Do you consider the aliens (xenomorphs) from the Alien franchise as evil?

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 01:54 pm
Many characters in film and on TV (IMHO) are unfairly labeled evil.
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000088/nest/227224091

Xenomorphs (the predatory creatures with acid blood from the Alien franchise) are often considered evil because I guess they're terrifying, violent, and brutal.

Hal 9000 is another iconic character from fiction that too gets the evil label.

Are they're other infamous evil characters that you think are mislabeled and/or popularly misconstrued as such?

Ultimately, can wild animals be evil? Can mentally disturbed and ill beings be considered evil as well?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,630 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:00 pm
"Evil" is yet another convenient obscure concept for harmful, going back to the idea of personnel accountability...I am sure any good fiction has plenty of evil characters, as making a cake without eggs is yet to be invented.

From the ones you mentioned I like Hal 9000 the best. Darth Vader is childish but his breathing n look entertain enough.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Gluten free cakes is a sign that certain bakers are pretty evil. Mad
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't consider anything "Evil" unless it's portrayed as supernatural, which the Xenomorphs are not.

However, I believe the Xenomorphs are behaving on more than just instinct and have a malevolent intent toward their victims/prey.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ain't that the truth ? Smile
There can be evil bastards after all...the whole nouvelle cuisine is a freaking evil plot to turn us into mindless bots.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Polymorphs are a lot worse, they change shape. They could be anything.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:43 pm
If you define the word "evil" as "bad for the wellbeing of humans and the world in general" then, yes they're evil.

If they have any redeeming qualities for humans and or the world in general, e.g. perhaps their acidic blood could be put to good use, then they wouldn't qualify as "evil."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nope. They do what they do, is my first thought.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
HAL 9000 got its name from a simple letter displacement scheme. HAL. Use the letter after the 'H', the 'A', and the 'L' to get his true name. Hell yes it was evil.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:49 pm
@roger,
IBM and that means that HAL was an IBM PC JR. Very expensive computer for the day! It's evil parentage makes sense now.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 07:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
I suspect the Pillsbury Dough Boy should be watched very carefully.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 07:10 pm
@glitterbag,
As well as the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Shocked
mikeymojo

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 08:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ronald McDonald is super evil. The aliens from Independence Day, not so much.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 06:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Without diverting to an esoteric discussion of what Evil actually is, no, the Aliens were not evil. At least they were no more evil than a nest of hornets or a pack of wolves.

Now, if you watched Pandora, you will appreciate that their origination may very well have been evil, although this supposes that we can understand the giant, bald Engineers who are willing to shatter their bodies with planet seeding DNA, but equally willing to exterminate their progeny.

Hal 9000 was certainly not evil. He was on a mission that in the end resulted in the Space Fetus and so what was the death of Gary Lockwood in comparison?

Were the Predators evil?

Yes indeed. Although technologically advanced beyond humans, there is no reason to believe that they exist on a different plane of consciousness from ours. They weren't out there hunting deer for meat, they were hunting sentient beings for pure sport and spinal column trophies.

Independence Day Aliens: Evil. Let's grant them the possibility that their species was desperate for a new homeland, having destroyed their own through obscene dependence on fossil fuels, they, clearly, could have come to Earth asking for help. If those damned xenophobic Republicans refuse their entreaty and tried to send a nuke up the main orifice of their Mother Ship...well, then maybe we can rationalize their destruction of the White House and the murder of the President's wife.

Mars Attack Martians: Evil...obviously. If yodels could kill them, they had to be evil.

Riddick? Good guy of course, although what alien race he is a member of is totally beyond me.

Individual Orcas, maybe, can be evil.

I love Orcas. They validate humans: They are very smart. They love their families. They kill. They eat meat. They play with their prey. Give them opposable thumbs and the ability to locute on hard ground and we humans may say goodbye to tomorrow.

Motive and the ability to choose are the determining factors in what is evil.

The Aliens motivation was survival and there is no reason to believe they had the capability of choosing between their furtherance and the end of another species.

The most horrific beasts whether in reality based fiction or sci-fi are those that can't really be described as evil, because they are utterly random and unavoidable, even for those who are willing to embrace evil to live. (Aliens- Jaws)

Which leads to an interesting discussion as respects serial killers, but let's save that for another thread.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:12 am
One thing about writing evil is that pure evil is comical and nonexistent. Characters need layers. Otherwise we spend the entire book or film wondering why the protagonists didn't just kill 'em in the first scene/chapter.
0 Replies