One time pulse?

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 10:51 am
It sounds to me like come once and then begone. If so, what use is it?

Context:
Before development of the American south-west led to the widespread damming of the Colorado from the early 1900s onwards, the floods that fed the river's delta kept it teeming with life. When explorer Aldo Leopold canoed the delta in 1922, he marvelled at "a verdant wall of mesquite and willow" that separated the river from the desert. Jaguars prowled outside the few human camps that existed.

To try to bring back this lost ecosystem, Flessa and his team are planning to release a one-time, 130-billion-litre pulse of water.

The water that will make up the pulse is currently being slowly released from behind the Hoover, Davis and Parker dams. It will collect behind the most southerly dam on the river, the Morelos, which sits on the Mexico-US border and normally diverts the last of the Colorado toward agricultural land.

MOre:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22129602.800-huge-water-pulse-to-bring-colorado-river-back-from-dead.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 419 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:43 am
@oristarA,
Agree, Ori, not quite the right term
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:15 pm
@oristarA,

No doubt they know what they are doing, but it seem a long shot to me.

"The eight-week-long pulse will release enough water into the dry riverbed to fill an area the size of a Manhattan city block with a column six kilometres high.
After that, the agreement stipulates that a small continuous flow, totalling an additional 64 billion litres, will infuse the delta over the next three years. It's a trickle compared with what used to reach the delta, but researchers still expect the water to bring around 950 hectares of the delta to life in the weeks after the pulse."
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:57 pm
Is the problem, Ori, that you think a pulse cannot be a one-time event? If so, you are mistaken - this is one of the meanings of 'pulse'.

pulse
noun
1. the regular throbbing of the arteries, caused by the successive contractions of the heart, especially as may be felt at an artery, as at the wrist.
2. a single pulsation, or beat or throb, of the arteries or heart.
3. the rhythmic recurrence of strokes, vibrations, or undulations.
4. a single stroke, vibration, or undulation.
5. Electricity. a momentary, sudden fluctuation in an electrical quantity, as in voltage or current.

Detonating an explosive device in air or water produces a pulse of pressure; a nuclear device produces pulses of heat, light, radiation and air pressure.

Quote:
what use is it?

It is... "designed to bring the river's dwindling delta back to life."

"We're trying to engineer a spring flood," says Karl Flessa, a geoscientist at the University of Arizona who is leading the team that will study how the delta responds. "This is a river system that historically had a huge spring flood every year. We're trying to recreate that."

That is not all that is being done. After the pulse is over, "a small continuous flow, totalling an additional 64 billion litres, will infuse the delta over the next three years. It's a trickle compared with what used to reach the delta, but researchers still expect the water to bring around 950 hectares of the delta to life in the weeks after the pulse."

oristarA

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 12:52 am
@contrex,
I posted the thread in the small hours. So I did not read through the article, which in closing it says "The hope is that this time, with a consistent base flow following behind the initial pulse, life will be there to stay."
Contrex is right except about my understanding of the word pulse, which I got it right as well.
0 Replies