The Able2know Magazine - Here's my idea.

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:37 am
Well I'm done with my exams for about a week and they all went really well so I'll probably post here for a day or two before I have to get back to work.

Meanwhile, I have an idea for the people on this site to consider. It's probably a stupid idea but I just wanted your opinions on it.

I've been thinking about how hard it is to find a single unbiased source that covers all the perspectives and presents all the information. There is soo much biased information and so many false claims floating around that its disheartening. So I'm thinking that we could put together an annual magazine, or maybe just a one time thing before this election and try and get barnes and noble and other book suppliers to put it on shelves. We'll give it a catchy cover and make it as cheap as possible. On the last page we'll explain what able2know.com is and possibly get some new members as well.

We'll brainstorm all the topics we can talk about, all the perspectives we can offer and divide the various topics up into groups of people. We'll have a thread for each article and collect on the information and perspectives on the topic. And then put it all together. Other people can offer up changes and other information and perspectives and we'll vote on a final version of the article. Then we'll compile all the best articles only.

Now I mean it when I say unbiased. We'll back every claim with facts and present each perspective on the topic well.

The magazine will basically use citations from various other news sources and raw data released to present an indepth analysis of various issues.

It will summarize all the major revelations and criticisms of both candidates over the past four years and will explain both perspective on it. For example for Bush we can explain the various criticisms of him and Iraq from ONeil, Clarke, Woodward and many others and offer up the defence from conservatives as well. All the controversial stuff that bush did and why he did them.

For Kerry, we can present all the controversial seemingly contradictory votes he cast and stances he took and explain why he claims he did them and why the conservatives claim he did them.

We can have an article presenting the campaign ads from both sides and explaining the accusations they make and why they might be seen as misleading or failing to present all the information.

For example, we could explain the most controversial components of the patriot acts and present both people's main concerns over them as well as the republican's reasons for backing these proposals and how they might make law enforcement easier.

We'll anaylize the various other important issues this election cycle, iraq, sodomy, gay marriage, pollution, tax cuts, the national debt, welfare, the drug plan etc. We'll present the major criticisms of each, the major changes proposed, the various perspectives and arguments on each and base all of these on facts. We can even offer up our own proposed changes of the drug plan, welfare etc. in a way that both sides can agree.

I think that between all of us, we can probably recruit atleast a hundred people or so from this site and from other sites, forums etc, it wouldn't require much work from any one of us.

We could start it this summer and finish it by August, try to get it on shelves by october just in time for the election.

This is in initial phases and there is more stuff to work out but what do you guys think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 424 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Centroles

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:41 am
I know I won't be on this site much for a bit but I'll be done with college by May 8th and I'll have three months that I can devote to this.
0 Replies