Born Again Christians

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:23 pm
I remember in my younger days (early 20s), I used to be accosted almost daily by some born agains. In the student lounge when I was a graduate student, on the subway when I was commuting and almost any public place. They were always pleasant and friendly and I would talk nicely to them. I even remember a couple of them being surprised when I denied attending their church - I guess they are not used to people being polite or nice to them. As I ramble on - why don't they approach me any more? Since reaching my 30s or so (and I have always looked young for my age), they do not speak with me any more. Why do you think that is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,190 • Replies: 74
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:52 pm
I've seen much less of the missionary types in recent years myself. I've just sort of assumed that since they've gone all political on us, they're now kickin' back, waitin' to enjoy the show on the day when Hey-Zeus comes back to send all of us godless heathens straight to hell, where we belong . . .
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:05 pm
Jimmy Carter was a born-again Christian, and he never pushed his religion on other people. In fact, he was detested by conservative Baptists.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:13 pm
I think the new younger set is a less in the face group. And soon as I can dig the name for the group out of my memory banks I'll let you know.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:40 pm
When trolling for converts people usually target youth, they are looking for gullibility/an open mind depending on how you look at it.

I still get a lot of religious solicitations, you senior citizens are seen as a lost cause so you just get the hell-pity looks. ;-)
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:43 pm
Re: Born Again Christians
Linkat wrote:
I remember in my younger days (early 20s), I used to be accosted almost daily by some born agains. In the student lounge when I was a graduate student, on the subway when I was commuting and almost any public place. They were always pleasant and friendly and I would talk nicely to them. I even remember a couple of them being surprised when I denied attending their church – I guess they are not used to people being polite or nice to them. As I ramble on – why don’t they approach me any more? Since reaching my 30s or so (and I have always looked young for my age), they do not speak with me any more. Why do you think that is?

I think you aren't approached anymore because you are older. Cults and cult members (this is what I believe born again Christians are) approach, for the most part, people who are young (20's on down) because those are the ages when a person is most confused...still in the process of 'finding themselves'. Young skulls full of musch if you will.

Now that you are older (even though you look younger) you most likely have an air of confidence about you. You know your own mind and your beliefs have become more clear to you. The likelihood of you believing their bunk is greatly minimized and they know it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:45 pm
In addition to youth, many groups which proselytize target vulnerable people, who are beset by major life difficulties. Examples of the kind of populations that these people court are prison inmates, the homeless, and psychiatric patients.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:47 pm
Very true. Youth are also targeted for petty crimes that rely on intimidation more often as well.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:49 pm
An those who are very ill, handicapped or have terminal diseases...just watch Benny Hinn sometimes. Rolling Eyes

Also the elderly who are oft times lonely and who receive Social Security checks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:53 pm
Bottom line, these groups know that they will get nowhere with happy, successful, fulfilled people.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:05 pm
Yep! Mr. Green
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:27 pm
husker wrote:
I think the new younger set is a less in the face group. And soon as I can dig the name for the group out of my memory banks I'll let you know.

postmodern
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:53 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
In addition to youth, many groups which proselytize target vulnerable people, who are beset by major life difficulties. Examples of the kind of populations that these people court are prison inmates, the homeless, and psychiatric patients.

From the tone of that it sounds as if you believe these groups are targeted merely because they are easily susceptible to new ideas. Bear in mind, though, that it's these groups that probably would have the most to benefit from spiritual guidance. Born-again Christians hardly proselytise with the motive of ensnaring simple-minded souls as a means of getting more members to their church so as to increase their influence or anything. They simply want others to experience the same joy and love which they themselves have experienced.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:12 pm
Quote:
Born-again Christians hardly proselytise with the motive of ensnaring simple-minded souls as a means of getting more members to their church so as to increase their influence or anything. They simply want others to experience the same joy and love which they themselves have experienced.

When it comes to born-again (that's an obnoxous term in itself) Christians, I'm too skeptical to believe they only want others to experience the same joy and love they've experienced.

Like a cult, they are obsessed, and believe that THEIR way is the ONLY WAY. Which, to MY way of thinking, is pretty scary. The born-again Fundies I've come across (I have a few in-laws who fit that description) are adamant about their faith.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 05:28 am
Quote:
From the tone of that it sounds as if you believe these groups are targeted merely because they are easily susceptible to new ideas.

That is EXACTLY what I am implying. I think that when people are happy, secure, and fulfilled, they rarely have a need or interest in changing their core beliefs. It is those people who are beset by anomie, despair, confusion and doubt that are fair game for people who proselytize.

One of the motivations of these groups are to bring as many people as they are able into their fold. By targeting the vulnerable, they get more "bang for their buck".

Quote:
They simply want others to experience the same joy and love which they themselves have experienced.

A person who is secure in his beliefs does not need a claque.
I have no problem with those who would discuss their beliefs, if questioned. My problems are those who would foist their beliefs on others, "for their own good"!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 05:30 am
http://pages.ivillage.com/furangels/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/kittenwinston.jpg

Oooops. Sorry, I thought this was the cat thread.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 04:50 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
http://pages.ivillage.com/furangels/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/kittenwinston.jpg

Oooops. Sorry, I thought this was the cat thread.

Jeesh gus, how's about getting your pussy off the Christian thread, will ya? You know how much the sight of pussy scares those born again's. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:24 am
Part of the Born Again belief is to be a witness of God. In being a witness to God, it is expected that they "win" others to Christ. Similar to what many Christian ministries do.

I was never offended whenever they approached me. They were always polite and friendly. I would chat with them for a while - hey it kept me entertained and they politely stated thanks, but no thanks. Now that I think back, most of those that approached me were of similar age, so it looked like they were after like minded. Also, they always started out just making small talk and then came in with the kill. I wonder if there are just more younger aged born agains.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:33 am
Quote:
I was never offended whenever they approached me. They were always polite and friendly. I would chat with them for a while - hey it kept me entertained and they politely stated thanks, but no thanks.

Well, I AM offended. I think that it is a gross invasion of my privacy. I also don't care for telemarketers, spam, junk mail and door to door salespeople. If I want to learn about something, or buy something, whether an item or an idea, I will seek it out myself, thank you!
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:35 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
I was never offended whenever they approached me. They were always polite and friendly. I would chat with them for a while - hey it kept me entertained and they politely stated thanks, but no thanks.

Well, I AM offended. I think that it is a gross invasion of my privacy. I also don't care for telemarketers, spam, junk mail and door to door salespeople. If I want to learn about something, or buy something, whether an item or an idea, I will seek it out myself, thank you!

I feel the same way. Having a "no soliciting" sign doesn't help either... they say they aren't a business, HA!

I just tell them I'm Catholic or Jewish. They don't say much after that.
0 Replies