Native American Pastel - Nature Scene circa 1920-?

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:18 am
My great grandfather was a constitutional scholar and lawyer who argued many cases before the US Supreme Court and lower courts, sometimes on behalf of indigent clients. Being a country lawyer he would often take items in trade or barter for his services. One such item was painting a painting by an early African American surrealist that was valued in the six figure range upon it's donation to Howard University in the late 80's.

Another piece of artwork has been passed three generations to me and has been in a box for decades. It needs to find a suitable home where it can be appreciated. The family "oral history" tells a story of a Native American tribe hiring my great grandfather to represent them in dealings. He was paid with a pastel landscape, whose value then must of been commensurate with his services rendered. He practiced law in Manassas, Virginia from 1920's til the late 1950's. Any help in identifying the artist, tribe or era the painting would of been done in would be appreciated. Ultimately the artwork needs to be where it can be appreciated either an individual or a relevant institution. I can send a picture of the artwork, frame and signature upon request.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,035 • Replies: 2

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:22 am
@bluegrey1,
Or you can go to Photobucket or Imageshack, or even Facebook and host a photo of it online.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:42 am
Yeah we can't help til we see the picture.
If you don't want to open a Pbucket or Ishack account etc, just send me the pic in an email and i'll post it here for you.
Do you know how to put pics in emails? If you do, send me a private message confirming it, then I'll give you my email address for you to send the pic to..Smile
0 Replies