Does "epidemiologic shifts" mean "Epidemiological transitions"?

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 09:39 am

Context:

There is a global crisis of severe shortages and marked maldistribution of health professionals that is exacerbated by three great global transitions — demographic changes, epidemiologic shifts, and redistribution of the disability burden. Each of these transitions exerts a powerful force for change in health care systems, the roles of health professionals, and the design of health professional education.1-5 Every country will have to respond to these global pressures for change.

More:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1111610?query=featured_home

Epidemiological transition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiological_transition
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 359 • Replies: 3

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Joe Nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 11:31 am
@oristarA,
Based on the link you gave for 'epidemiologic transitions' I'd say no. The transitions referred to there would be the same as what is covered by the words "demographic changes".
I believe that 'epidemiologic shifts' are conditions wherein an epidemic of say, dengue fever, moves in, attacks the population in one area and then moves on (shifts) to another area. Cholera does that, so encephalitis and any number of influenzas.

It could also refer to one epidemic replacing another, for example, a flu outbreak being followed shortly thereafter by many people suffering from viral pneumonia.

So, demographic changes (birth and death rates), epidemiologic shifts (movements of contagious diseases ) and redistribution of the disability burden (one or two sectors of a place having far greater or far lesser amounts of disease than other places.)

I hope this helps.

Joe(I am not a doctor, but I play one on A2K)Nation *

*That's a play on words that were in an old ad. An actor from one of the 'hospital shows' appears and says "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV." He then proceeds to tell the tv audience about the health benefits of a kind of cough medicine...as if he would know anything about cough medicine.

Here it is, just for fun.
McTag

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 05:03 pm
@Joe Nation,

What Joe said, but not so fluently. Epidemics cropping up at different times and in different locations.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 11:37 pm
@Joe Nation,
Excellent.
Thank you both.
0 Replies