Iraqi bloggers

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:05 am
: Iraqi blogger Mohammad doesn't want no stinkin' UNqualifications for the interim head of state of Iraq:
1-He should not be a cleric.
2-He should be at least 84 years old with life expectancy of no more than 90 for his family.
3-Should have no criminal record.
4-He should have at least 2 chronic illnesses (organic) with no possible cure.
5-He should have NO sons.
6-He should not be able to make a speech longer than 15 minutes....
10-He should have no interest in nerve gas, mustard gas, abdominal gas…etc.
11-He should have no experience whatever with guns.
12-He should NOT be a war hero.
13-He should not have a history in using words like conspiracy, historical, mother of all …., the day of days…..etc....
16-The applicant should show documents that prove that he's hated by the majority of Palestinians, Saudis, Egyptians and ARABS in general....

: River is nya-nyaing about Chalabi being on the outs (after reports that he won't be picked for the next government):
I've been reading articles about Chalabi being (very hopefully) on his way out. I can't believe it took this long for Washington to come to the conclusion that he is completely useless.

: Ays is ready to celebrate Saddam's birthday
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,161 • Replies: 22
No top replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:22 am
gee, I really hope that you are just spreading propaganda and not actually believing in your posts.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:32 am
What's your point?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:27 pm
nothing, I am just surprised how fluent english iraqi bloggers speak, and also that they're so religiously open-minded that they are thanking God in their posts...
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:29 pm
and I am also surprised that there are people that honestly think that anyone anywhere would PRAISE foreign troops in their country
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:32 pm
I suppose the French were happy to have US soldiers during WW2. South Koreans were happy to have US soldiers during the Korean war. Kuwait was happy to have US soldiers during Gulf war I. Liberia was happy to have foriegn troops just a little bit ago. I would be willing to bet that many Haitians were happy about foriegn troops as would be many Cubans.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:49 pm
Not a single war mentioned was similar to this one...

French had foreign soldiers as part of alliance that INCLUDED France - Kuwait was simply protected from agression, nobody interfered in their inner politics in any way - Liberia had United Nations troops (and, NO; they were certainly not praising them, especially not like in this phony iraqi blogs - I am from country that had UN troops, people haven't hated them or something, no, but definitely no one went online to praise them to all world). And with South Korea you are, in my opinion, completely wrong. Nobody particularly liked idea that communists can took over power in their country (talking about all world, not only S. Korea), but no one was also even near histeric about it as Americans were.

Yeah, maybe I should have made myself more clear when talking about wars, but basics remain same.

And you also have to keep in mind that I said that no one ever praised foreign troops - I haven't said that all people certainly hate them as much as they can.

And, once again, it's amazing that iraqi bloggers "speak" better english then most of american or british bloggers. That's probably because, according to their blogs, they thank God a lot.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:54 pm
First of all, your continued degradation of the writting ability of the bloggers befuddles me. You don't think it's possible that an educated Iraqi can write in English? Let me also point out that not all Iraqi's are Muslim.

Now, you said "and I am also surprised that there are people that honestly think that anyone anywhere would PRAISE foreign troops in their country"

I gave you examples and now you are backtracking. That's fine, but what is it you are trying to say?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:55 pm
So you're not disputing that these are actual Iraqi blogs? You're only complimenting them on their fine grasp of the English language?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:16 pm
Like other such posts (pastes of columns by people we haven't heard of that appeared in publications we've never heard of), this may or may not be by an actual Iraqi speaking his mind. Caveat emptor is good advice for those seeking the truth from such a source...
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:23 pm
McG I am not degrading iraqi bloggers (degrading and patronizing Iraqis is what USA is doing) - I am from Croatia and my english is pretty fine - and I definitely don't think that people in Iraq are idiots that can't learn foreign languages - however, that's one thing and another thing is WHAT KIND of English they are using - please, when you have time, read posts of other non-english members of this forum, and then read this blogs again. I am SURE that then you will know what I am trying to say. As I said - English of ALL Iraqi bloggers is better then English of many american or british bloggers.

As for your examples, I also responded to them with what I think are differences, and also said that I made mistake in not explaning in first post what I meant exactly - of course, French were not hating Americans in WW2, but you cannot possible compare those situations. Allied forces, including french movement of resistance, are liberating France (with huge, biggest role of USA, there is no doubt) and USA troops attack independent country because of never proved allegations and after it they stay, they want to use this country's resources as much as they can, they want to directly have impact of what kind of government INDEPENDENT country will have in future, etc etc etc etc etc etc.....
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:27 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Like other such posts (pastes of columns by people we haven't heard of that appeared in publications we've never heard of), this may or may not be by an actual Iraqi speaking his mind. Caveat emptor is good advice for those seeking the truth from such a source...

You don't have to just read the columns. If you click on the links, it takes you right to the blogs.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:31 pm
It’s my right and my duty as an Iraqi citizen and a human being to speak out and say that what Iraq needs is a firm alliance with the USA and the rest of the coalition, because these are the governments that have real interest in establishing a true democracy in Iraq and these are the people that I trust most

after all we are all entitled to have our opinions, you believe in what you believe and, for myself, I am completely sure that there is no ordinary person on planet that talks like that (note: it's not about "his" opinion, it's about how "he" said it). This is something Tony Blair would say - no, actually that's something Bush would say and Blair repeat.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:38 pm
It's a friggin' blog....hardly a reliable source of information beyond personal opinion. Caveat emptor indeed, D'art.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:39 pm
Quote:
About us.

In response to some e-mails asking me to give some information about who I am, my background,where I live...etc. I'm posting this piece of info. Actually we are 3 brothers, working together on this blog.

-Mohammed: 34 years old dentist/single/graduated from Baghdad university in 1995. Left his job 6 years ago because he refused to serve in Saddam's army, and now back to work in Samawa City in the southwest part of Iraq. Interests: poetry, reading (history, religions, philosophy and politics).

-Ali: 33 years old doctor/single/graduated from Baghdad university in 1995. Left his job for 3 years for the same reason, then did the military service after losing hope, just to go on with his career. Now working in Baghdad as a senior resident and studying to become a pediatrician. Interests: chess, reading (history, parapsychology, politics and novels).

-Omar (I'm the one responsible for the publishing and internet work): 23 years old dentist/single/graduated from Baghdad university in 2002. Saved from the military service only by God and the coalition. Now working in baghdad. Interests: music, sports (martial arts), reading (novels) and now blogging. We were all born in Baghdad and still living here.

Link
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:50 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
Quote:
About us.

In response to some e-mails asking me to give some information about who I am, my background,where I live...etc. I'm posting this piece of info. Actually we are 3 brothers, working together on this blog.

-Mohammed..................
-Ali..............................

-Omar............ Saved from the military service only by God and the coalition........

yeah, not all of Iraqis are Muslims. Some of them are Christians and you can recognize them because their names are usually Mohammed, Ali and Omar....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:06 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
So you're not disputing that these are actual Iraqi blogs? You're only complimenting them on their fine grasp of the English language?

Tarantulas,

I know of two famous blogs that purport to be written by Iraqis that are not. My means for discovering this isn't something I want to get into so feel free to disregard this as a "for what it's worth".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:41 pm
I wish you'd tell us which ones and all, though.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:41 pm
I'll tell you this much. The one quoted here was highly suspicious according to sources whose credibility is also suspicious.

The information that lends doubt was obtained (not by me) through ways that violate a couple of company policies and possibly some laws (about privacy and hacking) so I don't wanna get any more involved in it than to say that I've heard some damning tales about these bloggers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:44 pm
Thankee.
0 Replies