What does "that" refer to here?

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 02:59 am
Plus, does "unlock it" mean "unlock your computer"?

Context:

Google has acquired Israeli start-up SlickLogin in a move that could make signing into your Google accounts a lot more secure.

Of course, tech giants often acquire smaller companies for the talent, not the product, so there is no guarantee that Google will implement SlickLogin’s unique two-step verification technology. That would be a shame, because it seems like a pretty smart solution to a tricky security problem.

... The only thing that you would need to do? Hold your phone next to your computer. No need to unlock it, or enter a code of any kind. Two-step verification isn’t a security panacea, but considering the number of recent high-profile hacks — from Kickstarter to the massive Target breach — anything that makes the process easier is a step forward.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 487 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:22 am
"That" refers to this: ", , , there is no guarantee that Google will implement SlickLogin’s unique two-step verification technology."
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:28 am
It would be a shame if Google does not implement SlickLogin’s unique two-step verification technology, because it seems like a pretty smart solution to a tricky security problem.
oristarA

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:58 am
@Setanta,
Got it. The shame here just refers to a regret, not something shameful.

Who'd like to answer another question:
Does "unlock it" mean "unlock your computer"?
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:55 am
@oristarA,
Ori: Does "unlock it" mean "unlock your computer"?

Pronouns have antecedents, Ori. They are called that because they come before.
oristarA

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:05 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Ori: Does "unlock it" mean "unlock your computer"?

Pronouns have antecedents, Ori. They are called that because they come before.

Sorry, failed to get you because you haven't answered my question, JTT:
Does "unlock it" mean "unlock your computer"?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 12:59 pm
It is ambiguous because it's not clear whether "it" is referring to "your phone" or "your computer" in the passage that you cite.

From the rest of the article it's clearer that "it" refers to "your phone."

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
Hold your phone next to your computer. No need to unlock it, or enter a code of any kind.
---------------

I suggest it isn't ambiguous because the phone is the subject and it is the thing under discussion. Actions that might occur to other components would be specifically mentioned, and not with a pronoun referent.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 01:57 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

It is ambiguous because it's not clear whether "it" is referring to "your phone" or "your computer" in the passage that you cite.

From the rest of the article it's clearer that "it" refers to "your phone."

Still failed to get it. Does phone mean microphone? Or cellphone? You have to unlock your cellphone before use it. But there is no lock for a microphone. Or does the lock here mean switch? However, if you don't switch on your microphone, it gets no power and cannot work and so your comp in no way could respond to it...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 03:42 am
I would say that it was not well written (people seem to have problems being clear with technical writing, especially tech geeks), but that it refers to the phone. There is no reason to assume microphone, and if that's what were meant, it would say microphone, not phone. So, my best guess is that it means one's mobile phone, which will not need to be unlocked in order for the verification protocol to work.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 12:53 pm
@Setanta,
Set: I would say that it was not well written ...

The idiot often says this but provides nothing to back up his nonsense. That has been Setanta since day one.
0 Replies