Champagne For New Year's Eve?

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 02:58 am
Did you buy your bottles of champagne already?

Then you should better hurry up:

Bubbling champagne sales could lead to shortages

For more about this not just only sparkling drink:

Champagne history

Great Champagne Houses

Sparkling Wine

Little Red Riding Hood
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,908 • Replies: 9
No top replies

urs53

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 10:57 am
Walter, the 'Rotkaeppchen' story! Neat!

And thanks for all the other information. I will probably stick to Prosecco :-)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 09:53 pm
Albet i Noya getting a chill on as we speak. Actually its been chilling for a while. I always pick up Champagne for New Year, and every year they say there will be a shortage...its sad really but, I do think it is due to those who dont pop the cork, it seems a dying breed.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 11:03 pm
No need for us to worry about any kind of shortage, we usually just buy the non-alcoholic champagne.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 07:48 am
Hi all!!

It does seem that they alert us with a "champagne shortage", just about every year around this time,...funny isn't it? I don't think I've ever not been able to find what I want.
Each year around the end of November, I pick up a couple of cases of Veuve Cliquot N.V. (yellow label),..this gets used as "hostess" gifts, and as a convenient "last minute" gifts throughout the season. I usually end up with a case left for New Years Eve. I did that again this year, but also received a case of my favorite champagne (Billecarte Salmon, Brut Rose) as a gift from an old friend. So I think I have enough this year!! Laughing
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 06:30 pm
I seem to remember that the Y2K scare was also tied up with the 'we won't have enough champagne, either' scare. I can't recall running out of the stuff anytime in the last 3 years. At any given time there must be several *billion* bottles of champagne available for consumption, considering that a third of the world's population wouldn't even know what champagne is and another third don't drink alcohol, that's plenty left over.

However, this is not exactly true. Technically, only the sparkling wines of the Champagne district in France can be labelled as 'Champagne'. In agreements to export Australian wines to Europe the marketing of wines as 'champagne' or 'burgandy' had to be dropped. Not that this causes me any grief, bubbly slips down the throat just as easily when they call it "Method Champagnoise" and slap a picture of a koala on the bottle Drunk
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 08:54 pm
We served that 'cheap' champagne called beer. c.i.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:06 pm
We started out with Prosecco as planned. Then BigDice turned into Big Spender and we had real French Champagne. It was very good, I have to admit :-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:15 pm
Walter, My wife's cousin brought us champagne every year on New Year's Day for the past 15-20 years. During that time,we may have opened one or two bottles. The BIG q is whether the champagne is still good, or it is vinegar? Can we put in on the open market to sell? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:53 pm
Perhaps you can try it, c.i. - ..... next year Smile
0 Replies