almost always convince people to see things my way. I can be pretty charming.

Where does that leave me on the shy to outgoing spectrum?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 09:13 am
There is a word for being in the middle!

Ambivert.
Quote:

Ambiverts sit on the spectrum of social interaction right in between the introverts and extroverts. Ambiverts love spending time with people, but get tired after spending too much time around people. Ambiverts are also very capable of doing things alone, but spending an entire day alone can suck them into a depressed, unproductive mood.

Ambiverts love interacting with people, but in a very purposeful way. Ambiverts can have extremely animated and interactive conversations, or mellow and meditative ones. Ambiverts will defend both their personal time as well as their social time.

Ambiverts process information best when they process internally and externally. Ambiverts need time and space to process things on their own, but they also need people who they can trust to process things with externally. In order for ambiverts to fully process information, they usually need both.

Ambiverts seek breadth of knowledge and influence, but dive deep when they are truly passionate. Ambiverts can be thought or action oriented, depending on the situation, but they are also oftentimes both.
0 Replies

bassthethirdmanwater

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2023 11:19 am
@tsarstepan,
Definitely outgoing. I'm definitely more of a people person. I like to go out, meet new people, and have a good time.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2023 07:13 am
@bassthethirdmanwater,
I shy away from threads that haven't been responded to in ten years.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2023 08:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Technically 9 years since Boomerang was the last reply back in 29 Mar, 2014.

At least this one has an active a2k member (me) and most dead threads resuscitated are from authors who long since stopped interacting with the forum for most if that time period of the thread's inactivity.
0 Replies