What do you do when someone parks too close to you?

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:18 pm
This happens to me often enough. I park in a company lot. Granted the spaces are small, but if you park right in the center of spot, there should be no problem getting into or out of your car even with a larger car/suv.

But many people do not park right, resulting in some having to park closer or even over the line. Often times, I have come out to my car where there is little room to get into my car. I have to hit their car in order to squeeze in -- and I am petite.

It happened again today. Some suv (new one too) parked over the line. I had just enough room to squeeze in. I was going to leave a mean note -- like you bonehead you deserve to have your car dinged. But instead, I left a note asking them to please not park so close as to not allow one to get into their car.

Has this happened to you? What do you do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,711 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Fiona368

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:22 pm
@Linkat,
I think writing a polite note would teach them a lesson but they won't be the same person when you park next to.

If I was you, I think I would have found another place to park because I wouldn't want my car damaged.( even though I don't drive yet) Very Happy
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:25 pm
@Fiona368,
Good point - but the only other option is to pay for parking. This is a company lot and all the spaces are the same situation - I do try for an end space but there are not many of them.

On the bright side - I drive a very old car - the very reason I drive the old car and not the new one so for me dings are not the problem. Just annoying to have to squeeze into my car. The other car was newer and I couldn't avoid opening the door into their car.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:33 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
dings are not the problem

Pet peeve .................

I drive a Mazda MX5. Wanted that car forever, finally got it at 45.

I now have 3 dings, one major. Either four wheel drives are not seeing it, in the parking lot at shopping malls or, it's deliberate..

I'm buying a four wheel drive. Hey Linkat, then you can climb out the back if need be Smile
Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:43 pm
@Linkat,
sometimes the option of paying for parking is a lot cheaper than paying $100 for ding removal at body shop
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 04:11 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
I drive a Mazda MX5. Wanted that car forever, finally got it at 45.

One of the reasons I love my old Honda - who cares after 10 years if it gets a ding. Well at about $150 month parking free sounds good.

The thing that gets me is these people have a nice car and yet park right up next to you.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 04:26 pm
@Linkat,
In Real Estate, you are "expected" to drive something classy, I always said stuff that, a car is a car and if I drive a BMW for instance, what message am I really sending? You guys pay me a lot of money haha, thanks look at my car. Wink

I just wanted a convertible. That was a dream. I'd actually like an old small jeep that would do me fine..

So we are the reverse. See, I never park next to an old car and this is the "assumption" makes an azz out of you and me, not you ... That, it is owned by someone who can not afford anything better and as such, probably would not give a damn and just open the door whether it hit my car or not.

Obviously, that's not the case or true at all.

Obviously if they are expensive cars they have insurance so don't care, I have insurance too but I don't want to claim or else the premiums will go through the roof..

I guess it's ignorance on their behalf, perhaps they just don't care, as they are insured.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 12:34 pm
@Ragman,
Actually I was thinking about what you said and any paid lot or garage I've gone to has as small spaces or more so -- they try to squeeze in more spaces for more money.

My lot I park in is an employee lot near public transportation - part of the perk I got when I signed on was free parking. The public paid lot, has spaces that are just as snuggly as mine.

I just get ticked off that some one is so dumb or that unobservate that they cannot notice that someone may be unable to open their car door to get out. Dumb, plain old dumb.
0 Replies