Did Saddam Hussein Gas His Own People?

pistoff

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 04:52 pm
Did Saddam Hussein Gas His Own People?
Reality Checks Needed During War
by Don Sellar (toronto star)

Quote:
..."Two weeks later, the fog of war over Halabja thickened a little when the Star ran a Reuters story saying a United Nations team had examined Iraqi and Iranian civilians who had been victims of mustard gas and nerve gas.

"But the two-man team did not say how or by whom the weapons had been used," the Reuters story said.

It explained that Iraq and Iran were accusing each other of using poison gas in violation of the 1925 Geneva Protocol against chemical weapons.

In September, 1988, the Star quoted an unnamed U.N. official as saying the Security Council chose to condemn the use of gas in the Iran-Iraq war rather than finger Iraq, generally believed to have lost the war with Iran."
(snip)

"...In the article, Pelletiere said the only thing known for certain was that "Kurds were bombarded with poison gas that day at Halabja. We cannot say with any certainty that Iraqi chemical weapons killed the Kurds."

Pelletiere said the gassing occurred during a battle between Iraqis and Iranians.

"Iraq used chemical weapons to try to kill Iranians who had seized the town ... The Kurdish civilians who died had the misfortune to be caught up in that exchange. But they were not Iraq's main target," he wrote.

The former CIA official revealed that immediately after the battle the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency investigated and produced a classified report that said it was Iranian gas that killed the Kurds.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0301-06.htm

Both sides used gas at Halabja, Pelletiere suggested...."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,199 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 05:26 pm
The Kurds themselves gives a very different story.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0513/p08s01-wome.html

This and other evidence is overwhelming. The article Pistoff cites may be one instance. There were many others.

I'll believe that Saddam did not intend to extermine the Kurds when somebody convinces me that the Holocaust never happened, that a fourth airplane did not crash into the Pentagon, and Neil Armstrong never walked on the moon along with all the other 'it never happened' myths that crop up now and then.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 06:28 pm
I don't get your point here pistoff. It is generally agreed the Iraq was using poison gas in the Iran/Iraq war in violation of the 1925 Geneva Protocols. If the Kurds were the mistaken victims of that policy makes no difference. It was still illegal.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:08 pm
Point
Bushco has repeated at least 50 times that Saddam used WMDs on his own people. There is zero proof that this is a fact!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:17 pm
And so did Clintonco and virtually every member of Congress on both sides of the aisle and every head of state in the industrialized world.

You're defending Saddam Hussein Pistoff?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:21 pm
Pistoff, of all the slanders you have directed against George Bush, this has the least merit.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 01:16 am
Foxfyre wrote:
You're defending Saddam Hussein Pistoff?

In Pistoff's mind, Saddam Hussein is not George Bush, so he must be good. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 03:57 am
Goofy
Right Wingers are goofy. Saying there is no proof that Saddam gassed the Kurds is not defending Saddam. This has been the bulwork of the WMDs claim. I am stating that the accusation has been leveled and there is no proof.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:00 am
Like the accusation that Bush lied about WMD's...
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:09 am
Re: Goofy
pistoff wrote:
Right Wingers are goofy. Saying there is no proof that Saddam gassed the Kurds is not defending Saddam. This has been the bulwork of the WMDs claim. I am stating that the accusation has been leveled and there is no proof.

What kind of proof are you looking for? A time machine so you can go back and watch it happen yourself?
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:26 am
It is valid to point out that there is not universal agreement on that, wouldn't you say, people?
It is not a defense of Hussein, either.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
suzy wrote:
It is valid to point out that there is not universal agreement on that, wouldn't you say, people?
It is not a defense of Hussein, either.

I agree that since this one reporter obviously does not think Saddam gassed his own people then there is no universal agreement. But something tells me you would be hard pressed to find more than a handful of others in this universe who believes he did not.

The fact remains that both the previous administration and the current on believed Saddam had WMD's and that he had used said weapons (I am counting gas weapons here as WMD's, just so you know) against his own people.
0 Replies