Which cause these symptoms or diseases, toxins or infections?

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:41 am

Context:

The study, published today in Nature, reveals the mechanism of bacterial type IV secretion, which bacteria use to move substances across their cell wall. As type IV secretion can distribute genetic material between bacteria, notably antibiotic resistance genes, the mechanism is directly responsible for the spread of antibiotic resistance in hospital settings. It also plays a crucial role in secreting toxins in infections -- causing ulcers, whooping cough, or severe forms of pneumonia such as Legionnaires' disease.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140309150544.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 452 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 10:09 am
@oristarA,
Read further..
oristarA

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 10:14 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Read further..

Of course I've read through the article before posting.
Accept my advice: don't pretend to be knowledgable in English.
Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 10:39 am
The toxins cause the infections. Symptoms are outward signs of a diseases. Infections are inflammations caused by a disease organism or a toxin. You need to separate your apples from your oranges.
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 10:54 am
By the way, i should point out that this is poorly written. The toxins aren't causing an infection, although that is what the English in use here says. If it were more carefully written, a distinction would be made to emphasize that the organism which secretes the toxic substance causes the infection. People readin such journals, however, understand that, and don't need to have that explained to them.

The pathogens which secrete the toxin cause the infection. The toxins cause an inflammation which is here being described (inaccurately) as an infection. Inflammations are often the outward signs of an infection. So, strictly speaking, the host organism (living tissue, whether in a human or some other organism) has been infected by a pathogen, in this case, a microorganism. That microorganism secretes a material which is toxic to the host tissue. This causes an inflammation, which is the outward, visible sign of the effect of the infection.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 11:58 am
The article talks about a "mechanism, or process, of sharing genetic sharing of genetic material between bacteria.

'It also plays a crucial role in secreting toxins in infections"

I think that this process is the "It" in your sentence.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 07:53 pm
@oristarA,
Whats with the hostility? Read again.
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 11:44 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Whats with the hostility? Read again.

Your sentence has already explained that.
You could not even write a proper sentence in English - except the one consisted of two single words.
0 Replies