How would you handle terrorism ?

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:09 pm
We live in a world of armchair quarterbacks. People say "Bush should do this" or "Bush should do that" or "so&so would handle it much better".... etc.

Lets hear what some of you have to say:

1) How would YOU handle terrorism ? What would YOU DO if the safety of the country was up to you?

Try to come up with a logical plan not just "hand it off to the UN" or "end all religions". Think in real terms of something that may be accomplishible.

2) Would you commit troops? Why or why not?

3) Would you pull the troops at the first sign of difficulty or stick it out ? Would you ask for help from the UN ? Why or why not ?

4) What would be your GOAL to mark the end of terrorism. When would you call it over, if ever ? Is it a problem you solve or manage ?

Feel free to post any other relevant questions I missed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 910 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:08 pm
First of all, I would do everything in my power to reduce the potential for increasing terrorism. I would not make public statements such as "I support Israel and Sharon."
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:18 pm
Off the top of my head and without too much deep thought, I present my list, subject to amendments:
I don't think we need to send troops all over the world to "fight" terrorism. I think we need to make more stringent laws to protect ourselves here, for one thing. A better plan around immigration and visa expiration checks, for another. We are a very open country but being so open that we don't really bother to do background checks or to know when/why people are entering and leaving the country is rather short-sighted. It would cost a lot, but surely less than the current war. We need to deal honestly with other countries and do the right thing more often. We should be cooperative with UN efforts around the globe. A world body is important, I would hope we have learned that, oftentimes, we need each other. We can send troops if and when they are needed to stomp out verified terrorists, with fair and impartial agreement from the countries affected. There wouldn't be an end date, but an ongoing effort and as part of our foreign policy to be forever vigilant, and fair to other nations. we have often been unfair, and this has never helped us, as far as terrorism goes.
After that, send all the religious fanatics each to their own country, somewhere around the Arctic or something, where they can await their just rewards without causing trouble to everyone else. Wink
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:25 am
Remove the primary cause of serious international terrorism, which did not exist until the Supreme Court gave the Presidency to their best friend, George W. Bush.

Then, remove the forces from illegally occupied territories.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:27 am
suzy wrote:
I don't think we need to send troops all over the world to "fight" terrorism.

I agree. Especially not to countries like Iraq without any proven links with terrorism
0 Replies

bosworth1485

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:21 am
The primary cause of international terrorism is not G. Bush. Perhaps you conviently missed the Al Qaeda training video where Bin Laden's soldiers are taking target practice at President Clinton. Islamic Terrorism has existed for decades prior to George Bush and will exist for decades after he is out of office. Eraly Islamic terrorism was a hodgepodge of Communist/Islamic organization whose goal was to drive the nation of Israel into the sea. In its present and more dangerous incarnation, exeplified by Al Qaeda, it seeks the establishment of the Umma. A global Islamic caliphate governed solely by the Koran. No amount of concession on Israel/Palestine would appease Al Qaeda. The Palestinian problem is pretty down on the Al Qaeda priorities list and when Al Qaeda does mention Palestine they usually only pay it lip service to appease the "Arab stree".
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:38 am
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:38 am
Well put, bosworth. Blaming Bush for all of this is making me nuts already. It's not that I like or support the man, especially on issues like stem cell research and abortion, but it is important to understand the complexities of terrorism, and it's deep-rooted history.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:41 am
pistoff, great article.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:13 am
thanks
Thanks. I may post some more. I really do believe that using military might will not lessen terrorism, esp. from al Q., which is growing as an octopus like org.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:30 am
Well, when Trudeau instituted martial law in Quebec over the FLQ crisis, it did crush them, but that is really the exception to the rule. Mind you, they didn't have cellphones back then. Smile
0 Replies