What shows do you watch frequently?

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:01 am
Nope, 24 has tons of commercials. Since I watch the "Fox Widescreen" version (their pseudo HD), I don't actually see all of the commercials. Fox hasn't figured out how to handle them yet so all you see is a spinning "Fox" logo in a cube for several minutes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:02 am
Maybe it refers to 24 minutes of actual show during the hour that it's on.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:54 am
I tend to leave the TV off, but I'm glad I have DirecTV, and HBO and Starz.....

Alias...... It's the one show that I stop, sit, and watch....

24...... because it comes on after American Idol, so the TV is on that station....

I watched The Sopranos on Sunday...... first time I'd watched that show for a couple of years.....

Now, we have learned, by watching 24, that the FBI has the ability to monitor every move and phone call.....
So, where was the FBI in The Sopranos???
There is definately a contradiction between those two shows..... LOL.....
these producers and writers need to start collaborating amongst themselves.... who are we to believe??.... LOL...

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

booklover

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:09 pm
Deadwood

The Wire

The Sopranos

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Carnivale (yes, I am HBO's bitch)

The Shield

Angel (though it just ended)

The Simpsons

Queer Eye

and I can tell that I will soon be watching The Jury, since it was made by the folks who made Homicide: Life on the Street
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 10:31 am
I know watch too much tv, and I usually have it on while reading, doing art work because I like the background noise--it's company. I don't know, maybe that's an only child thing, I don't know.

Right now, I'm going through a weird phase. I usually love comedies, but there is nothing right now that I like that much. I used to like "Will & Grace," but now I only watch it sometimes. "Friends" and "Frasier" are both over. I didn't faithfully watch Frasier in prime time, but I often saw the reruns, and they were great.

I saw "Whoopie" a few times, there were some good one liners, but it was never must see and now it's been cancelled. "Less than Perfect" is cute, and I like that it's set in the tv news world--but it's been moved and I never remember what day/what time it's on. I used to catch it on ABC family in reruns on weekends at night but they no longer do that.

I loved "Monarch of the Glen" on PBS but I think the series has now concluded.
I like "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," I think the show is more positive with building bridges between people, even though there is some stereotyping, and I'm looking forward to the new episodes.
I loved Manor House on PBS, and also the Colonial House series. The only reality tv that gets me hooked.
I've been faithfully watching the "Keen Eddie" reruns on Bravo, I remember when the series was first on Fox, so I've been faithfully watching the new shows that never aired because it was canceled. It's very cheeky and clever, and the camera work a bit of a air kiss back to MTV and Miami Vice.

Recently I think I have a real life or reality aversion, so I've been watching more fantasy.
I started watching "Smallville" off and on. I also still watch "Charmed," although I think it's starting to really, sadly limp along. "The Dead Zone" I watched faithfully the first and second seasons, although the second season not as much, but I'm looking forward to the new episodes.
"Monk" is interesting and well written, but I don't usually make it through the whole show. There's something about that character that makes me nervous : )
I've been watching "Stargate SG-1" on the Sci Fi Channel both the new episodes since last year and the reruns. The reruns have been great to catch up on the stories and characters' history. My local Fox station reruns season six which is the one without the actor Michael Shanks, and they don't seem to air those on Sci Fi Channel, so I sometimes can see the missing shows and figure out what happens. I'm not usually a sci fi fan, but this show has hooked me. I'm looking forward to their new shows this summer and the "Stargate Atlantis" spin off, although I fear the spin off bodes trouble, as spin offs often do.
I think there were new episodes of "Ab Fab" on Oxygen, I missed due to conflict with Stargate SG-1, and so I've been trying to catch them, before Oxygen pulls them or changes the time slot.

On the Style Network I like "Nigella Bites" and "Nigella Forever Summer." I'm not a cook, but she is very charming and it's cool to watch. I like the Australian surfer guys too, but I've only caught a few minutes not an entire cooking show. I love the show called "Stripped," about the beauty industry, giving you the inside scoop about how they produce and market their products. I also like "The Look for Less," the show where they help people go shopping for designer looks on a budget. The stylists, Chip and Pepper, they just kill me, I'd like to run through a mall with them. That would be a blast.

