The next big thing: patronize Iraqis and call them children

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:44 pm
death is death, and as far as I recall more people died from flu in Colorado then in most of the Europe together this year (of course, those people have nothing to do with your "attitude" and I am sorry for those that lost their dear ones) - by the way, virus was same...
So, better don't start medical topics...

And your civilization is nothing then replica of european civilization. Except from many points beautiful Native American culture which has nothing to do with USA today of course.

But, of course, I suppose those were Americans that came to America and started your civilization.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:01 pm
I used "teenager" to identify the group of people selected (by Americans) in Iraq's new government, because that represents their inmaturity concerning governance of a nation of 25 million people of different religious and political interests. Most of them lived in other countries, and they do not understand the dynamics of the internal politics of Iraq, no less give them the responsibility to establish a "democracy" in a country that doesn't understand what it implies. I find it to be a lose-lose situation for all concerned.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:02 pm
We europians got rid of the original U.S. citizens. They dident understand the concept of owning land so we for the most part killed them off.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:
ignorancy?

Yeah, com'on, that's like that old dichotomy, infantry and adultery . . .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:19 pm
Just heard on the news that this administration is not giving full control to the governing council in Iraq on June 30. Another retract of this administration. Mistake after mistake; how do they get away with it? Many Iraqis are going to be very unhappy when they hear of this 'new' US policy on Iraq.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:20 pm
Interesting.
We are very patronizing of other cultures, and it's pretty much always been up to them to set us straight, since we don't like to be "patronized"!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:10 pm
Good ear, craven.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:21 pm
If we had left it up to the Europeans or asians, we would still be dying from the plague and living in fiefdoms.

We aren't the only bright pennies on the planet. Or were you kidding here..
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:49 pm
I agree with you Craven, but I find it amusing that so many who have followed your original posting have, predictably, assigned this patronization to the Bush Administration and its supporters. In fact, one bright light even went so far as to peg it to the ever-present and ever-dangerous "Neo-cons."

The fact is that before the war began, it was the Left who were telling us that democracy can't work in Iraq, and it has been the Left that has been telling us that all of this is for nought because as soon as we leave, civil war will break out in Iraq; that these people can't handle democracy.

Bush, in numerous speeches, has clearly made the point that freedom is not the gift of America, it is the gift of God and that all of the peoples of the world are ready for and capable of living in a democracy.

Say what you will about neo-cons (and so many will do just that) the strategy to establish Iraq as a thriving democracy within the Middle East was anything but patronization of the Iraqis.

The attempt, by some, to turn this back on conservatives would be incredibly cynical and dishonest if I didn't know that those who seem to be attempting it simply don't have a clue.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:50 pm
Re: The next big thing: patronize Iraqis and call them child
I haven't seen or heard all that much "patronizing" directed at Iraqis. I don't think it's necessary to teach people how to be free - they'll learn that on their own and build the kind of society they want. But I do think it's necessary to provide some education about how the democratic process works so people know how to vote, since they haven't really been able to do that in so many years. I read an interview with an Iraqi man who said that he would probably go vote if given the chance, and when he voted he would decide whether to let his wife vote or not. They don't have voting precincts set up, even. That whole system will have to be built from the ground up.

Craven de Kere wrote:
* I know of two very popular blogs that are obstensibly written by Iraqis that I've discovered are not what they appear through means I don't wish to disclose.

You're not really going to leave us hanging with this little tidbit, are you? That's cruel and unusual punishment!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:59 pm
finn said
Quote:
The fact is that before the war began, it was the Left who were telling us that democracy can't work in Iraq,

I'm sure you'll be forthcoming with citations.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:39 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

The fact is that before the war began, it was the Left who were telling us that democracy can't work in Iraq, and it has been the Left that has been telling us that all of this is for nought because as soon as we leave, civil war will break out in Iraq; that these people can't handle democracy.

I remember a lot of that rhetoric. I'm not sure it was a left thing but it was very patronizing and was very idiotic.

It was usually a form of an appeal to tradition argument wherin the mere fact that there is not much of a democratic precedent in the region was taken to mean there wouldn't be.

The argument was on the level of "man has never flown for all these years so that there flying contraption will never work."

I happen to think the war went well, the occupation is going well and I have high hopes for a very remarkable transition into Iraqi democracy.

Note: I thought it would turn out this way before the war, but still thought (and still think) that it was one of the worst decisions the US has made in my lifetime.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:44 am
Tarantulas wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
* I know of two very popular blogs that are obstensibly written by Iraqis that I've discovered are not what they appear through means I don't wish to disclose.

You're not really going to leave us hanging with this little tidbit, are you? That's cruel and unusual punishment!

