Non Belief In Santa Thread

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 06:45 am
@jespah,
I don't know where i would stable them . . . do they eat much? Just how tiny are they?
Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 06:45 am
@Lordyaswas,
Sometimes, people tell more than is good for them . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 09:53 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
If you take Santa away from his name you are left with e.t.

Nuff said.....
OMGawsh! That 'splains it!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 12:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Neo, our little friends are right. There is no Santa Claus. It’s a story made up by oour parents and enthusuiastically supported by a bunch of douche bag merchants.

"Your friends have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe ezxcept when they see". And good for them. Skepticism is healthy. It keeps us from being duped by liars and scam artists and ND OTHER assholes who want to control and manipulate us. More importantly: Skepticism helps us understand reality. And reality is amazing. Reality is far more important, and far more interesting, than anything we could make up about it.

Your friends understand that there is plenty about the world which is not comprehensible by their little minds. They understand that all minds, whether they be adults’ or children’s, are little. They see that in this great universe of ours, humanity is a mere insect, an ant, in our intellect, as compared with the boundless world about us. But your friends also see that the only way we can gain a better understanding of this great universe is to question, and investigate, and not believe in myths simply because they’re told to us by our parents and teachers and newspaper editorial writers.

Or maybe they din’t. Maybe they simply understand that Snta Claus does not ******* exist.

No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. But Santa Claus does not exist. He is a story made up by your parents. You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you otherwise.

And far more importantly: You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you that you’re a bad person for not believing things you have no good reason to think are true. You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you that, in order to experience love and generosity and devotion, you have to believe in Santa Claus, or any other mythical being there’s no good evidence for. You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you that “childlike faith” — i.e., believing things you have no good reason to think are true — is somehow in the same category as poetry and romance. You should be extremely suspicious of anyone who tells you that the world would be dreary without Santa Claus: that without Santa Claus, the light of childhood would be extinguished, we would have no enjoyment except in sense and sight, and existence would be intolerable. That is one seriously messed-up idea.

Adults know that there is no Santa Claus. If they tell you otherwise, they are lying to you. That’s okay: some parents tell their children that Santa Claus is real as a sort of game, and there’s no evidence that this does any real harm. But if anyone keeps lying to you — about Santa Claus, or anything else — when you ask them a direct question and explicitly ask them to tell you the truth? That’s a problem. And if anyone tries to make you feel ashamed, or inferior, or like your life will be dreary and intolerable, simply because you don’t believe in this lie they’re telling you… you should be extremely suspicious. They are trying to manipulate you. It is not okay.
Me too,its from an old blog

At about the 4:05 mark!
parados

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 01:14 pm
Is Santa Thread red?

Or is it white and fuzzy?
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 05:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
priceless, thanks for sharing Frank
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 06:41 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
Basically, the idea is to discuss the experience of not believing in Santa

Much like Atheism, not believing in Santa gives us the chance to view the world as rational adults. And what more could you ask of a non belief.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 04:58 am
@Setanta,
They don't each much. Just nuts and berries, roots and tubers, you know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 05:05 am
Mmmmmm . . . tubers . . .
jespah

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 05:19 am
@Setanta,
Join a New England-based oompah band, and you, too, can play the tuber.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 05:24 am
Become a pahformah?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:16 pm
@Smileyrius,
The experience of not believing in Santa can be problematic when surrounded with kids, many of whom believe in Him. Happened to me recently. My kids are older, I forgot. I asked my nieces if they liked the princess dresses we sent them for xmas, and the oldest retorted: "Tu veux dire, les robes du Pere Noel?" (you mean, Santa's dresses?)

What I would like to know is why do we all, even the hard-core atheists among us, teach our kids to believe in this totally goofy myth of Santa Claus? Is it social pressure? Is it because, for about 3 months a year, you can better control your kids' behavior with the threat of no gifts for xmas? Is it just because it is cute? What does that say about humanity's need to enchant, to mythologize life?

;-)
0 Replies