When I sit and watch the surf.....................

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 05:17 pm
Waxing o'er the sandy shore
I think of all the misplaced souls
Stricken, much before their time
Lying still beneath the brine
Subject to the passing fish
Waiting for a better rhyme
Waiting for a solemn wish
Marinated in watery depths
Eternal things like Russian steppes
with eerie ripples on the back
Seeing sun as moonlight seeps
With eyeless lids and endless rack
Of barnacles.

I am particularly interested in comments on this poem for a special reason which will become clear later.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,269 • Replies: 69
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 05:47 pm
It creates a visceral image that I can feel, and for that it's well done, but it doesn't connect me with those stricken souls. It seems in that respect incomplete.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
Not sure if you want a interpretation or not.

I think it is a sad poem as I visualize lost souls who have become mentally or physically challenged individuals, and although they drew the small straw in life, they are still hoping that there is more to life than just this.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
Makes me think of a sunken ship.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:15 pm
It's evocative! Reminds me a novel I read a few years ago by Jim Crace. Also a powerful evocation of death and loss--and what is recalled of those who are gone...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:18 am
D'art, Suzy, colorbook, edgar,

This was an experiment in writing between oldandknew and me. I started a line, and he added another until the poem was complete.

It was done in the space of a few minutes, and I was curious to see if it touched a nerve with anyone who is into original writing.

If you have pen pals, try it yourself as it becomes a wonderful exercise in mental acuity and a crucible for staying psychologically alive.

Thank you so much, my friends, for your input.

Good morning
From Florida
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:13 am
Cool! it came out very well!
I may try that!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:21 am
Suzy, oftentimes, just a phrase can lead to something spectacular, and it doesn't have to be just poetry, either. It could be an essay or philosophy. The beauty of the "add-a-line" bit, is that you find, not only common interests, but opposing views as well.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:55 am
Letty, it turned out very well. It seemed as if great thought had been put into each word to accomplish the effect.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:58 am
Thank you, colorbook, and although I can't speak for the Brit, I think he will relish all the input.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
I was trying to compose my thoughts on this before I posted a response..

To be honest, I found this a bit difficult to read - I have read it several times, but am still unable to evoke the imagery which you are trying to portray.

Maybe it is because I have a very fixed image of the surf and this poem was not able to overwrite it in my brain...

I always see the surf as a lover, trying to draw the shore, its reluctant amor into its embrace. Failing everytime, but never giving up

Sorry Letty, but this is the first time it did not cut it for me
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 11:19 am
Gautam, my dear. You don't have to identify with every piece of verse, and frankly, I appreciate diverse opinions. It adds texture to any poem and makes one understand the motley character of nature.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 11:58 am
well the piece is abstract. Coz there were no pre-conceived ideas with any of it, after the 1st line, it can be read in many ways and with many diferent meanings.

The range of comments show that. so Letty & the Brit might do an encore.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 12:11 pm
Encore, encore!

Very interesting idea.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 12:21 pm
Well, do hope that Letty and London can leave all of you with lots of lines and lyrics.

Hey, Soz. You try it, too.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:50 pm
Checking in Letty--I'll be back.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:13 pm
Diane, I would love to see you and dys do a duo, too. When you do, please post it here. Fascinating how it turns out.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:23 pm
Letty, I found it to be very evocative of my experience with the ocean and the thoughts it brings to mind.

Often I've wondered about all the sunken ships filled with optimistic passengers who drowned---their relatives ignorant of the tragedy for, sometimes, months.

I've wondered what their thoughts must have been as they died, seeing the sun from underneath the water, watching the fish swim by in their element.

Death was a much closer aquaintence in the days of the wooden ships--that's what your and Oak's poem brought to mind.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:31 pm
Yes, honey. That's why the Titanic still is an obsession with many from all over the world.

The ocean is indeed, a succubus. I often think of Byron and his proclamation. He would not be pleased.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:36 pm
Love you Letty. Let's have some more shared minds poetry.
0 Replies