Paddling Children in School

ConnieMBarnes

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 04:47 pm
Paddling
I am having difficulty trying to defend my choices to NOT allow the school to paddle my children. I live in Mississippi! SURPRISED? Probably not. I am recently married and have 2 children (prior to marriage). I signed all forms to not allow it to take place. My husband is in FULL AGREEMENT with the wanna-be paddlers. ANY suggestions? Comments?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 04:55 pm
Anyone who wants to paddle a kid is disturbed, IMO.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:01 pm
I was in middle school here in Texas. My mother WAS a person who would spank. But she refused to allow the school that I was attending to spank me for anything.

I remember it involving a signed letter from a lawyer to prevent it.

I wish I could tell you details but I was only 12

I do remember getting into trouble at that school and having the principal TELL ME that one of the punishments was paddling and ask me if i wanted that or detention. I am not even sure if he knew that my mother went to great lengths to stop that.

It is even possible that she was not able to stop it at all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:10 pm
Re: Paddling
ConnieMBarnes wrote:
I am having difficulty trying to defend my choices to NOT allow the school to paddle my children. I live in Mississippi! SURPRISED? Probably not. I am recently married and have 2 children (prior to marriage). I signed all forms to not allow it to take place. My husband is in FULL AGREEMENT with the wanna-be paddlers. ANY suggestions? Comments?

On re-reading the beginning of this thread, it seems you should let the principal of the school know that you will be reporting him/her for wanting to go against your written wishes - and then making the report.

Does your husband have any legal relationship to the children? If not, the school should not discuss this matter with him.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:14 pm
The evidence is overwhelming that this sort of punishment does more harm than good. I too was shocked to see that it still goes on in the US. I agree with Drewdad, anyone who would want to hit a child needs mental help.

Connie, I think by signing the papers stating you do not want your children abused should keep them safe. If the school disobeys your order - sue their paddle loving butts into bankruptcy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:27 pm
Oh. And just so you know.. my middle school tale was from the 80's.

So, what happened to me may not be going on any more.

I will talk to my mother later on tonight and ask her about the lawyer see what she says.

Maybe she remembers what she did and can clarify for me..
0 Replies

ConnieMBarnes

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:13 am
I appreciate your responses. Unfortunately I am still defending my choices to my husband as of today. I was actually handed an open bible with the scripture on "sparring the rod, spoil the child" just last week. I am encouraged by the comments from all of you. I will not relent. THANK YOU!
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 02:25 pm
When I was in school in the sixties if a child needed to be punished with being spanked that's what they did. Some how, I think children were much better behaved at that time. There defitently seemed to be a lot more respect for people than there is today. What kind of punishment do you think should be used since you don't believe in spanking?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:43 pm
Re: Paddling Children in School
Linkat wrote:
I was researching some elementary schools for my child. When looking at one school I was interested in, I noticed with shock that part of their discipline for certain infractions was paddling. They had specific details on when paddling would be used and the amount of times they would paddle on the child’s bottom. It did not even occur to me that a school would paddle a child. Now I am concerned perhaps the private school I did sign my daughter up for in the fall could possibly use this form of discipline. I did ask how they handled discipline and there was no mention of paddling, but now I feel I have to ask specifically about it.

Has anyone had experience with a school paddling a child? Is this common? How would you feel about such discipline?

My first thought is that I despise anyone who calls hitting anything but what it is.

Is "paddling" the actual word they use? Yeecccchhhh. Would they refer to "domestic paddling" in cases of domestic violence? Or refer to one adult hitting another in the street as a "paddling"? Is paddling supposed to make hitting kids sound all cutesy?

You CAN hit kids in Oz.....some "Christian" schools do it, and some parents send their kids to these schools just so they CAN be hit. They sign some sort of "you can hit my kid" thing, though I think it is being looked at, for obvious reasons, and also, I think, because some of the far out sects have been quite vicious in their punishments.

I agree with the government that hitting kids in school is not ok.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:48 pm
jodie34 wrote:
There defitently seemed to be a lot more respect for people than there is today.

that wasn't respect, that was fear - and children fearing parents doesn't usually seem to work out well in the long run
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:14 am
jodie34 wrote:
When I was in school in the sixties if a child needed to be punished with being spanked that's what they did. Some how, I think children were much better behaved at that time. There defitently seemed to be a lot more respect for people than there is today.

I agree with ehBeth.

And I've been in school in the 60's, too (and in the late 50's) .... when spanking at school was already criminal here.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:51 am
There was corporal punishment in both of my schools, in Scotland. This was administered with a heavy leather belt, or tawse, known as "the strap", to the palms of the hands.

If you were summoned for "the strap", you knew you had transgressed badly.

I think it was necessary to keep order. I think in general, it is a good thing. Some kids will not respond to anything else.

http://www.mccustoms.co.uk/main.php?showitems=1
http://hardacre.screaming.net/punishments/imperial2.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
Jodie34

Other forms of punishment….

Removal from the classroom.

Removal of privileges like no recess.

Detention

Extra homework.

Clean the classroom.

Write a 100 times on the board, "I will behave in class"

I could go on, but there are probably a million other things that can be done without corporal punishment. How come my daughter's school has had so much success in keeping children in line and respectful and they do not allow spanking under any circumstances?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
Dlowan - yes they called it paddling. I thought I was reading something from decades and decades ago. My daughters actually attend a Christian school and they do NOT spank, paddle or hit children. After reading what I saw on that other school's website, I asked this administrator about how the handle discipline - they had a direct and appropriate system without touching a child. Her response was there is no need to spank or hit a child (when I asked about this sort of discipline) - to my relief she thought it a shocking way to handle children.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:43 pm
Linkat,

When my children were growing up I have to say I did very little spanking. My way of discipline was send the child to it's room, not being able to go outside to play and sit in a chair for so many minutes. My husband and I did spank the kids occasionally but very seldom.
When I was in school children did get spanked and I am really not against that. In those days I think kids had a lot more respect for the teachers and school officals. I do not think every punishment works for the same child. My son has said he would not spank his children but yes occasionally he does. I think there is a difference in spanking a child and beating a child. A couple of swats on the bottom can get their attention.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:06 am
I'm guessing that in the aftermath of Let It All Hang Out many children have less respect for parents, for teachers or for each other than was common 20 or 40 or 60 years ago.

Of course "many children" are not "all children". Nonetheless, an inflated sense of self-worth destroys respect for others.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:25 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I'm guessing that in the aftermath of Let It All Hang Out many children have less respect for parents, for teachers or for each other than was common 20 or 40 or 60 years ago.

Of course "many children" are not "all children". Nonetheless, an inflated sense of self-worth destroys respect for others.

Too right, Noddy. They seem to know all about their "rights" and know or care little about their responsibilities.

And now the genie is out of the bottle....?

Correctamundo! Hit them with something hard and heavy. I know it worked for me, on the lad across the road. He was never so surprised in all his misbegotten little life. And I have had absolutely no cheek from him since. Amazingly effective. AND his mother agreed with me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 12:29 pm
Sometimes I paddle my husband...
0 Replies