Failed to understand this:

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 01:41 am
Does "Using electron microscopy the team were able to reconstruct the system as observed in the bacteria E. coli" mean "first, the team observed (by using electron microscopy) the system in E. coli, then the team made the system reappear under the lens of electron microscopy"?

Context:

Using electron microscopy the team were able to reconstruct the system as observed in the bacteria E. coli. They saw that the mechanism consists of two separate complexes, one in the outer membrane of the cell, and the other in the inner membrane, which are connected by a stalk-like structure that crosses the periplasm -- the space between the two membranes. The complexes at both the inner and outer membranes form pores in the membrane, via which substances can be secreted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 286 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 06:34 am
@oristarA,
We'd usually construct a scene with computers, not with electron microscopy.
0 Replies

Joe Nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 06:50 am
Yes. First they observed the structure using the microscope, how they then reconstructed it is not said.

I think your assumption that they used a computer to model it is correct, but they might have been able to reconstruct it chemically as well.

Joe(can't tell from the text)Nation
0 Replies