U.S. Contractor Fired for Military Coffin Photo

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:30 pm
By Sue Pleming

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. contractor and her husband have been fired after her photograph of 20 flag-draped coffins of U.S. soldiers going home from Iraq was published in violation of military rules.

"I lost my job and they let my husband go as well," Tami Silicio, who loaded U.S. military cargo at Kuwait International Airport for a U.S. company, told Reuters in an e-mail response to questions.

The Pentagon tightly restricts publication of photographs of coffins with the remains of U.S. soldiers and has forbidden journalists from taking pictures at Dover Air Force Base, the first stop for the bodies of U.S. soldiers being sent home.

The military says the policy is in place to protect the privacy of families of those killed, but critics have said the rules are aimed at sanitizing the war for the public.

CNN link to story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 853 • Replies: 12
No top replies

suzy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:35 pm
I didn't see any names on those coffins, and I don't find that an offensive picture.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:02 am
I didnt see any names on those coffins either,but she knew the rules.
To complain about getting fired for breaking the rules is a little silly,isnt it?
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:01 am
Yes, it is.
But it's still an unfathomable rule, isn't it?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
It would seem to me to be quit fathomable a rule. It is a rule that protect those in power from having to explain the consequences of their decisions.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:25 am
I guess zero tolerance is the order of the day. Infractions more serious than this can usually result in a warning (known affectionately in the corporate world as "being written up"). It shows the level of sensitivity to any pictures (they truly are worth a thousand words) and is unfortunately looking more like a rule of censorship than protecting anyone's privacy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:27 am
Incidentally, this is a duplication of a thread already in progress:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23427
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:47 am
sorry Lightwizard, thanks for the heads up
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
No biggy -- it's just protocol to post on an existing forum with a specific subject than begin a new one. We had five or six "Passion of the Christ" going at one time!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:51 am
mysteryman wrote:
I didnt see any names on those coffins either,but she knew the rules.
To complain about getting fired for breaking the rules is a little silly,isnt it?

Sometimes it is better to be silly and show up a questionable governmental restriction, than it is to be a well-paid government contractor feeding off the great war machine.

How else to point it out?

Our culture reveres it, this Great War Machine is one of the biggest economic engines we have.

<I am so proud of the editors of the Seattle Times for having the courage to publish this.>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:55 am
Acquiunk wrote:
It would seem to me to be quit fathomable a rule. It is a rule that protect those in power from having to explain the consequences of their decisions.

A QUITE fathomable rule, you mean? Seems that way to me, too.

LW -- Is it a long thread?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:02 am
What a nice war! Nobody dies, our taxes are lowered, and our sons are protected from the draftt.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:13 am
Hmmmm....my sarcasm meter just peaked...
0 Replies