Does "dealing them one loss after another" mean ...

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:52 pm
Does "dealing them one loss after another" mean "winning victories one after another over them"?

Context:

Boehner Is Hit From the Right on Overhaul for Immigration
By JONATHAN WEISMAN and ASHLEY PARKER Since October’s government shutdown, Speaker John A. Boehner of the House has been in open warfare with outside conservative groups, dealing them one loss after another, but on immigration they flexed their collective muscles.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 466 • Replies: 16
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 04:21 pm
@oristarA,

yes.

"Dealing" is an analogy with a card game. The dealer gives out the playing cards to the other players.
oristarA

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:04 pm
@McTag,
Thanks.
Does "outside conservative groups" mean "outside (the House) conservative groups"?
McTag

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 02:49 am
@oristarA,

Yes.
Conservative groups outwith the House (outside the government).
oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 02:53 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Yes.
Conservative groups outwith the House (of Representatives?).

I wonder whether Americans could understand the meaning of outwith, which is Scotland-esque and I find it out from my dictionary (I know Americans are too lazy to check out dicts).
contrex

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 03:53 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
I wonder whether Americans could understand the meaning of outwith, which is Scotland-esque and I find it out from my dictionary (I know Americans are too lazy to check out dicts).

Much as I would like to agree with you, I have to state that there are many lazy British English speakers too.

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 04:13 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Much as I would like to agree with you, I have to state that there are many lazy British English speakers too.

The Chinese that are lazy speakers of their own languages number in the hundreds of millions.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 09:33 am
@oristarA,
Within and without; outwith...maybe it IS a bit old-fashioned.

But hard to understand? Surely not.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:46 pm
@contrex,
Contrex: I have to state that there are many lazy British English speakers too.

Pure Contrex piffle. (matched by InfraBlue)

Even if it was true, Contrex, would that be worse than you, an incredibly lazy English "teacher" who can't be bothered to learn how language works but nevertheless feels justified in stealing money from his students in exchange for old wives tales?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:53 pm
@contrex,
What does a lazy British (or any other nationality) speaker mean?
oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:37 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

What does a lazy British (or any other nationality) speaker mean?

If you haven't understood what a lazy British speaker means, how could you have commented on such a thing, JTT?
JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:46 pm
@oristarA,
One day you too will understand sarcasm, Ori.

Watch how Contrex will avoid, studiously, addressing his lame contention.
oristarA

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:43 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

One day you too will understand sarcasm, Ori.

Watch how Contrex will avoid, studiously, addressing his lame contention.

Dear JTT, no one's lame here.
Waging war is not suitable here.
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 10:35 am
@oristarA,
Contrex's notion was fatuous, Ori. If it had any veracity he would explain and defend it. He is totally incapable of either. He is exceedingly good at making stupid comments about language.
oristarA

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:01 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Contrex's notion was fatuous, Ori. If it had any veracity he would explain and defend it. He is totally incapable of either. He is exceedingly good at making stupid comments about language.

Your point is tilted, JTT.
Being statistically correct is vital. No one's absolutely accurate in anything, including language.
Contrex has done very well. He has given me true knowledge about English. Do I have to expect Harvard professor-level linguistic skills from anyone here? A2K is free of charge. You cannot expect that.

JTT

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:05 am
@oristarA,
He described an idiotic notion that you seem intent on defending because you seem to hold to the same idiotic notion. Contrex has spread more than his share of just plain dumb. He's just bright enough to know that. That's why he makes himself scarce after doing so.
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 12:27 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

He described an idiotic notion that you seem intent on defending because you seem to hold to the same idiotic notion. Contrex has spread more than his share of just plain dumb. He's just bright enough to know that. That's why he makes himself scarce after doing so.

To made your judgement not too lame, you have to prove your little theory with substantial data, JTT.
0 Replies