Non Belief In Santa Thread

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 04:51 am
Basically, the idea is to discuss the experience of not believing in Santa, and ideas which relate to not believing in Santa. Those who do not believe in Santa are not motivated by a common set of beliefs. The only thing which unites them is what they don't believe.

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 04:55 am
Ah, Smiley . . . you snide little bitch. If you have a problem with people not believing in Santa, then provide plausible evidence for the existence of Santa. Otherwise, suck it up, and find something interesting to discuss.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:08 am
you know I love you really Set. The burden of proof however is not on me, for I do not believe in Santa Smile

This thread could use a touch of Panzade juice

https://global3.memecdn.com/scumbag-santa-compilation_c_1027231.webp
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:41 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:53 am
@Smileyrius,
What the thread could use is a touch of perspective. I know you think you're being clever, and constructing a satire on the Atheism thread. But you're not being clever, because the situations are not analogous. (Look up the noun analogy and then the adjective analogous.)

People do not ask adults if they believe in Santa. No one is going to knock on your door way too early on a Saturday morning to discuss a belief in Santa with you. You are not going to be discriminated against in public accommodation over a lack of a belief in Santa. You won't jeopardize or derail a public career in the corporate world or in politics because you don't believe in Santa.

People do ask adults if they believe in god. People are going to knock on your door way too early on a Saturday morning to discuss a belief in god with you. You can be discriminated against in public accommodation over a lack of a belief in god. You can run a significant risk that you will jeopardize or derail a public career in the corporate world or in politics because you don't believe in god.

Are you starting to get the picture?
Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:00 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
Basically, the idea is to discuss the experience of not believing in Santa, and ideas which relate to not believing in Santa. Those who do not believe in Santa are not motivated by a common set of beliefs. The only thing which unites them is what they don't believe.

Unlike people who don't believe in any gods and say so openly, people who don't believe in Santa constitute almost the entire grownup population of the United States. Consequently, unlike atheists, asantaists do not have a distinct experience worth talking about.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:06 am
Oh! I do hope this finely reasoned discussion ('cause I can just tell it's shaping up to be one) gets into what it's like to be a religious minority in the world. You know, an actual minority. One that has been persecuted for generations.

Because, you see, not believing in Santa gets you a ticket on the adult train.

Not believing in Jesus can sometimes get you on some other trains.
Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:08 am
@jespah,
Hear hear . . .
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 01:31 pm
@Setanta,
Excellent post!

The noblest among us are concerned about the rights of those who are different from them. Especially groups who have suffered from a longstanding social disadvantage or historical oppression.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 01:57 pm
@Smileyrius,
If Santa didn't exist, why would he have a special holiday dedicated to him? He must exist, just like the Easter Bunny does.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 03:13 pm
I am Santa and I do exist.

Just ask Mo.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 03:53 pm
Ironically, Santa actually did exist. The figure goes back to Nicholas of Myra, who was an actual historical person. Of course, the raindeers and the assorted miracles he allegedly performed are apocryphal. But believing in Santa Claus is a lot closer to being reasonable than believing in Jehova or the Easter Bunny.
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 04:21 pm
@Thomas,
Theres no Easter Bunny? waaaaahhh
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Ah, Smiley . . . you snide little bitch. If you have a problem with people not believing in Santa, then provide plausible evidence for the existence of Santa. Otherwise, suck it up, and find something interesting to discuss.
Hmpfh!

From an earlier publication: Very Happy
Quote:
Setanta, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Setanta, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole truth and knowledge.
Yes, Setanta, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Setantas. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.
Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.
You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Setanta, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.
No Santa Claus! Thank God he lives and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Setanta, nay 10 times 10 thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:56 pm
@neologist,
Neo, our little friends are right. There is no Santa Claus. It’s a story made up by oour parents and enthusuiastically supported by a bunch of douche bag merchants.

"Your friends have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe ezxcept when they see". And good for them. Skepticism is healthy. It keeps us from being duped by liars and scam artists and ND OTHER assholes who want to control and manipulate us. More importantly: Skepticism helps us understand reality. And reality is amazing. Reality is far more important, and far more interesting, than anything we could make up about it.

Your friends understand that there is plenty about the world which is not comprehensible by their little minds. They understand that all minds, whether they be adults’ or children’s, are little. They see that in this great universe of ours, humanity is a mere insect, an ant, in our intellect, as compared with the boundless world about us. But your friends also see that the only way we can gain a better understanding of this great universe is to question, and investigate, and not believe in myths simply because they’re told to us by our parents and teachers and newspaper editorial writers.

Or maybe they din’t. Maybe they simply understand that Snta Claus does not ******* exist.

No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. But Santa Claus does not exist. He is a story made up by your parents. You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you otherwise.

And far more importantly: You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you that you’re a bad person for not believing things you have no good reason to think are true. You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you that, in order to experience love and generosity and devotion, you have to believe in Santa Claus, or any other mythical being there’s no good evidence for. You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you that “childlike faith” — i.e., believing things you have no good reason to think are true — is somehow in the same category as poetry and romance. You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you that the world would be dreary without Santa Claus: that without Santa Claus, the light of childhood would be extinguished, we would have no enjoyment except in sense and sight, and existence would be intolerable. That is one seriously messed-up idea.

Adults know that there is no Santa Claus. If they tell you otherwise, they are lying to you. That’s okay: some parents tell their children that Santa Claus is real as a sort of game, and there’s no evidence that this does any real harm. But if anyone keeps lying to you — about Santa Claus, or anything else — when you ask them a direct question and explicitly ask them to tell you the truth? That’s a problem. And if anyone tries to make you feel ashamed, or inferior, or like your life will be dreary and intolerable, simply because you don’t believe in this lie they’re telling you… you should be extremely suspicious. They are trying to manipulate you. It is not okay.
Me too,its from an old blog

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:01 pm
I believe in Setanta!

I don't know this Santa bloke you folks are going on about. What's he got that Setanta doesn't have?
neologist

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:03 pm
@farmerman,
Way to go fuzz face!

I was trying to give some hope and encouragement to our young friend and you just ruined it.

I hope you are proud of yourself!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 04:11 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
What's he got that Setanta doesn't have?

Apparently, a sleigh and eight tiny reindeer.
jespah

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 06:33 am
@Setanta,
We can fix that.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 06:42 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I believe in Setanta!

I don't know this Santa bloke you folks are going on about. What's he got that Setanta doesn't have?

I have a theory that Setanta is a Father Christmas from another planet.

If you take Santa away from his name you are left with e.t.

Nuff said.....