How do I explain the different Santa's every year?

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:07 pm
This year, my 5 year old niece came up to me and told me that the Santa at the mall is a fake since he looks like a different person every year. How can I explain that?

She still believes Santa is real and we don't want to tell her he's not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 3,651 • Replies: 45

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:08 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Magical disguises. If you're going, go all in.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:18 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Tell her the truth, she's gonna have to hear it eventually and it might as well come from you and not her parents or grandparents.

Choice 1, Santa Claus is a very busy man and has several assistants to help out.

Choice 2, Santa Claus is magical just like his magical elves and the magical 'juice' he drinks from the jar. (remind children not to ever drink Santa's magical 'juice' it can be very dangerous.) Since he is magical his appearance changes often just like the friggin charms in a box of Lucky Charms.

What next? We have to explain leprechauns to her and why they never seem to be anywhere near a pot of gold? (or why if they are supposed to be very Irish, they never show up at St.Patrick's Day parades)
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:20 pm
@PinkLipstick,
He just looks different because he is a year older.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:23 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Our son is 7, we didn’t have to explain anything to him, he made up his own mind that Santa wasn’t real and his presents were coming from us. It’s just an innocent Christmas childhood tradition.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:31 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Unless you have custody of your niece I think you should tell her to ask her mum. If you do have custody of your niece tell her to think about it. Kids are usually smarter than they're given credit for.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:33 pm
There's a reason to keep the whole Santa thing on the downlow.

I heard of a kid standing in line for EIGHT HOURS just to see Santa. The parents are to blame. Way too much emphasis placed on this whole Santa/gift thing.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:38 pm
@PUNKEY,
Why is it, every year I see the little ones sit on Santa's lap they cry? I even have a photo of me crying.. Scary men they are, just scary!
chai2

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:47 pm
As a child, I always found the idea of people expecting me to believe in Santa really embarrassing.

For a few years in a row I remember being forced to go up and sit on some guys lap, and tell him what I wanted for Christmas. When I say forced, it wasn't like I was scared or anything, but I remember thinking how dumb it wall was, but if I didn't I'd get yelled at. "What's the matter with you? Don't you believe in Santa Claus?" It was actually pretty stressful to me, in that I couldn't even tell anyone how this was ridiculous.

One year my brothers were with me, but they were too "old" to sit on Santa's lap. My mom wasn't in sight, so I told them I knew that wasn't Santa, and the whole thing was stupid. Proving my point, they both got pissy with me, telling me that the Santa there was one of "Santa's helpers"... I was like "yeah, sure" Rolling Eyes

I really hated it when adults would ask me if I'd been good, what I wanted Santa to bring me....blah, blah blah.

Although the video below isn't about Santa, it pretty much sums up my feelings at the time....

PinkLipstick

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 04:13 pm
@Pearlylustre,
My sister and I are raising her together. She told me to come up with something, so I made this post.
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 04:38 pm
@chai2,
I understand that you had a bad experience, but my family did not. We loved the magical experience. My niece loves it, too. So, I see no harm in letting her be a child in a world where children are usually forced to grow up much too fast.

http://youtu.be/Aevy8jIBZmM
chai2

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 04:57 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Thanks for your condescending reply.

It wasn't so much a "bad experience" but my clarity as a child to see the world the way it is, and not delude myself with outrageously unlikey beings and events.
chai2

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 05:01 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Why is it, every year I see the little ones sit on Santa's lap they cry? I even have a photo of me crying.. Scary men they are, just scary!

I didn't find it scary, just silly that I was going to sit on a strangers lap and tell him what I wanted, as if it was going to make any difference.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 05:12 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I think I only saw Santa once, in the line standing tradition, at Macy's. I have a faint memory of being frightened. I was a little old for santa belief. A girl in my class who lived in our apartment building straightened me out. I either got mad at her or cried, or maybe both.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 05:20 pm
@PinkLipstick,
if you want to keep the illusion going you can tell your niece there's loads of stores all with Santas, so the real Santa couldn't be in all of them. Sometimes people pretend to be Santa so help the real one ou.

Personally this house is a Santa free zone, never trust a man who won't take a drink. Father Christmas likes a brandy.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:07 pm
@PinkLipstick,

Tell her that is because he IS a different person. Compliment her on her being observant, and tell her that she is now old enough to know the secret.
Sit her down and read to her, "A Visit From St. Nicholas" ('Twas the night before Christmas...). Then tell her that the mall Santa is a true Santa's helper, and not to say anything because you don't want to scare the smaller children. Because Santa Clause is a tiny magical elf, she must keep the secret. If she doesn't keep the secret, Santa will no longer believe she is a good little girl.
...or something like that.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:23 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

One year my brothers were with me, but they were too "old" to sit on Santa's lap. My mom wasn't in sight, so I told them I knew that wasn't Santa, and the whole thing was stupid. Proving my point, they both got pissy with me, telling me that the Santa there was one of "Santa's helpers"... I was like "yeah, sure" Rolling Eyes

I think I was about 5 at the time. I know by the time I went to school I didn't have to pretend anymore.

Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:45 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Personally this house is a Santa free zone, never trust a man who won't take a drink. Father Christmas likes a brandy.

I've heard this too from a Catholic in NYC. What's interesting I believe is that many a Jew doesn't trust someone that must be a little inebriated to socialize with a Jew. Meaning the loss of status amongst one's peers can always be explained away by saying, "Oh I was a little tipsy when I was with Moishe. Don't worry I haven't jumped the fence."

This really shows the differences from one's perspective. I'm a teetotaler, and I don't trust anyone that might want to get the "lowdown" on me (aka, "this Jew") by getting me a little tipsy. At least in civilian life. I did have trustworthy/sincere buddies in the military. But that is another story/belief that civilians often have insincere friendships. Only the camaraderie in the military, or other regimented situations (police, firemen, etc.) are sincere friendships/camaraderie, in my opinion. Too many civilian friendships are just friendly rivalries/competitions, or networking for a future job when needed, in my opinion.
Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:49 pm
As I've known from early childhood, the real Santa is at the North Pole, making toys. The other Santas are Santa Deputies, needed to give good children, the world over, the expectation of Santa's arrival.
chai2

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:50 pm
@Foofie,
Wait, Santa's Jewish?

No wonder he doesn't mind working Christmas Eve.
0 Replies