Is Jakarta Dangerous?

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:47 pm
While being in Jakarta will be dealing with motorized vehicles, whether your are walking, in a car, or in a motorcycle. If you take the taxi for instance, you will notice cars don’t have a safety belt in the back. If you take an ojek (moto-taxi), the driver will give you a shitty helmet and drive recklessly, putting your life in danger every second.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,733 • Replies: 7

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 02:49 am
@hoffmann111,
Appalling!

One should always have a clean helmet!
thomaslloyd685

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2014 09:13 pm
@Lordyaswas,
When travelling to Indonesia rather bring Cash and Credit Cards with you but Do Not Bring Travellers Cheques with You as it`s not widely accepted in Indonesia. You`ll have a really hard time trying to change them as most of the banks and money changers Do Not Accept them. The Banks will all tell you try there Head Office in Sudirman. I eventually found a travel agent that changed it and they gave me a very low rate and because I had no other alternative then to get a taxi and look for Bank Danamon Head Office in Sudirman so I just took the rate they gave me as I was tired of trying to find a place that changes American Express Travellers Cheques. So save yourself the hassle and just bring cash with you.
0 Replies

catebrad00

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 12:09 am
@hoffmann111,
Below are several types of taxi scams in Jakarta:
• fake argo-meter, sometimes the taxi driver modifies the meters and passenger has to pay more than its ordinary price.
• robery. To avoid the above matters, try to find taxi in the reliable hotel.
Another solution is booked the taxi by phone from reliable taxi operator.
0 Replies

imeldablaze

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 02:16 am
@hoffmann111,
In Jakarta is like all in Indonesia - car driving on the left side.
For one from Europe is difficult- in special, it can cause difficulties for a newcomer.
So try to use the overpasses or overways at traffic lights.
But this is same- the overpasses of Jakarta not all without danger, be carful in climbing very steep usually and be careful (as ever in big citys of the world) with much people around.
0 Replies

abiross34

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 12:41 am
@hoffmann111,
I would suggest only taking a Blue Bird taxi when you are in Jakarta. Some people suggest Express taxis but I had a terrible experience with them. I once tried to take an Express taxi and the driver refused to use the meter and tried to charge me an exorbitant fare. When I told him I was going to complain to his company, he attacked me. Enough said - avoid Express taxis.
0 Replies

belljohnson366

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 11:31 pm
@hoffmann111,
Its better off if you leave your passport and all valuable stuff at your hotel safety box just as a precaution. Anything can be happened and its too late to feel sorry for that. Take a photocopy of your passport withyou at all times.
0 Replies

erickheur

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 08:28 pm
@hoffmann111,
Do not eat fruits from the ground or which are already opened in the market! Malaria is not very prevalent here, but if you want to do island-hopping preview a pills-therapy against it!

0 Replies