On the Food Network, I just can't get into "Iron Chef" and I know that must sound awful to those who love it, but it just escapes me. "The Unwrapped" show is cool though, similar to "Stripped" on Style, it shows how different foods are made and marketed, their history, et al. I especially love when they do themes, or talk about snack foods. Sort of the story behind how we got our junk food, it's great for a trivia person type as myself.

Regularly I watch Jon Stewart for skewing of every one.
"Tough Crowd" sometimes, I like Colin Quinn, but sometimes it doesn't hit me right. It echoes back to the show, "Politically Correct" show with Bill Maher, but not as edgy. The Comedians instead of debating or more pandering of the one liners.

Generally I avoid lawyer shows, both before and now working in the legal field. However, for awhile I did watch "JAG" mostly because it was so over the top. For awhile I also watched the reruns which were new to me on USA. But now USA has rescheduled them, and so I only see them once in awhile. CBS moved "JAG" to Fridays, so I tried to catch it when SG-1 went to reruns, but lately it doesn't seem to be on. But they sort of lost me before with that whole "NavyCIS" spin off deal. I can see spinning off a new show from an original, has been done before--but at first I had no idea I was watching JAG at all--the CIS people just took over for the first part. When they do that, it's a mistake. A spin off's launch, I think should be a mix off the old and new characters interacting from beginning to end, with setting up the new characters to go off and then stand alone. I don't watch it, but from what I've read in the trades, David E. Kelley of "The Practice" seems to have the right idea with prepping his new show. I'm hoping the SG-1 producers don't make this mistake with their spin off, but that remains to be seen.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:25 am
Edithdoll, you sound a lot like me. I work in the medical profession. The very last thing I want to see on TV is some stupid showring on an episode of ER. It makes me want to barf!

Do most people love or hate TV shows that relate to the profession they work? I, for one, can't stand the glamorizing of the medical profession. We would all be doctors and nurses, if it really was that fun and exciting. I'm sure people in other professions feel the same way.

Given that I am not among the legal profession, I love Forencic Files on Court TV. I find it facinating how they catch criminals with such little evidence through techonology. I do get nauseaus at medical drama, which is so far from reality that I refuse to watch it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:40 am
I like all the forensic shows, and all the Law and Orders. I do however hate watching cooking shows, as I work in that field. I just find myself calling out every technique and tip before the TV chef gets to it. Makes me crazy...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:58 am
I knew a woman who hated Justin Wilson's cooking show. "That nasty thing," she says. "He blows his nose and doesn't wash his hands."
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 08:37 am
.Having been on the stinking side of the criminal justice system, a victim of crime, I find some of the new shows that I used to like and there spin offs irritating.

Law and Order used to be a favorite until they started winning every case. In the old days they lost more often which seemed closer to reality.

I like the CSI's because they are a new and more pragmatic approach to solving a mystery. This is really what I like to watch a good mystery story that is twisty and turn. With some kind of resolution, hopefully with some surprises along the way.

ER I did not watch in the beginning, watched for a while and then stopped.

Right now I am engrossed in the Prime Suspect re-runs on the local PBS station. I love the Jane character.
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 10:07 pm
I try to limit myself to one full hour of dedicated undistracted TV time per night. Escapism. Not that the TV is not on other times, but often as background filler while I do other stuff.

Monday - CSI Miami
Tuesday - 24
Wednesday - Angel (cnc) will switch to CSI New York
Thursday - Friends / CSI (Will & Grace during summer repeats) but will switch to Joey / Will & Grace / CSI
Friday - usually out and about
Saturday - usually out and about
Sunday - Alias plus HBO Sunday (Sopranos Sex in the City Six Feet Under Carnivale etc)

I do tend to catch two of the Law and Order series - original and SVU, but I don't watch them religiously, again - background filler. I also like some shows on cable and luv that they repeat them often throughout the week in case you miss the first airing (like HBO sister stations)

Nip/Tuck
South Park
Dave Chapelle
Reno 911
Daily Show with Jon Stewart (( High Five ))
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 03:14 am
whenever I catch them-
Bernie Mac
Arliss
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 04:00 am
The Simpsons
Various Law & Order's
Rugby League Football
CSI's if I remember they're on.
Used to watch a bit of South Park but don't get the particular channel any more.
0 Replies