what about heaven

mikeymojo

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 04:19 pm
@timur,
I'm not a Bible Thumper. READ: I don't need to believe the Bible to interpret the Bible. Unlike you I don't dismiss what is posted with my own personal beliefs. I'm doing what's supposed to be done on a forum like this.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 05:01 pm
Bottom line, it doesn't matter if you don't want to leave this, that or the other.

We all die, that's all there is to it.

Not really sure where you want this thread to go. Are you asking something? Are you just wanting us to know you don't want to leave certain things you know in life?

What is it you're hoping to get out of this?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 05:05 pm
Chai has a good point. Even if you die and "go to heaven," you won't be taking the little children and your other loved ones with you.
chai2

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 05:17 pm
@Setanta,
Don't forget your hard drives.

You won't be able to take your hard drives to heaven.

That sounds like a signature line.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 05:32 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

What do you think about babies being thrown at walls?

Sausages or ice cream?
http://img.dooyoo.co.uk/GB_EN/orig/0/6/5/8/4/658443.jpg
http://www.cafe-azure.co.uk/assets/images/news/Walls_Poster.jpg
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 06:12 pm
@qava2673,
God created us to live indefinitely on earth. If Adam and Eve had not sinned, they would still be here and we would not have war and crime and sickness and death. I'm reasoning from the first 3 chapters of Genesis.. If you read therein, you will see in ch 3 vs 15 the first prophecy in the Bible. It relates to the demise of Satan and the salvation by Jesus. More to be said, of course.

But the bottom line is that all of us living now and those who have lived and died in the past have reason to hope in this promise.
Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 06:23 pm
What a wonderfully fertile imagination you have. Nowhere in the third chapter of Genesis is Satan mentioned. Nowhere in the third chapter of Genesis is your boy Jesus mentioned. The world has suffered enough from all of that holy roller scriptural bullsh*t, it certainly doesn't need self-appointed speakers for "god" to come along to elaborate that bullsh*t.
tenderfoot

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 06:25 pm
@neologist,
You got it all wrong... your DEVIL is the true god and he made the evil god... now prove me wrong, without using your evil bible.
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 07:00 pm
@qava2673,
I'm not waiting or dieing to figure it all out.
In heaven, there is no beer, that's why we drink it here!
Pearlylustre

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 07:44 pm
@qava2673,
qava2673 wrote:

I'm not trying to control the answers but an atheist just isn't qualified to answer questions about the afterlife

We don't have any evidence that an afterlife exists so I'm not sure that anyone is any more 'qualified' than anyone else to discuss it. Hindus and Buddhists believe in an afterlife but I expect you wouldn't be any more interested in their views than mine. You really shouldn't accuse others of not being open minded.
qava2673

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 08:14 pm
@Pearlylustre,
I'm just trying to get answers that's all I'm not trying to start any conflicts or anything I'm just trying to get answers
Pearlylustre

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 08:36 pm
@qava2673,
But you only want answers that you want to hear , ones that are based on the mythology that you were brought up to believe. You might as well just make up your own comforting answers.
You sound a little aggitated...you do realise don't you that you're not obliged to respond to my posts.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 09:59 pm
@Setanta,
Were I the only one to recognize these words:
Quote:
(John 8:44) . . .That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. . .
and
Quote:
(Revelation 12:9) . . .So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth. . .
As speaking of the serpent identified in Genesis chapter 3, I would stand corrected.
As would I be educated by you were I the only one to recognize these words
Quote:
(Genesis 3:15) . . .And I shall put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed. He will bruise you in the head and you will bruise him in the heel.. . .
as referring to the one called Satan and his appointed executioner.
neologist

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 10:01 pm
@tenderfoot,
tenderfoot wrote:
You got it all wrong... your DEVIL is the true god and he made the evil god... now prove me wrong, without using your evil bible.
Are you saying there is a true God?
neologist

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 10:03 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
I'm not waiting or dieing to figure it all out.
In heaven, there is no beer, that's why we drink it here!
Ah, but yes!
Since we were created to live indefinitely on earth, there will be much time for libation and celebration. Even coffee and cola for those who eschew the C2H5OH
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 10:35 pm
Fairy tales are for children.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 01:21 am
@qava2673,
Why worry? Your cognitive "self" dissipates every time you go to sleep together with all the possessions of that "self". A constant integrated self is a psychological fiction loosely bound by a chain of personal memories. The myth is perpetuated by social forces which establish a "named self" as an individual with social responsibilities. Those who doubt this should consider the function of pseudonyms such as those on this forum.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 01:38 am
I'll be 64 in a month--I have a 93 year old mother--I've learned there are far scarier things than death.

As for heaven--to some extent I'm looking forward to not being aware--a dreamless sleep. That is my view of heaven.

My fear is the cyber singularlty. That point where the number of flip flops are available so I can be downloaded into cyberspace. This singularity really isn't that far away and this creates the potential that even after my corporal self has degraded into dust a cyber copy will remain creating an effective conscious immortality.

Rap
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 03:21 am
@neologist,
Ahem . . .

“If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.”
― Anatole France

How many people sell the same snake oil (pun intened) as you do means noting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 03:22 am
@qava2673,
You've been given answers, and good ones. You just haven't been given the answers you wanted to hear.
0 Replies