What does "Plans Equal Sway" mean? "will exert same influence (on banks)"?

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 02:56 am

Context:

Alibaba Plans Equal Sway for Banks in IPO
Alibaba isn't planning to give any of the banks that are leading its initial public offering a substantially bigger role than the others.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 03:19 am
No, it means that banks involved in Alibaba's IPO will all have the same influence on Alibaba's decision making. It's not about exerting influence on the banks, it's about the influence those banks will have on Alibaba.
oristarA

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 03:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No, it means that banks involved in Alibaba's IPO will all have the same influence on Alibaba's decision making. It's not about exerting influence on the banks, it's about the influence those banks will have on Alibaba.

So the word plan in the title is a noun, not a verb?
If so, what does sway mean there?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 03:41 am
I don't understand why you don't understand what is being said here. Plans is a verb in that headline (keep in mind that headlines are often truncated sentences). Alibaba (subject) plans (verb) equal sway for banks (object) in IPO. Sway means influence. The banks involved in the IPO will have an equal amount of influence with Alibaba.
oristarA

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't understand why you don't understand what is being said here. Plans is a verb in that headline (keep in mind that headlines are often truncated sentences). Alibaba (subject) plans (verb) equal sway for banks (object) in IPO. Sway means influence. The banks involved in the IPO will have an equal amount of influence with Alibaba.

Well, let's have a thought experiment:

Oristar plans equal sway (influence) on/for McTag, Contrex and Joe Nation.

It means I will exert same amount of my power of influence on the three. Does it mean the three will have an equal amount of influence with Oristar? No, because whether the three have an equal sway on Oristar, depends on the three's own volition. They have their own free will, after all, which is not controlled by God, let alone Oristar. Only when Oristar wants to wield his own power of influence, he can decide whether he plans equal sway or not on them.
Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 12:35 pm
@oristarA,
Your thought experiment is not analogous. The claim is that Alibaba will grant equal influence to the banks. You arguing that this is not likely has no bearing on what the meaning is, in English, of what was written.

Not that you ever let that stop you. If you know this so well, why the hell do you bother to come here to ask people? You know it all, don't you?
0 Replies

Joe Nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 03:12 pm
@oristarA,
Try this:

Quote:
Alibaba Plans Equal Sway for Banks in IPO

Joe Nation intends (plans) that all of the Banks involved in his IPO will have the same amount (equal) of influence (sway) on his company.

So, even though there are several banks associated with the offering, none of them will have a superior position over the others.

Joe(okay>)Nation

McTag

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:16 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe's got it.
I can't remember the previous posts, I've had too much wine.

Mc(he's a smart guy, that Joe)Tag.
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 07:40 pm
@Joe Nation,

Joe: Joe Nation intends (plans) that all of the Banks involved in his IPO will have the same amount (equal) of influence (sway) on his company.

So, even though there are several banks associated with the offering, none of them will have a superior position over the others.

Joe(okay>)Nation
-----------------

I would sat that the sway/influence has nothing to do with the effect the banks will have on Alibababa. The effects are in the marketplace. No bank will be given a trading preference in the IPO; this seems to be a departure from the norm.

------------------
http://www.morningstar.com/advisor/t/88858601/alibaba-plans-equal-sway-for-banks-in-ipo-update.htm

With that arrangement, Alibaba would be making a break from recent large Internet IPOs, including those of Facebook Inc. and Twitter Inc., which each paid one bank far more than the others that were named to senior roles.

In the Facebook and Twitter deals, respective lead banks Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs received nearly twice the fees of the next tier of underwriters, according to company filings.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 05:15 pm
@McTag,
Are you sober now, McTag?
0 Replies