I won't tell which ones or any other particulars but in IRC I was told by a script kiddie that he had access to the blog server. I didn't believe it but a test confirmed some sort of access (I spoofed an IP at a specific time and the dude was able to confirm access by relaying that back to me).

The "Iraqis" in both of those particular blogs were posting from the US according to him.

Lots of things make that unreliable as far as evidence is concerned, but for many reasons I am convinced it is true.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 02:18 am
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:
The fact is that before the war began, it was the Left who were telling us that democracy can't work in Iraq,

Sadly, I think it often IS (though not exclusively) a "left thing".

I have discussed this a couple of times here - (but more re "Asian values"). The left do it on a "you cannot impose our values on other cultures" thing - which has some merit - but ignores (in relation to "Asian values", too) the fact that many peoples DO aspire to democracy - as it seems the Iraqis do. Many Asian activists, living under paternalistic or repressive regimes, say the Asian values thing is a swindle sold by their governments, and swallowed by well meaning westerners.

The right, I observe, seem to do it more in a "they're children" sort of way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 02:21 am
Craven said: "I happen to think the war went well, the occupation is going well and I have high hopes for a very remarkable transition into Iraqi democracy."

By gum, I so hope you are right.

Be interested in your reasons for this analysis - I am not disputing it, especially, but I am not so sanguine - but your research is usually way better than mine.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 02:23 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Tarantulas wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

I won't tell which ones or any other particulars but in IRC I was told by a script kiddie that he had access to the blog server. I didn't believe it but a test confirmed some sort of access (I spoofed an IP at a specific time and the dude was able to confirm access by relaying that back to me).

The "Iraqis" in both of those particular blogs were posting from the US according to him.

Lots of things make that unreliable as far as evidence is concerned, but for many reasons I am convinced it is true.

Thjere is a book out, here, based on the blog - or so it says - of a young Iraqi fella - it looks wonderful. Do you know the fell I mean? I soooo hope it is not fake...
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 04:04 am
Finn D'Abuzz is right on the money. It was the left wing who said that President Bush was fooling himself when he said he could bring Democracy to Iraq. Many Democrats said Iraq was not ready for Democracy. They are the patronizers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 09:17 am
Dlowan, do you mean the young architect? Hmm, I forget the name of that blog, started with S.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:22 am
dlowan wrote:
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

Sadly, I think it often IS (though not exclusively) a "left thing".

I have discussed this a couple of times here - (but more re "Asian values"). The left do it on a "you cannot impose our values on other cultures" thing - which has some merit - but ignores (in relation to "Asian values", too) the fact that many peoples DO aspire to democracy - as it seems the Iraqis do. Many Asian activists, living under paternalistic or repressive regimes, say the Asian values thing is a swindle sold by their governments, and swallowed by well meaning westerners.

The right, I observe, seem to do it more in a "they're children" sort of way.

deb

I think there are two separate notions here. The one you speak of - the hesitancy to impose one set of cultural values onto a people with a different history - is a notion now probably shared by most everyone in the west (lots of history to look back on with some shame). But how firmly we might hold to that principle is where the interesting complexities and questions sit. Bloom made a wonderful point in his book regarding students who came into his classes with this notion as an absolute. His attempts to encourage some reflection (eg ought the Brits, during their time in India, allowed local customs to prevail, such as stoning to death wives with disappointing dowries) were often met with, "Well, the Brits shouldn't have been there in the first place!". But overall, I think most of us are now less than complacent with the idea that our values are somehow inherently superior to those of other cultures, and that the tendency to believe this is a predictable component.

The second notion or claim seems really very different... Asians are not used to democracy and therefore it will just upset them and the system so they are better off under a regime which forwards a lower regard for individual freedoms and a higher valuation for responsibility to the greater whole. But that's hardly a political axiom from the left. It is, I think, more properly seen as a PR tool used by very repressive regimes to counter claims of anti-democracy and international complaints regarding human rights (usually voiced during trade negotiations). One could also argue pretty compellingly here that the diminshed rights within such repressive regimes has been far less of a philosophical problem for the business community who require stability more than anything like a morally justifiable local political scene when operating in the third world.

My post was a protest against finn's claim, which I don't think he'll find much in the way of citations for.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:46 am
I'm increasingly impressed(?) concerned (?) (I'm not certain I have the right word) by an attitude that many of those at the conservative end of the political spectrum are beginning to express. A kind of deeply wounded sensibility and a complaint that the world really is as they think it should be, and would be, if it were not for disruptive carping critcisim and obstructionism from what they regard as the political left. That bothers me because very often the next step is to attempt stifle that criticis, or more spcifically alternate points of view in the consideration of the "greater good". There seems, to me, to be some magical thinking here. That if we think the world as it ought to be, it will become such.
0 Replies