Present tense when talking of the past.

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 04:52 pm
Can I use the present tense (or is there another name when it is used this way?) when talking about a past event? Here is an example, key point being "make".

"Wow, that is so good. What is it?"

"I'm not even sure what to call it -- it's the first time I make it."

Why/why not? Please and thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 652 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 08:03 pm
@papamauri,
Can I use the present tense (or is there another name when it is used this way?) when talking about a past event? Here is an example, key point being "make".

"Wow, that is so good. What is it?"

"I'm not even sure what to call it -- it's the first time I make it."

Why/why not? Please and thanks!

/////////////////////

No, you cannot use the present tense like that, papamauri.

Perhaps you are confusing it with the present tense of story telling where we relate past events in present tense to make them seem more vivid/real/ exciting.
papamauri

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 07:59 am
@JTT,
Hi JTT, thanks for your response. Yes, it is used quite a bit in story-telling. If you don't mind, could you explain if there's a grammatical rule that makes one acceptable and the other incorrect? Or is it more a matter of convention?
Thanks,
M
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 10:00 am
@papamauri,
These are all rules of English grammar, papamauri and they become such through convention - people using language in a certain manner. There are a few other uses of the PS but your use was ungrammatical for English.

It would be grammatical for some other languages and that would be determined by convention, which becomes the rule. Such is the way for all languages.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:49 am
@papamauri,
That's a good q, Papa. Sometimes it's perfectly okay, as in

"I wouldn't say the man lied to his surbordinates yesterday. However, it is clear that he exaggerated the improvements beyond what any leader has a right to," where some might insist on "it was clear." But, after all, it might not have become immediately clear

In the case of "I'm not even sure what to call it -- it's the first time I make it," however, it's pretty clear you're not still making it. However, you could argue there's an implied meaning: "I'm not even sure what to call it when it's the first time I make it." It's the first time I make something when I'm not sure what to call it
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale: where some might insist on "it was clear.

Those would be idiots who know nothing of English grammar, Dale.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 05:09 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

"I wouldn't say the man lied to his surbordinates yesterday. However, it is clear that he exaggerated the improvements beyond what any leader has a right to," where some might insist on "it was clear." But, after all, it might not have become immediately clear

It was clear ... it was clear at the time that he was exaggerating
It is clear ... it is clear now that he was exaggerating

dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:26 am
@contrex,
That's true, Con, a very subtle diff. I think the q is, was it okay to use "was" even if it wasn't then but now is

Again context is crucial
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:27 am
@papamauri,
What did you make?
0 Replies

RedLily

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 04:30 pm
@papamauri,
Hi papamauri,

according to my knowledge. You have to say "I'm not even sure what to call it. It was the first time I've made it/It was my first time making it"

Someone please confirm. Thanks. RedLily
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 04:49 pm
@RedLily,
I will and I can confirm that you gave two excellent examples, Red Lily.

As you have shown with your examples it is experiential and we often use the present perfect to discuss experience.

"It was the first time (in my life that) I've made it/It was my first time making it"
RedLily

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 04:59 pm
@JTT,
Thanks for confirming my examples JTT.
0 Replies