Apocolypse Please

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:38 pm
US policy towards the Middle East is driven by a rarefied form of madness. It's time we took it seriously.
By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 20th April 2004

To understand what is happening in the Middle East, you must first understand what is happening in Texas. To understand what is happening there, you should read the resolutions passed at the state's Republican party conventions last month. Take a look, for example, at the decisions made in Harris County, which covers much of Houston.1

The delegates began by nodding through a few uncontroversial matters: homosexuality is contrary to the truths ordained by God; "any mechanism to process, license, record, register or monitor the ownership of guns" should be repealed; income tax, inheritance tax, capital gains tax and corporation tax should be abolished; and immigrants should be deterred by electric fences.2 Thus fortified, they turned to the real issue: the affairs of a small state 7000 miles away. It was then, according to a participant, that the "screaming and near fistfights" began.

I don't know what the original motion said, but apparently it was "watered down significantly" as a result of the shouting match. The motion they adopted stated that Israel has an undivided claim to Jerusalem and the West Bank, that Arab states should be pressured to absorb refugees from Palestine, and that Israel should do whatever it wishes in seeking to eliminate terrorism.3 Good to see that the extremists didn't prevail then.

But why should all this be of such pressing interest to the people of a state which is seldom celebrated for its fascination with foreign affairs? The explanation is slowly becoming familiar to us, but we still have some difficulty in taking it seriously.

In the United States, several million people have succumbed to an extraordinary delusion. In the 19th century, two immigrant preachers cobbled together a series of unrelated passages from the Bible to create what appears to be a consistent narrative: Jesus will return to earth when certain preconditions have been met. The first of these was the establishment of a state of Israel. The next involves Israel's occupation of the rest of its "Biblical lands" (most of the Middle East), and the rebuilding of the Third Temple on the site now occupied by the Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa mosques. The legions of the Antichrist will then be deployed against Israel, and their war will lead to a final showdown in the valley of Armageddon. The Jews will either burn or convert to Christianity, and the Messiah will return to earth.
(I will be back in a minute to post the link to this article)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 786 • Replies: 13
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:39 pm
http://www.monbiot.com/

The rest of the article is here.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:27 pm
I was just talking about this with someone, and they said that Bush believes this too. I'm not sure if he does or not, but that article makes me wonder.

Very superstitious, writings on the wall . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:29 pm
33% of Republicans is a scarey figure.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:45 pm
I am not surprised at all, I will just be surprised if anyone admits to it outside of their conventions. (no wonder they don't want any outsiders showing up at the Republican convention if that is the kind of thing they talk about)

However, if you go to religious boards, those views are said more openly. I was beginning to think I was the only christian on earth who didn't believe in the whole rapture thing.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
Yikes. Pretty creepy theory.
"When Bush asked Ariel Sharon to pull his tanks out of Jenin in 2002, he received 100,000 angry emails from Christian fundamentalists, and never mentioned the matter again". Really??? I wonder if that's true. The story is bizarre and disgusting.
Not Monbiot's, the Bible's.
You gotta have something wrong with you to believe that stuff in this day and age.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:58 pm
according to the BBC website, there are 2 billion christians in the world, and 1.2 billion Muslims. Jerusalem and the Middle East are sacred places to both of them.

If most of the Christians believe in the rapture, and most of the Muslims believe that Christians have no place in their holy land, couldn't the rapture turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy? Hasn't it already started on that path?

I wish there was a place for us non-believers to hide for a while until they all kill each other over nothing.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 10:30 pm
I know.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:55 am
Ah one small detail, we the Muslims acknowledge the fact that long before the state of israel was established there were Christians living in Jaruselam, that it was a holy place for them also, besides its holiness for us is partly because of it being the birth place of Jesus (pbuh) who is one of the prophets of God along with Moses and David (pbut). Therefore we have (and had in the past) no quelms with allowing free access to Jaruselam for religious purposes. During the ottoman reign in the area there were active and prosperous Christian communities in Istanbul, Syria, and Palestine. If the Christians have anything to worry about regarding the holy lands it is not the Muslims.

I have to add though that the holy places in hijaz (saudi arabia) are a whole different issue. It is believed by Muslims to be off limits to any non-muslims.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:05 am
I don't see that the Christians in question will honor any Muslims in their pursuit of armaggedon.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:18 am
Tonight's Frontline should be good, its on the mix of Evangelical Christianinty and politics.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:54 pm
I missed it, hobitbob. Was it good?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:03 pm
yillmaz

I'm very pleased to see someone from Turkey here on our site! Please stick around and contribute freely to our discussions. We have a large number of folks from outside the US, but few from the 'middle east'. I bid you welcome.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:11 pm
Edgar, don't know. Just got back from karate. Very Happy I am planning on watching it when it is archived online Saturday.
the Jesus Factor
0 Replies